Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opera Centre

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭McSween

Dare I ask if Marks and Spencer will be coming 😀?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Nah, they're going across the road into the redeveloped Arthurs Quay!

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Glenomra

All the plans/models are up on the limerick 2030 site. Very impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Jose Maria

Ya thanks I've seen the plans, just didn't see anything about Quinns reopening as a pub

I was at an open evening and I was told by one of the officials that the plans are to develop Quinns as a pub/restaurant space. Presumably dependent on expressions of interest in same. Hopefully!!!!

• Advertisement

A tower crane was erected on site today, so the construction of the office block on Michael St and Ellen St is about to start.

I thought that construction wasn't due to commence until 2024, that this year and much of next year was to be given over to underground work etc. I didn't hear that any contracts had been signed for the office block development. Very much hope that you are correct, as you normally are with news on construction projects.

Sisk won the contract to build the basement for the whole site and first office block. The other office blocks and the library are currently out to tender.

Thanks. Great news. People need to see actual construction work on this site. It might convince many of the doubters that the development will actually be built and would change some of the negative commentary about the future of Limerick City Centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

• Advertisement

It's literally under construction. 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Parkway Valley/Horizon Mall was literally under construction in recent history as well

A private developer was building Parkway Valley when the crash happened 15 years ago. They went bust. The Horizon Mall idea never even went to construction as the developer was a shyster.

A private developer is not building Opera Square. It is being built by Limerick 2030, a public body under control of the council, and it has been fully funded. It is under construction and will be built.

The two are not in anyway comparable.

The first concrete pour happened yesterday. Hopefully we'll see the office block rise above the hoarding early in 2024.

@Glenomra replying to your post from the Limerick Improvement Projects thread.

I am not a construction expert but I've been told that there were 2 significant concrete pours at the Opera site, 400 square metres and over 700 square metres. Presumably that means that foundation work is progressing well and that relatively soon we might some construction work on one of principal buildings. That would a red letter day imo.

Plenty going on behind the scenes.

repetitive I know but that's transformative and might convince a few of the naysayers that progress is being made.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Paddico

Great to see plenty going on there

From FB.

Thanks. Magnificent photo. A transformative development, I hope!!!!. incidentally when can we expect construction on the old Workspace site begin to rise over the level of the hoardings. Also, is there any contract signed for any other development on the site, other than the Workspace site.... if you know same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Vanquished

There's significant risk with 'One Opera Square' Six floors of office space with capacity for 1,000 workers at a time when demand for office accommodation is plummeting and most companies are operating a hybrid model. We can only hope they'll do a better job of marketing it to potential suitors than they did with the 750 desk capacity 'Gardens International' which still has two entirely empty floors and barely 200 of a headcount working in there.

It'll take a new FDI tenant to bring any significant level of occupancy to One Opera Square you'd imagine. It'll be interesting to see what Savills and Cushman & Wakefield can attract to 1BQ which should be finished by the middle of next year. That'll be a litmus test for the Limerick commercial market.

• Advertisement

I know that the contracts for the new library, the apartment infill on Rutland St, the tower and the Granary were advertised. I've no idea if they've been awarded though. AFAIK none of these can start anyways until the basement works are completed.

One Opera Square to be complete by March 2025.

The whole site to be under construction by the end of 2024.

The whole project to be finished by the end of 2026.

Sorry for a question that's probably answered but does 2026 mark the completion of just this single building or of all the planned buildings on the site. I find it difficult to envisage all the development including hte 14 storey building on the old Cahill May Roberts building being complete by 2026.

The building under construction will be finished by March next year.

I don't know if it will be finished by the end of 2026, but it's definitely possible.

I know that One Opera Square is currently funded and under construction. Just wondering about the other components of the entire development. Presumably the library and office space for revenue will be government funded. That leaves the apart-hotel, Quinns pub, the Georgian buildings and the 14 storey block. Should people be concerned at the fact that no developer has been decided on for these developments, presuming that there was interest, if the entire project is to be completed successfully. just wondering.

Limerick 2030 say that the entire project is funded. The library and accompanying office building, the 14 story tower (where Revenue will be relocating to) and the Granary redevelopment went out to tender for construction last year. Just because they haven't announced a developer yet doesn't mean that one hasn't been chosen. Sisk were already on site before they were announced as the developer of the current phase (And I'd be surprised if they don't end up building the whole thing).

Plus only last month they announced that construction would begin on the next phase by the end of the year.

Parcel 1 is One Opera Square. Parcels 3 & 4 (library, offices and apartment block) and parcels 5 & 6 (tower and Granary) were put out to tender last year and are the next parts due to begin construction.

I haven't seen anything about Parcel 2 (aparthotel and Quinns), but that doesn't mean things aren't underway in the background.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭timesnewroman

Before Christmas, I heard from someone well placed that there was a high likelihood that a hotel chain and one of their affiliated restaurants would be taking a section of the development on Ellen St.  If it were to come to fruition it would be an exciting addition to Limerick. 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,826 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Advertisement