Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible Conspiracy Happening right Now???

Options
  • 30-01-2008 7:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7218008.stm

I don't know why but this doesnt fly well with me at all. Middle Eastern Countries loose internet???

If something happens soon we will know I am right about something but I am not sure what.

Just a little fishy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

or maybe a cable was accidentally damaged as has happened elsewhere in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

Yes, it's possible, but the key question is to who's advantage would this interruption be? It seems unlikely a ships anchor would damage an underground sea cable. It would be more likely that underwater exploration or excavation on the seabed would be the cause. But I don't know enough about this subject to comment further.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭jessop1

Oracle wrote: »
    Yes, it's possible, but the key question is to who's advantage would this interruption be? It seems unlikely a ships anchor would damage an underground sea cable. It would be more likely that underwater exploration or excavation on the seabed would be the cause. But I don't know enough about this subject to comment further.

Why does it seem unlikely that a cable lying on the seabed could be damaged by a ships anchor lying on the seabed? Especially given the huge tankers that pass through the area.

jessop1 wrote: »

Nice story but in what previous war did all undersea communication cables get cut?

• Advertisement

cutting communications is a well used tactic in war, but to answer your question, world war 1.

at the outset of the war, the Germans had five transatlantic cables that ran through the English Channel. One went to Brest in France, another to Vigo in Spain, one to Tenerife in North Africa and two to New York via the Azores. The English cable ship Telconia cut them all in England's first offensive action in the war.

This could well be a prelude to military action or perhaps USA/Israel are testing the responses of their middle east enemies. Maybe something to do with the impending iranian oil bourse? wasnt saddam about to do something similar before they invaded iraq?

cutting communications is a well used tactic in war, but to answer your question, world war 1.

at the outset of the war, the Germans had five transatlantic cables that ran through the English Channel. One went to Brest in France, another to Vigo in Spain, one to Tenerife in North Africa and two to New York via the Azores. The English cable ship Telconia cut them all in England's first offensive action in the war.

This could well be a prelude to military action or perhaps USA/Israel are testing the responses of their middle east enemies. Maybe something to do with the impending iranian oil bourse? wasnt saddam about to do something similar before they invaded iraq?

Okay I'll rephrase my point. There are numerous forms of communication in the modern world. It would be very difficult now to completely knock out communications. In fact I'd suggest it would be near impossible to do so. Why knock out internet communication as a prelude to an invasion? The Iranian military are sending each other emails when they want to issue orders? Was the Iraqi internet knocked out?

Why would the USA and Israel need to test things on the real cables? They could use any cable lying on the seabed.

meglome wrote: »
    Okay I'll rephrase my point.
    You mean you will make a new one. You asked in what previous war undersea cables had been cut and I told you.
    There are numerous forms of communication in the modern world. It would be very difficult now to completely knock out communications. In fact I'd suggest it would be near impossible to do so.

Who said anything about completely knocking out communications? Its the internet we are talking about here.
    Why knock out internet communication as a prelude to an invasion?
    The Iranian military are sending each other emails when they want to issue orders?

You are being trite. But I will humour you. A couple of examples of why it would be of benefit to take out the internet.
    Example1: restricting the enemy's capacity to operate, financially and otherwise. Given the amount of transactions that happen electronically these days, this one is kind of a no brainer.
    Example2: narrowing the bandwidth they have to monitor in order to spy on all of the enemy's communications.

I'm sure there are a host of other strategic reasons why an attacker would take out internet communications as a prelude to war.
    Why would the USA and Israel need to test things on the real cables?
    You're missing the point completely. I'm talking about testing or the enemy's response, for example monitoring their capacity to mobilise alternative communication methods.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

there is something a wee bit suspect about more than one cable 'breaking' at the same time alright.

Meglome, ah I wont even bother, theres no point tryin to talk to you.

You mean you will make a new one. You asked in what previous war undersea cables had been cut and I told you.

In WWI these were telegraph cables. You were talking about internet communications.
    Who said anything about completely knocking out communications? Its the internet we are talking about here.

Indeed. Why would knocking out the internet stop any country's military from operating? Especially in the middle east.
    You are being trite. But I will humour you. A couple of examples of why it would be of benefit to take out the internet.
    Example1: restricting the enemy's capacity to operate, financially and otherwise. Given the amount of transactions that happen electronically these days, this one is kind of a no brainer.

So Iran has an open economy with lot's of foreign internet transactions? They extensively use the internet to operate what exactly? How high is internet usage in Iran?
    Example2: narrowing the bandwidth they have to monitor in order to spy on all of the enemy's communications.

According to you, you were talking about internet communications, not general communications. Why would cutting international internet links effect local communications in any way?
    I'm sure there are a host of other strategic reasons why an attacker would take out internet communications as a prelude to war.

Which ones?
    You're missing the point completely. I'm talking about testing or the enemy's response, for example monitoring their capacity to mobilise alternative communication methods.

Why would testing the enemies response to fixing international internet cables be relevant in a war situation?

• Advertisement

there is something a wee bit suspect about more than one cable 'breaking' at the same time alright.

Meglome, ah I wont even bother, theres no point tryin to talk to you.

I never said it wasn't suspicious or unusual. But given that these are some of the busiest shipping lanes in the world then the official reasons given for this are perfectly plausible. However that doesn't exclude any other possibility. I'm just fascinated that without any actual foundation we now have another big conspiracy on our hands.

I have no problem seeing both sides of this, which is more than I can say for you generally.

I got this from another forum:
    . wrote:
    4 total cables, 3 separate locations

First cable cut
    ===============
    Jan 30 (Wed) 0800 FLAG cable; 8.3km from Alexandria in Egypt.
    URL="http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7218008.stm"]link to news.bbc.co.uk[/URL

Second cable cut
    ================
    Jan 30 (Wed) SEA-ME-WE4 cable thought to lie alongside FLAG cable was also split; 56km from Dubai.
    (same BBC link as first cable above)

Third cable cut
    ===============
    Feb 1 (Fri) FLAG Falcon fibre optic cable running through the Suez to Sri Lanka; cut somewhere between Dubai and Muscat.
    URL="http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/third-undersea-cable-reportedly-cut/story.aspx?guid=%7B1AAB2A79-E983-4E0E-BC39-68A120DC16D9%7D"]link to www.marketwatch.com[/URL

Fourth cable cut
    ================
    Feb 1 (Fri) An undersea telecoms cable was damaged between the Qatari island of Haloul and the UAE island of Das.
    URL="http://www.arabianbusiness.com/510132-internet-problems-continue-with-fourth-cable-break?ln=en"]link to www.arabianbusiness.com[/URL

there is no official story yet as to how it happened, just speculation that it was anchor dragging. But cuts in 3 completely separate locations all in the same week? suspicious. all areas in the region bar israel and us occupied iraq? suspiciouser.

Info in the links as to how this is impacting the affected areas. Meglome have a read of those. I'm not asnwering any more of your questions you are obviously taking the piss.

Info in the links as to how this is impacting the affected areas. Meglome have a read of those. I'm not asnwering any more of your questions you are obviously taking the piss.

As I said above it is unusual and possibly suspicious.

Maybe there were some undersea quakes... Maybe it was a competitor of the this Flag company who own the cables... Maybe it was storm... Maybe it was a ships anchor... Maybe it was different random events that caused the damage. I really don't know and neither does anyone else so why take the view it's an American and Israeli plot over any other possibility?

That's just repeating the potential for an attack on Iran, which we already know there is no evidence of. It doesn't give any proper reason why cutting international internet links would greatly effect Iran or make an invasion more likely to succeed. Pure speculation... actually I think it was aliens, they are going to grab our oil then move out from there. Bound to be true, evidence be damned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

False alarm, Turns out Nemo chewed the Cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

When I started this thread it was Farfetched even in my mind and it was only the bones of a Theory. But the More I look at the Evidence the more it seems plausible.

Just think the Middle east is gone Dark because of Cables breaking. But, American interest can still be served to their full extent. A little Fishy if you ask me.

I dont think it will be too long until the World Leaders decide it is time for America to go to war with Iran.

What excuses will be used this time? Any Idea's?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Do they need one?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭pirelli

http://blogs.wsj.com/biztech/2008/02/06/conspiracy-theories-behind-those-cut-undersea-cables/

Its happened 7 times.

Point to remember It's hard to locate a cable.
    They are buried closer to shore.
    It's harder again to cut it as it is so deep.

It could be about Business interest's or mafia problems.

• Advertisement

pirelli wrote: »
    http://blogs.wsj.com/biztech/2008/02/06/conspiracy-theories-behind-those-cut-undersea-cables/

Its happened 7 times.

Point to remember It's hard to locate a cable.
    They are buried closer to shore.
    It's harder again to cut it as it is so deep.

It could be about Business interest's or mafia problems.
    Well, I go with the "shark with lasers strapped to it" option. It's the only logical explanation!

theres skepticism, and then theres attempts at active derailment of a thread.

I personaly believe that there may be something more sinister behind these outages, I'm not sure what it is yet tho.

if infantile humor is ALL you wish to contribute then why bother?

and its 'frickin Sharks with Frickin Lazerbeams'

theres skepticism, and then theres attempts at active derailment of a thread.

I personaly believe that there may be something more sinister behind these outages, I'm not sure what it is yet tho.

if infantile humor is ALL you wish to contribute then why bother?
    Have you looked at the link?

and its 'frickin Sharks with Frickin Lazerbeams'

Damn, I couldn't remember what the quote was :(

yes, and its a bit wierd. if there was no story why the denial. like I said it seems to point to something more, go after the conspiracy nuts and ridicule them in the mainstream press is a time honoured tactic

But a denial isn't proof of a cover up. And making fun of conspiracy nuts isn't a disinfo tactic, it's just making fun of conspiracy nuts. The media needs to sell itself. And the best way to do that is by the car crash mentality, make your audience feel superior to the subject of the article. It's nothing against the conspiracy nut themselves, it's just the media trying to make money.

they still felt the need to make the denial, there are other views of what is and isnt a disinfo tactic, this is one of them in my view

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Maybe shutting up a couple of Middle-East hosted fundi websites for a little amount of time ? Intelligence based operation against e-mail traffic from certain quarters ? Creating an opportunity to put in some high tech monitoring hardware ? Or maybe just incompetent navigators having ships anchoring in the wrong place ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭esskay

Just a thought, if you could get physical access those cables, what type of monitoring equipment could be installed? Rather than knock out internet access, maybe its to monitor or even inject false data so that it physically originates from that area?

As I said, it just a thought that floated through my head...

Advertisement