Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick question

Options
  • 01-02-2008 1:07am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,
    A call to settle a score.
    I bought and, tonight wore, a t-shirt with the face of Friedrich Nietzsche on it.
    http://www.popdestroy.com/ebay/img/tees/nietzsche.jpg

I own "Beyond Good And Evil" and have read bits and pieces of it - as much as I can.
    Was it pretencious of me to wear the t-shirt?

Steve.

Pretentious? 26 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    42% 11 votes
    Friedrich who?
    57% 15 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

Some people think it is pretentious because they dont understand what it means.

Each to their own IMO...

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Well yeah in that you wanted to project an intellectual outer-image of yourself to the world. In essence you are rejecting yor own identity in favour of a mask of self-projection, and rejecting your hunter gatherer origins and better self to create a non-existant association with an intellectual Diety. It could be seen as a form of intense rebellion ala Camus, but you probably just looked like a knob.
    Next time stick with the Che Guevara underpants.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Hmmmm...it's a funny T shirt, I sort of like it.

Wear what you want, man. Forget about other people having an opinion about it...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

I have no affiliation with Che Guevara.
    I agree, to a limited extend with Friedrich Nietzsche.
    For example "Is man a blunder of God, or God but a blunder of man".

Also, to say that image the Che Guevara is overly clichéd is an understatement.
    If somebody looked at my t-shirt and said "Hey, Nietzsche! Nice". I would have infinitely more respect for them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

It is a bit if you haven't even read any of his stuff... Do you actually know anything about him?

I used to (early teens) wear Che Guevara t-shirts even though I hadn't a clue who he was. In retrospect I was a bit of a goon-arse.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

1) You have to wear clothes
    2) If people don't know Nietzche well they won't know who it is
    3) It's better than a lot of clothes

But, I suppose, it's best to wear these things only if you are confident that people will understand why you're wearing it (you're a philosophy lecturer during rag week etc) as opposed to them misinterpreting why you are wearing it (because you're too lazy to read the book but you're happy to pretend you have).

I don't get Nietzsche.
    I'm a Camus man.
    Or a lonesome traveller maybe. I also quite enjoy the I Chong.
    Good ole Tommy.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

If anyone asks you about the t-shirt just say, "I just thought his moustache looked cool". They'll really respect you then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Oriel wrote: »
    Also, to say that image the Che Guevara is overly clichéd is an understatement.
    If somebody looked at my t-shirt and said "Hey, Nietzsche! Nice". I would have infinitely more respect for them.

What if I wore a T with a Jacques Derrida image emblazoned on it...would you say "Hey Derrida! Nice.":)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Oriel wrote: »
    a t-shirt with the face of Friedrich Nietzsche on it.
    http://www.popdestroy.com/ebay/img/tees/nietzsche.jpg

That looks more like a drunken James Connoly than Friedrich Nietzsche.

DaveMcG wrote: »
    It is a bit if you haven't even read any of his stuff... Do you actually know anything about him?

I do know quite a bit about him. I've bought and read bits from Beyond Good And Evil. It's not quite the Famous Five kinda reading flow. I studied him for A-Level English Lit coursework.
    The Epigrams chapter of from Beyond Good And Evil is his best, to be fair.
    And no, I'm not taking him in the same way that Hitler did.

"The Gay Science" was pretty ballsy too for 1882.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭need assistance

Sorry, don't mean to be abusive but if was walking down the street seeing someone wear a t shirt like that my response would be "tosser, maynooth must give out a free t shirt to everyone who fails first arts" Christ, advertising your own imagined intellect and what books you own, you are up with John Waters in the pretentious sake. Like wtf did Einstein go around in a t shirt exorting the virtue of the relationship between mass and energy?

Some of his greatest epigrams:

"I cannot believe in a God who wants to be praised all the time."

"Ah, women. They make the highs higher and the lows more frequent."

"All truly great thoughts are conceived by walking."

"And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."

"Faith: not wanting to know what is true."

"In music the passions enjoy themselves."

"A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything. "

"After coming into contact with a religious man I always feel I must wash my hands."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭2Scoops

After careful consideration... pretentious! :D This secondary comment sealed the deal for me:
    Oriel wrote:
    Don't worry though, nearly everyone else is too.

Sorry, don't mean to be abusive but if was walking down the street seeing someone wear a t shirt like that my response would be "tosser, maynooth must give out a free t shirt to everyone who fails first arts" Christ, advertising your own imagined intellect and what books you own, you are up with John Waters in the pretentious sake.

Please, be as abusive as you like. Honesty is good.
    I'm not an arts student, I work for an IT company.
    My intellect is not imagined. I'm perfectly concious of it.
    I don't go round picketing ****, I just bought a t-shirt with a man's silhouette on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭Mweelrea

For anyone who answered Friedrich who?
    Here you go: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friedrich_Nietzsche

Sorry if I did not make myself clear, you could not look more of a tosser if at the age of 28 you went around with a t shirt saying I got second place in the under 10 egg and spoon race at Athenry Community Games

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Well, they tend to be fairly competitive about their egg-and-spoon races in Athenry, tbh, so that would still be something to boast about ...

Jeez, man, take a chill pill! :rolleyes:

The hilarity in posting the wikipedia page on Nietzsche to explain to anyone who has never heard of the guy will not soon be lost on me.

• Advertisement

Put it this way, if your Da had a shirt with a picture of your ma on it saying "I shagged her", would you not think he was a tosser? Having a t shirt with a photo of a semi obscure, doubtful ideology philosopher scores only slightly lower on the tosser scale. I know you have a background in IT so probably the best things in your life comes in 1's and 0's but spare a thought for whatever poor girl has to accompany you while you wear such things

Put it this way, if your Da had a shirt with a picture of your ma on it saying "I shagged her", would you not think he was a tosser?
    Assuming for a moment that the message on the t-shirt was accurate (and given that you defined this couple as my mother and father, there is some evidence for that assumption), wouldn't that imply that he was in fact something more than a tosser?
    so probably the best things in your life comes in 1's and 0's
    Actually, the best thing in my life comes in spurts all over yore ma's face!

I cant believe you like anti-aging cream that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Simpology

You don't see a picture of Friedrich Nietzsche and think wow, superman theories, awesome! now this might be based soley on the appearance of Friedrich Nietzsche himself, which isn't too appealing but most likely because not alot of people are familiar with him or his writings. Where as Che Guevara was a revolutionary icon of the 20th century, and that may be the difference :p

My apologies, call it a pet hate of mine, over years of experience I find that people who advertise their own imagined intelligence, are usually, how can one put this, not the brightest star in the sky, or if they are male they have more chance of successfully passing a pregnancy test than completing the sun simple crossword. A) how sad to buy the t shirt B) how sad to advertise the same on the internet and C) to claim to own a book by the same? As for you allegedly relationship with my mother fair dues but if it comes in the way of m inheritance I will hunt you down!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

sometimes a t-shirt is just a t-shirt folks - not worth getting bent out of shape over.

My apologies, call it a pet hate of mine, over years of experience I find that people who advertise their own imagined intelligence, are usually, how can one put this, not the brightest star in the sky, or if they are male they have more chance of successfully passing a pregnancy test than completing the sun simple crossword. A) how sad to buy the t shirt B) how sad to advertise the same on the internet and C) to claim to own a book by the same? As for you allegedly relationship with my mother fair dues but if it comes in the way of m inheritance I will hunt you down!
    Em ... you have actually noticed that I'm not the OP?

As to yore ma, you can't say fairer than that. I think you're safe enough, actually, she prefers to pay Cash On Delivery rather than let it mount up, so there's no debt accruing. Apart from that, I don't think the Dail ever did add on that bukkake clause to the inheritance laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Sorry, don't mean to be abusive but if was walking down the street seeing someone wear a t shirt like that my response would be "tosser, maynooth must give out a free t shirt to everyone who fails first arts" Christ, advertising your own imagined intellect and what books you own, you are up with John Waters in the pretentious sake. Like wtf did Einstein go around in a t shirt exorting the virtue of the relationship between mass and energy?
    Infraction given.
    Please do not reply to that post or this one.
    Thanks.

Oriel, are you the guy who was wondering about moving South?
    I'm really bad with names.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

DaveMcG wrote: »
    In retrospect I was a bit of a goon-arse.

Was?

Haha, I joke. :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Wear the T-shirt. If they don't kill you, you will be stronger...

Advertisement