Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Useful Posts & Advice, Give it a read.

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭LenovoUser

Bronica SQA , built like a tank, the most beautiful photos imaginable, but it does require concentration, not a snap shotter !!!

The Bronica lenses were mostly designed and built by Nikon earlier on, about 40 years ago. they still show that quality too, so having a Bronica SLR is like having the medium format equivalent of the classic Nikon 35mm film cameras.

Same level as Hasselblad, though the Bronica is much heavier and tougher, all-metal :-)

You can drop it !!!

When you press the shutter release and hear the big CLUNK you know the job is done, you don't need any instant playback.

Photos can be enlarged as big as your front door .

Suggest you also buy a digital for snapshotting and fun - best bargains are the panasonic lumix range with zoom LEICA lens .

And the digital will fill in as a lightmeter and preview for your whopping great medium format film camera - now that's one sure way to get results like a pro :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Arkana

Well, as mentioned before by Thonda and quoted by Lenovo (or so), those cameras are big, bulky, heavy and solid. But expensive - not nessesarily. New ones might still be - used ones rarely are!! Due to the - in the professional area too! - development to digital, used medium format (120/220 film) cameras cost only a fracture of what they have cost five years ago. I recently saw in a German Mail Order shop a brilliant Mamiya RB67 (neg. size 6 by 7 cm!!) with standard lens, magazine and viewer in very best technical and optical state for only 229 (!!!) Euro. Cheaper than a previously mentioned Lumix with Leica Lens (which I like and use as well).
    But you need time, patience and knowledge to work with those cameras properly - it is surely NOT a hobby camera, but a camera for a serious amateur photographer with a home studio and a very solid tripod!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

Photographers who "know" won't be reading that post when looking for new camera ;)

ThOnda wrote: »
    Photographers who "know" won't be reading that post when looking for new camera ;)

So, you are considering yourself NOT as a photographer who "knows"?
    That is the only logical conclusion to be made from your uttering - for giving this kind of answer, you MUST have read that post!

An old Roman/Latin phrase goes: 'O si tacuisses - philosophus mansisses!'

With this I leave this niveau losing realm...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

Well, I wrote that post :-)

• Advertisement

ThOnda wrote: »
    Well, I wrote that post :-)

Quod erat demonstrandum.

Intelligence is a rare resource. If you find some, just tell me.:D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Folks, are the flickr instructions still the same as I cant figure out how to upload successfully??

Edit, never mind figured it out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 43 bimlico

Hi, You mentioned in your post that digital stills cameras had a zero % loading see below. Does this mean that any stills camera that I purchase is not eligible for import duty. I'm thinking of purchasing a camera from Hong Kong but if there is significant import duty on it it would not be worth it.

Many thanks

Jack

Lens - 9002 1100 90 - 6.7%
    Digital Still Cameras - 8525 8030 00 - zero rated
    35mm Film Cameras - 9006 5380 00 - 4.2%
    Disposable Cameras - 9006 5310 00 - 4.2%
    Large Format Cameras - 9006 5900 00 - 4.2%
    Flash - 9006 6100 00 - 3.2%

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

you can do a search on the taric codes yourself to get most up to date info

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 abmcolour

DarrenG wrote: »
    This is being asked quite a lot so I thought I'd put together a small list of how duties are calculated and at what rate. Maybe this could be combined with the Ultimate Photography Sticky.

1. Public notice 1179 - deals with goods of a negligible value and gift consignments

http://www.revenue.ie/index.htm?/leaflets/pn1179.htm

2. Schedule of Customs Duties - this will give you the TARIC number and rate of duty for all items

http://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/dds/tarhome_en.htm

Here are the most common TARIC numbers that we would be concerned with

Lens - 9002 1100 90 - 6.7%
    Digital Still Cameras - 8525 8030 00 - zero rated
    35mm Film Cameras - 9006 5380 00 - 4.2%
    Disposable Cameras - 9006 5310 00 - 4.2%
    Large Format Cameras - 9006 5900 00 - 4.2%
    Flash - 9006 6100 00 - 3.2%
    Filters - 9002 2000 90 - 6.7%

3. Calculation of taxes

Duties are calculated on the price you paid for the item and any shipping and insurance costs associated with it. VAT is then calculated at 21% on top of this

Customs use a monthly exchange rate for calculating the Customs Values. If required, Customs will issue a currency fluctuation if there is a large change in currency exchange rates

http://www.revenue.ie/index.htm?/services/elecserv/euroserv/eurcon1.htm

4. Courier/Postal companies

UPS will normally collect the taxes when delivering the goods
    FedEx will normally send an invoice after you have received the goods
    An Post will normally collect the taxes when delivering the goods

It's my job to know these things so if anyone has any questions, I will try to answer them and add to the above list.

I have searched for camera tripods and tripod heads in the TARIC codes link provided in this sticky with no success. Is it possible you may be able to add the rates for these items in the sticky?

Thanks in advance.

• Advertisement
Advertisement