Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog had to be subdued

Options
  • 31-01-2008 2:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Don't know why I'm posting this here - but I've been feeling sh1t about it all day, and not sure if I should be. I had to stop a loose bulldog attacking 2 young girls earlier on today, but feeling bad about the way I had to handle it.

Was taking a shortcut through one of the estates on the way back from one of the lads houses and had 2 grls screaming and running in my direction with the dog a few metres behind. I ran over trying to keep a barrier between the dog and them - but it was barking and snapping at everyone that went near it. There was an older couple walking the same path but they couldn't do anything but shout and bang a stick. We kept this up for about 20 seconds but it was trying to get past me. When it bit my leg and I couldn't stop it I'd to grab it and pin it the ground. It bit at my hand twice and out of anger and fear I had to break its neck for everyones safety. I'm just back from Naas with a few stitches in my calf and an injection, but it's a lot better than seeing a story on it in the local paper 'bulldog attacks young girl'

Like, I am an animal lover through and through - but when a dog, especially one as vicious as this, is out of its mind intent on harming/killing what can you do?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

fair play to you - you did exactly the right thing. If it had been me, I would have been scared out of my mind and the dog probably would have caused carnage. Honestly, you had no other option but to do what you did - don't second guess yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭nmk

Jesus, fair play to you for keeping your composure. It really sounds like you couldn't do anything else, it's not like you instantly injured the dog before trying other options 1) preventing it from attacking the two kids/distracting it and 2) trying to scare it away. I love animals too, especially dogs, and would hate to injure any animal but in that situation you don't have a choice but to act to protect the two girls. I would have issues with the dogs owner there as s/he should have kept their animal in a controlled environment and not allowed it to roam free. It put two children in danger, frightened the life out of the older couple and resulted in you getting injured and requiring medical attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Well done, you made the right call. If the dog had gotten past you it could have been far worse for one of the girls.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭leahcim

Well done, you were very brave to put yourself at risk to protect the girls from the dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

its ok, you did the right thing protecting those girls. its normal to feel so shook,especially when it was so close to you. just try to relax and remember, it was them or the dog,you saved them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭Marksie

Well done. If you had to kill it you had to, it really wasnt your responsibility but the responsibility of the "owners" who should have ensured that it was unable to escape.

I am sure there are laws on letting dogs run essentially wild, but they do seem to be ignored wholesale (all the dog owners on my street let them run in the road.)

Was there any id on the animal? If so you could reprt it to the council or teh gards. As it bit you in particularly.
    I dont know if legally you would be liable for compensation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Well done, don't feel bad about it you did the right thing. You deserve a medal for what you did, a lot of people couldn't keep their head in a situation like that let alone pin down a dog and break its neck when its in "kill" mode.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭AngryBadger

Well done man, from the sounds of it you had no other choice in this situation. And if you hadn't acted then those two schoolgirls would have been maimed if not killed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭Gumbyman

You did great. Fair play. The owners of this dog could do with similar treatment imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭agent_smith

one word. hero. That was a ballsy thing to do. A pissed off pitt bull is a formidable animal. It would have savaged those girls. you did what you had to.
    Should be proud of yourself and not beating yourself up. Imagine those girls were your daughters and came home savaged. Does not bear thinking about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Well done, hard as it may be you did the right thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭4Xcut

You did the right thing, made even harder for you because you are an animal lover. The thing to remember is that the dog may not have actually been viscous by nature. Often it can be the case that the owners mistreated it, perhaps deliberately, which caused this. Now, in fairness, the dog may have been naturally viscous, but it is a sad fact that some people have no respect for animals and have no moral qualms about making a placid or friendly dog viscous.

Gumbyman: be warned we do not advocate violence.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

My Hero!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭kittensoft1984

OP you did the right thing. you are also very brave!

i know i wouldnt have been so brave in that situation.

You had no other choice, isnt is better to save the lives of 2 young girls?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,963 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Did the right thing, bladdybladdybla :)

Any chance of finding the owner? Someone raised/neglected that dog into being vicious to humans.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Good man you did the right thing - how do you snap a bulldogs neck. Is it not about a foot wide? Id keep a low profile in case the owners try and sue you.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

that was so brave of you!!

Seriously, if anyone should feel bad about what happened it's the owners who not only raised it to be so vicious but also failed to secure it in their garden. It is their fault that the poor animal had to be subdued. You saved two little girls from being mauled to death and you did what you had to. Just think about all the kids who've died in the last few years from violent dog attacks. Fair Play!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

kmick wrote: »
    Good man you did the right thing - how do you snap a bulldogs neck. Is it not about a foot wide? Id keep a low profile in case the owners try and sue you.

now that'd be a thick (brass) neck!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭Gumbyman

Marksie wrote: »
    Gumbyman: be warned we do not advocate violence.

Apologies - got a bit carried away. These people should be held responsible though. Is it a crime to leave dangerous animals like that run loose? Reckless endangerment or something like that?

• Advertisement

Gumbyman wrote: »
    Apologies - got a bit carried away. These people should be held responsible though. Is it a crime to leave dangerous animals like that run loose? Reckless endangerment or something like that?

Thats OK, but violence is no solution. i agree that irresponsible owners should be responsible for their actions in this regards.
    Especially as the OP had injuries.
    A fine and a large settlement in compensation may be the only way they will understand.
    Thats why i asked if there was any ID on the animal.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,280 ✭✭✭✭fits

Gumbyman wrote: »
    Is it a crime to leave dangerous animals like that run loose? Reckless endangerment or something like that?

It is against the law to have any dog in a public place where they are not 'under control'. Furthermore if the dog is either one of the restricted breeds list or a crossbreed thereof, they should always be on a leash and muzzled when in a public area.

Unfortunately, these laws are largely ignored my some people leading to incidents like the one described above.

OP you made a judgement when you were in the situation and there is no need to feel bad about the dog. If the dog was so aggressive with humans it would have been put down as soon as the wardens got their hands on it anyway.

Where is the dog now? It might be worth checking for a microchip if there are no contact details on the collar. I would definitely be pressing for a prosecution and compensation if I were you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭milkerman

fits wrote: »
    If the dog was so aggressive with humans it would have been put down as soon as the wardens got their hands on it anyway.

Sadly, not always the case. Some years ago my neighbours dog got loose and came into my place (crapping by the cubic metre)and bit me when I tried to chase him home. I went to the neighbour and told them and they laughed it off. I went to the local Garda and basically he said that as there were no previous complaints the dog was given the benefit of the doubt, 'first bite' was the exact expression.

As it happens, the dog also took to crapping & running around the fields behind the house. Local gun club member sorted the problem 12 bore style when the dog took to harassing pheasants in the game sanctuary (was probably crapping on them).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

Poor you, must have been terrifying and if you love animals so much it must be particularly tough but what other choice did you have? Very very brave imo, get well soon:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Mighty_Mouse

You snapped a pitbulls neck??....................but only after he's tried to bite the ickle children.................I'm a sceptic
    [QUOTEDon't know why I'm posting this here [/QUOTE]
    Every superhero needs his applause?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Susannahmia

Wow fair play to you. Your a hero. Don't feel bad you did what you had to do, the dog would have had to be put down anyway and could have seriously injured someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,805 ✭✭✭Calibos

You snapped a pitbulls neck??....................but only after he's tried to bite the ickle children.................I'm a sceptic
    Don't know why I'm posting this here
    Every superhero needs his applause?

Are you intimating a 'Walter Mitty' ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭mickoo

kmick wrote: »
    how do you snap a bulldogs neck. Is it not about a foot wide?

I was thinking that too!! sounds like BS to me.

And agent_smith, it was a bulldog and not a pitbull, its people like you that give pitbulls a bad name.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,280 ✭✭✭✭fits

milkerman wrote: »
    Sadly, not always the case. Some years ago my neighbours dog got loose and came into my place (crapping by the cubic metre)and bit me when I tried to chase him home. I went to the neighbour and told them and they laughed it off. I went to the local Garda and basically he said that as there were no previous complaints the dog was given the benefit of the doubt, 'first bite' was the exact expression.

As it happens, the dog also took to crapping & running around the fields behind the house. Local gun club member sorted the problem 12 bore style when the dog took to harassing pheasants in the game sanctuary (was probably crapping on them).

A garda is not a dog warden. If you have a problem like this in future, the dog warden is the person to call. They will seize the dog if it is running loose and causing problems like this.
    mickoo wrote: »
    I was thinking that too!! sounds like BS to me.

And agent_smith, it was a bulldog and not a pitbull, its people like you that give pitbulls a bad name.

I cant imagine a bulldog being in this situation. They are really quite rare in Ireland and wouldnt really be known for their energy :D.

I also have no idea how anyone could catch and snap an aggressive dog's neck.

Hmm could be walter mitty stuff alright.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭far2gud

+1, Defo

Advertisement