Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

West Coast Eagles Thread

Options
  • 28-01-2008 11:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭

Seeing as we have a few weagles fans here, thought it'd be good to keep it all to one thread like in the soccer forums.

So what are the hopes and expectations for the year? For one, I hope to have no more off field incidents. Eagles are far too reknowned for it at this stage, with many players getting involved in lat night incidents etc, of course Cousins being the most famous of them all. Altho hasnt started too well, with new Recruit Chris Masten getting involvd in an incident at the Foreshore in Perth on Australia Day and being fined $2000 and suspended from pre season games. He would be on the fringes, but a bad start for the off field year for the Eagles anyway.

Replacing Judd and Cousins is a huge task, and not sure how the team will cope without them. They did spend a lot of the season without the pair, and even without Kerr, but there was always something at the back of the mind saying they will be back soon. Priddis, Stenglein and Embley would probably be the main candidates to fill the role alonside Kerr, but suppose we'll just have to see how pre season goes.

As for title expectations, I dont think we should expect a whole lot. The club is in a bit of transition with new players and trying to rid the club of all its problems and keep out of the headlines for the wrong reasons. If we made the playoffs I'd be very happy, which I dont think is a huge target for an experienced club who still have a lot of quality. I dont think we could win it out, but no reason not to get a top 4 spot and cause an upset here and there.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭hanton12

Eagles have announced plans of their new stadium to be built adjacent to Subiaco. Wont be completed tho until 2016!

http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/story/0,21598,23180266-5005401,00.html

Dean Cox is set to sign a long term contract too keeping him at the club for a long time. Good news, as they need stability in their experienced players.

Looking forward to NAB cup, to see how the team is shaping up and what positions are being filled. Mitch Brown, young new recruit is being touted as the new centre back. Seems to be doing really well. Probably to play alongside Beau Waters and Nicoski, so a relatively new half back line, but plenty of talent. Full back line of more experienced players in Jones, Glass and Hunter, but who knows what Worsfield will field once the season starts. Midfield is a huge void to be filled, so must see who steps up to the mark and nails down those positions.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Mitch Brown played last year. Looked alright in the game time he got. Couple of big losses alright but I feel we're good enough to get in the top at the very least and maybe cause an upset in the finals.

Good news on the new stadium, though it's a long way off.

I'll be heading to the NAB Cup game against Freo on Sunday week so might have a few pics to put up.

Daniel Kerr tore his hamstring at Subi in an inter team match so he's gone for minimum of three weeks. Dean Cox will also miss the NAB Cup game with Freo. Great start.

Very disappointing to lose today in the first day of the year, although it happens every year in the NAB Cup.

Freo put out an almost full strength side with Pavlich, Tarrant, Sandilands and Farmer all making good contributions for them. We were missing the likes of Kerr and Cox through injury while Embley, Hunter, Steinglein and Braun were also on the sidelines. It was one way traffic throughout with the Dockers up by a massive 39 points at the half. Injuries for both sides with Docker Paul Hasleby suffering a bad looking knee injury and for the Eagles, Priddis tweaking a calf.

Worsfold doesn't seem to care about this competition at all as every year it's mainly rookies and youngsters involved. Over 32,000 at Subi. Unfotunately I wasn't one of them as I was at the Interpol gig (which was great)!

sounded like it was an uneventful game, with the Dockers losing Hasleby to what looks like a long term injury. Eagles with a very understrength side. As I said in another thread, wouldnt really pay much attention to NAB cup results, its more of a way of getting the younger players introduced and part of the set up. Just hope Kerr's injury wont prove to be too bad and he'll be back for the start of the season.

• Advertisement

NAB Challenge Match:
    West Coast 14.15 (99)
    Collingwood 9.12 (66)

A good hit out for the Eagles in Albany today. Andrew Embley and Michael Braun had their first competitive action of the year. David Wirrpanda had three goals while Brent Staker got 2 from his new midfield role. Dean Cox apparently was his usual dominant self in the ruck.

Slight injury for Ash Hansen who may miss next week's game.

Mitch Brown injured himself and looks out for the season. Knee reconstruction. Injuries plaguing the Eagles at the moment, club is getting no breaks at all. just need the season to get started now so I can watch a few games instead of relying on papers and people in Perth telling me about games!

NAB Challenge Match:
    West Coast 3.2 9.6 12.11 15.13 (103)
    Carlton 3.2 4.3 6.6 9.8 (62)

Comfortable win for the Eagles in the end against a very young Carlton side. Goals came from Seaby 2, Lynch 2, McKinley 2, Armstrong 2, Priddis, Kennedy, Hurn, Schofield, Notte, Arrowsmith. Best on ground were Seaby, Priddis, Armstrong, Lynch, Schofield.

Only one game to go now before the big kick off!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭gucci

hanton12 wrote: »
    Mitch Brown injured himself and looks out for the season. Knee reconstruction.

Frick!! My automatic complete of my fantasy team picked him!! and he was one of the few players i actually recognised!! Great start!! :(

http://www.thewest.com.au/default.aspx?MenuID=211&ContentID=61542
    West Coast should have Daniel Kerr back in time for their AFL round one clash with Brisbane, and could also have their No.1 draft pick Chris Masten if the pair’s pre-season continue on an upward trend.

Kerr has not, and probably will not, play a pre-season game before the March 22 meeting with the Lions after tearing a hamstring in an intra-club match last month.

But Eagles coach John Worsfold said today the club’s No.1 midfielder, following the departure of Ben Cousins and Chris Judd, was 80 per cent fit and on course to play in the season opener.

“He certainly won’t play this week, and then beyond that we haven’t really talked about it, other than expecting him to be right for round one,” Worsfold said.

“He’s running his 100m run-throughs in under 14 seconds, which means you're getting up towards 80 or 90 per cent (fitness), I guess.”

Masten has also missed the entire pre-season campaign for different reasons, disciplined by the club for a drunken Australia Day brawl which led to a guilty plea in Perth Magistrates Court to disorderly conduct.

Still suffering that punishment, Masten will miss out on selection again for the NAB Challenge game against Essendon at Subiaco on Friday.

But having played practice matches with his WAFL club East Fremantle, Worsfold said Masten was doing his best to get back into the Eagles’ good books.

“He is up there and in good touch.

We’re really pleased with his form, he’s shown some great signs, and East Fremantle have been rapt with how he's going about it,” Worsfold said.

“It would have been nice to see him get the opportunity, but that hasn't eventuated.

It certainly won’t stifle him, I think he’s going to have a great, long career.

“He wasn’t available through the NAB Cup, and he was certainly injured in the first one of those anyway.

But he’s available now, playing good footy, and if he keeps his touch up, he’ll certainly be looked at.”

With controversy swirling around another AFL club for a change, as Sydney coach Paul Roos fronted the AFL today to answer claims he instructed Jarrad McVeigh not to kick at goal during an NAB Cup match, Worsfold said he was happy with the pre-season format.

And the Eagles coach said he could see no value in preventing betting on the NAB Cup games, saying those who wanted to lay bets in pre-season would have some knowledge of which players clubs were fielding.

“Punters are pretty cluey, most of them anyway, they know what they are going into so they know what teams are doing,” Worsfold said.

“I think they go into it with their eyes wide open so I don’t think there would be any issue with people betting, knowing that teams might not field their strongest team in any given week.”

Great news if Kerr's available for the Lions game. We're gonna need a good start to the season and he'll be one of those players we need big performances from.

• Advertisement

NAB Challenge Match:
    West Coast 15.10 (100)
    Essendon 14.10 (94)

A surprisingly good game in Subi tonight apparently. I was gonna go but a work do with free piss had to come first.

Bombers were up by 26 points at one stage in the third quarter but three quick goals from Ash Hansen turned it around. He finished with five overall.

Andrew Embley also showed flashes of his ability with 32 touches and 13 marks while Chad Fletcher had 14 touches in the last quarter alone.

Matthew Lloyd and Dustin Fletcher returned to action for the Bombers tonight.

good win for the eagles over the weekend, even if they did let a huge lead slip away and be losing at one stage. Dean Cox was great (cue jokes about how great it is to have big Cox in the Eagles team) and played as a midfielder/forward moreso than a ruckman. huge amount of diposals for him. Goal distribution seemed to be fairly well spread in comparison to the Lions who relied heavily on Jonathon Brown to keep them in it, with some great marks and huge kicks. Seaby was very good too, and some good performances in teh middle with Kerr and Priddis

LeCras seems to have a severly injured groing tho, and that would be more bad news for the season.

shockingly poor performance by the eagles against the Crows. Adeliade won handy in the end, and dominated throughout. The only saving grace I can take from the game was that the Eagles played way below their ability and were ****e. If they had to have played well and still lost like that (much like Essendon I thought werent too bad against Geelong) then I would be worried. Some shocking kicking and passing. Embley, Seaby, Hanson, Waters, all missing simple goal chances. I thought Masten and Ebert did quite well for opening games, but again, both hit wides while shooting for goal. Cox played well again, and Kerr and Priddis did a lot of running. Glass was solid at the back, and Lynch was really the only target we had up front.

Big derby game next week (again, luckily live on Setanta Sports) so hope to see a huge improvement and keep Freo winless.

Yeah massive game on Saturday and I've to go to a work conference between three and five. Not one bit f*ckin happy.

things seem to be quiet enough in Perth for the Western Derby from what I am hearing and reading, would you think so yourself Xavi? Think neither side is overly confident of a win, and dont know what to expect. Freo need a win to get their season started, and Eagles need to rebound after a horror show against the Crows. freo alwyas raise their game more so than the Eagles I have thought in recent years, even if it didnt necesarily mean they were a better team, but just seemed to give a hell of a lot more effort in recent times than the eagles, even in defeat.

The only thing i am hopeful for tho is the Eagles realise they as a team owe a lot to the supporters who are still there in their thousands, as it has been a rough year last year and I'd hope they go out and stuff the dockers and restore some pride in Perth. its fecking awyful having to live there and listen to some of those fools go on about winning derby games, almost as if its the only game that matters to a lot of freo fans, but I suppose being a smaller and weaker club, thats the case! ;)

Josh Kennedy is rumoured to be making his debut. Team needs a bit of a shake up after last week. would love to be going to Subiaco for this one, nothing like the atmosphere there for a derby game!

Embley out for Swans clash

11th April 2008, 8:15 WST

West Coast will go into tomorrow night’s AFL match against the Swans without vice-captain Andrew Embley, who is ill.

Embley, the Norm Smith Medallist when the Eagles beat Sydney by a point in the 2006 grand final, did not join the team on their flight east for the ANZ Stadium clash.

“Embley was unwell on Thursday morning and as such the club decided against flying him to Sydney,” the Eagles said in a statement.

The Eagles are already without in-form midfielder Matt Priddis (knee) and David Wirrpanda (hamstring) and have dropped Brad Ebert, Chad Fletcher and Mark Nicoski.

Embley was named in West Coast's 22-man side yesterday.

Steven Armstrong, Jamie McNamara, Matt Rosa and Chris Masten were promoted and Matt Spangher will be the fourth Eagle this year to make his senior debut.

All-Australian ruckman Dean Cox was included despite injuring his foot in last week’s loss to Fremantle.

The struggling Eagles, 13th on the ladder with a 1-2 (win-loss) start, can bring in one of their three emergencies, Ebert, Josh Kennedy or Nicoski, to replace wingman Embley.

The Eagles will train at ANZ Stadium today while the fourth-placed Swans will have a light recovery session after training at the stadium last night.

So no Embley, Wirra or Priddis, Cox playing injured and Fletcher and Nicoski dropped. I see a real spanking on the cards tomorrow.

not looking good alright. In fairness tho, Nicoski and Fletcher have been poor in the last 2 games. Suppose they are trying to build for the future by having the likes of Masten, McNamara and Spangher starting this one. Need to get the season going now tho if to have any chance of making the finals. Really need a forward to step up to the mark and take on the responsibility inside. Priddis was going well around the middle and was impressed by his workrate and his disposals were generally very good. Passing all around the pitch tho was shocking last week.

I see Kerr is getting a 3 match suspension for his headbutt against bulldogs. Nice one! Season is just going from bad to worse. And Hern looks to be out injured too, he was one of the better players of what I have seen this season.

Yep looks like it could be five games for Kerr. Write the season off now please!

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭BazBox

any matches lately, i was in perth for christmas but it was off-season then. my brother lives there full time though so i must get onto him for results

i was under the impression that the eagles were one of the best teams around, are they struggling this season?

• Advertisement

The Eagles were one of the best teams up until this season but they've lost the two best midfielders (and probably players) in the AFL - Chris Judd and Ben Cousins. A lot of the older lads have gone such as Daniel Chick and Rowan Jones and the current team is just far too young and experienced. The team is in a transitional period at the moment.

http://www.thewest.com.au/default.aspx?MenuID=12&ContentID=75334
    Key Eagles a chance to return at MCG

26th May 2008, 16:30 WST

Solid form in the WAFL and predicted fine weekend weather in Melbourne could combine to give Mark Seaby a chance to prove his worth to the Eagles on the biggest stage of all on Saturday.

Premiership players Daniel Kerr, Beau Waters, Ashley Hansen and Sam Butler are also in the mix at the selection table this week.

The Eagles take on high-flying Collingwood at the MCG, a ground where the club historically uses two ruckmen.

Adding to Seaby’s chances of a recall to the West Coast line up is the likelihood of the Magpies going into the clash with a full arsenal of big men, including number one ruckman Josh Fraser and Chris Bryan.

Former Lion Cameron Wood, who stands 204cm tall, is also a chance to return for Collingwood.

Seaby has averaged 13 possessions and has performed well at ruck contests in three WAFL games with West Perth this year, but has had limited chances in the national league.

Star midfielder Kerr will have to prove his fitness at training on Wednesday after injuring his ankle while representing the Dream Team on May 10.

Kerr has been out of club action through suspension since planting a Round 6 head butt on Scott West.

Waters must also prove his fitness on Wednesday after a niggling groin injury kept him out of the team last week.

Butler, who hasn’t played since the 2006 grand final, appears to have overcome his soft tissue injury and has found form in the WAFL with Perth. However the Eagles may leave Butler out of the team to allow the midfielder to gain full match fitness.

Hansen booted five goals for Swan Districts against Peel in his return from a hamstring injury and is expected to make the step up to AFL level this week.

The MCG poses a different sort of test for the Eagles' young squad with many of them having played only a handful of games at the famous ground and several have never played there.

"The 'G" can prove intimidating to even the most experienced players.

So what do you do if you're John Worsfold? Keep faith with the young guns who did so well last week or bring back the proven 'stars'? Personally I'd have Seaby in for Steven Armstrong and Kerr and Waters in the first 18. Hansen has never really convinced me and with McKinley and Staker doing well last week he's not a necessity, though I suspect he will be involved.

http://www.thewest.com.au/default.aspx?MenuID=12&ContentID=76817
    Waters’ appeal fails, two-week suspension stands

4th June 2008, 8:15 WST

The AFL tribunal suspended West Coast defender Beau Waters for two matches tonight after finding him guilty of rough conduct.

The tribunal took 25 minutes to rule against him over an incident last Saturday at the MCG that left Collingwood onballer Shane O'Bree with a cut over his left eye.

Waters' bump as they went for the ball sent O'Bree spinning in the air and the Eagle backman argued he had no alternative but to make contact.

But the tribunal ruled that on the balance of probabilities, Waters was not going for the ball.

Waters' poor record meant he could not reduce his penalty with an early plea.

Earlier today, Western Bulldogs forward Robert Murphy accepted a one-match ban for rough conduct against Hawthorn youngster Xavier Ellis.

Last night, Adelaide forward Brett Burton took a two-match penalty for making forceful front-on contact against Essendon defender Henry Slattery.

All three incidents featured head-high contact.

AAP

Very harsh imo. He was just sticking his shoulder in and the Pies player put his head down. Players are gonna start bottling out of similar challenges if they are gonna get banned for it.

Disgusted that I won't get to see Waters bate the bollox out of some Swan on Saturday night :(

http://www.thewest.com.au/default.aspx?MenuID=12&ContentID=80323
    Waters’ season ends with arm injury

22nd June 2008, 12:30 WST

Tough West Coast utility Beau Waters’ season has come to an early end after suffering a dislocated elbow during Claremont's loss to East Perth at Medibank Stadium yesterday.

And tagger Adam Selwood is certain to miss Friday night’s match against Hawthorn after suffering a throat injury in the first quarter of the Eagles' humiliating defeat at the hands of Geelong.

West Coast were this morning trying to put a positive spin on the club’s embarrassing 135 point loss to the Cats, admitting it was an awful result but looking to improve for the Hawks match.

Geelong booted 28.14 (182) to West Coast 5.17 (47) to hand the Eagles their worst ever result at the so-called House of Pain.

And yet more bad news for us. Can't wait til the year's out.

Whats the story with Kerr Xavi? I hear rumours of a move to Melbourne next year, any sources for it or just speculation. As bad as a loss Cousins and Judd were, if Kerr was also to go it would be fairly bad altogether.

Ehhh nothing concrete out this way anyway.

There were rumours before but Kerr is a Perth boy and would be reluctant to move away from family etc, so he said last time anyway.

It would be a disaster alright, though right now he's missing more games than he's planning cause of injury and suspension.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Ehhh nothing concrete out this way anyway.

There were rumours before but Kerr is a Perth boy and would be reluctant to move away from family etc, so he said last time anyway.

It would be a disaster alright, though right now he's missing more games than he's planning cause of injury and suspension.

I was just reading stuff in the West and then saw Worsfold talking about it and how the West and the Australian dont make trades. Suppose it'll start to get in silly season soon enough, how soon will Didak be linked with the Eagles??!

http://www.thewest.com.au/default.aspx?MenuID=12&ContentID=101137
    Kerr commits to Eagles 'for life'

4th October 2008, 20:45 WST

Daniel Kerr's manager Colin Young says the star onballer will remain an Eagle for life after the 25-year-old signed a "long-term contract that will see him out" with the AFL club.

Kerr ended months of speculation over his future by signing an undisclosed contract extension with the Eagles.

The troubled midfielder, who was still contracted to the Eagles until the end of 2009, had been linked with a move away from Perth, with Sydney understood to be leading a host of clubs keen to snare the former All-Australian's signature.

Rumours were rife that Kerr was almost certain to leave the Eagles' nest when West Coast's board dismissed Kerr's proposition for a four or five-year contract extension.

Young refused to reveal the exact length or terms of the new deal but indicated it could be Kerr's final contract as an AFL player.

"It is a long-term contract that will see him out ... the rest of his career," Young told AAP.

"You can read whatever you want (into it), I'm just telling you it's a long-term contract that will see him out with the West coast Eagles."

Kerr has a history of off-field indiscretions, including being arrested and charged with disorderly conduct for damaging a taxi in 2007.

It had been speculated that any new deal with West Coast would include behavioural clauses but Young indicated that wasn't the case.

"It's a stock-standard contract that's long term, there's nothing to it," Young said.

"I guess it took a while for the club to meet because they had coaching issues with Vossy (Michael Voss) in and out ... but at the end of the day it (the negotiations) went pretty quick.

"I met with (chief executive Trevor Nisbett) last Thursday and it was done yesterday."

And in another major coup for the club, recently-retired former Collingwood captain Scott Burns signed on with West Coast as an assistant coach.

Burns, who retired at the end of Collingwood's 2008 campaign after 14 seasons and 264 games, is another piece in the club's off-field recruiting campaign.

Former Melbourne coach Neale Daniher has already been secured as the club's General Manager Football Operations, while former Geelong and Port Adelaide assistant Phillip Walsh has been added to the coaching staff.

Burns is expected in Perth when pre-season training begins in late October.

But it is Kerr's signature that will excite fans the most after the club's worst ever season.

"He is one of our best ever players, is a life member and we are delighted that it looks as though he will now finish his career with the West Coast Eagles," Nisbett said.

"Both signings are of great significance for our club moving forward."

At his best Kerr is among the most tenacious and talented ball-winners in the AFL.

He was a key member of the 2006 premiership-winning side and is a vital piece as the club tries to rebuild, having slumped to 15th in 2008 with just four wins.

Kerr played just 11 games this year due to injury and suspension.

Thank Christ for that! Fantastic news, probably the best we could hope for.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

yeah, it was dragging out for a long time. I think the club seemed unsure of giving him a long deal, but thankfully its gone through now anyway.

• Advertisement

http://www.thewest.com.au/default.aspx?MenuID=12&ContentID=104367
    Dockers, Eagles happy with draw as derby games set for rounds 6, 17

24th October 2008, 9:45 WST

West Coast coach John Worsfold and Frematle chief executive Steve Rosich say they are both satisfied with next year’s AFL fixture list.

With the first Western Derby set for round 6 and a return in round 17, both clubs admit things could have been a lot worse.

Freo will begin against the Western Bulldogs at Subiaco while the Eagles will be in a high-profile clash away to the Brisbane Lions, a game which will see new Lions coach Michael Voss go up ahgainst the team he was set to join before opting to stay in Queensland.

“We sought to have fewer night games away, after travelling to play six games in that timeslot last season,” Worsfold said.

“The AFL has reduced the number to five and while we were looking for even less than that, we accept the difficulties of meeting every request.

“We will always travel for 10 games, with usually two games in Adelaide and possibly games in Brisbane and Sydney and Launceston.

“We look forward to the opportunity of playing Hawthorn on ANZAC Day at Aurora Stadium.”

Fremantle CEO Rosich today expressed his pleasure at the fixture list, which will also see the Dockers play a number of high-profile home games, including night matches against Hawthorn and Sydney at Subiaco.

“I think the fixture is positive on a range of levels,” said Rosich.

“We look at fixtures from a playing perspective as a travelling team but importantly also what it means for our supporters in terms of the types of games we get to play at home.

“We’ve got some fantastic home games against big clubs, which is great for our members and supporters.

“We’re really pleased with the crowd-pulling power of our 11 home games, which will see us take on Sydney (round 5), Hawthorn (round 8), Richmond (round 10), Geelong (round 12), Carlton (round 14), West Coast (round 17) and Essendon (round 21) at Subiaco Oval.

“Season 2009 will also see Fremantle avoid playing away games against Brisbane and Sydney but will give us an opportunity to play against Carlton on the Gold Coast.”

Fremantle’s season kicks off on Sunday 29 March against the Western Bulldogs at Subiaco Oval.

The annual Len Hall Game will again be extra special this year, with the round five clash falling on ANZAC Day against Sydney under lights at Subiaco Oval on a Saturday night.

“The Len Hall Game will again be a real highlight of the season when we also commemorate and recognise the ANZAC tradition,” said Rosich.

“Given the success of last year’s Len Hall Game, we are delighted that we will again have the opportunity to play a night game against a quality side on ANZAC Day.”

Fremantle’s season kicks off on Sunday 29 March against the Western Bulldogs at Subiaco Oval.

The annual Len Hall Game will again be extra special this year, with the round five clash falling on ANZAC Day against Sydney under lights at Subiaco Oval on a Saturday night.

“The Len Hall Game will again be a real highlight of the season when we also commemorate and recognise the ANZAC tradition,” said Rosich.

“Given the success of last year’s Len Hall Game, we are delighted that we will again have the opportunity to play a night game against a quality side on ANZAC Day.”

Gonna have to definitely get to a few more games next year.

Advertisement