Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fair play to this bloke.....

Options
  • 24-01-2008 4:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭

.....a 51 year bloke in Sligo giving the bateings to 3 really violent robbers in his gaff in London after they held a knife to his kid's throat!!!! And all while he was in the nip. He claims he's never even used a weapon befopre, but I'm suspicious about how he says "They were all padded up, forensically aware" lol.......

http://www.independent.ie/world-news/stabbed-dad-saves-daughter-1272644.html

A millionaire businessman from Sligo has told a British court how he fought off three armed burglars after they held a knife to his daughter's throat.

Bernard Dwyer (51) said he thought he would be killed and "would rather die like a man than a dog" defending his family.

Despite being stabbed three times, he wrestled a gun from one attacker before chasing the masked raiders from his home.

The court heard how they entered Mr Dwyer's luxury home in Vine Lane, Uxbridge, west London, a day after battering to death restaurant owner Helen Chung. Mr Dwyer, who grew up in Co Sligo, was sleeping, as were his daughter Aisling (now 14) and son Danny (20).

"I heard people running up the stairs and Aisling screaming 'Dad'. I had never heard screaming like that before. I knew something was clearly wrong. I was totally disorientated. I thought the roof had collapsed."

Naked and without his glasses, Mr Dwyer told jurors he jumped from his bed and ran towards his daughter's room but was met by the robbers.

"There were three guys coming towards me," he said, "All masked, all covered with balaclavas, gloves, padded out, forensically aware.

"I was in a bit of a daze. It was very surreal. One man was holding a gun, waving it about, screaming menacingly.

"The man with the gun said 'Get on the f****ing floor, get on the f****ing floor you bastard, we'll f****ing kill you' so I obliged."

Mr Dwyer told the court how the robbers demanded to know how much money was in the house and where the safe was.

But when he agreed to take them to the hidden room in his basement, and reached for his trousers, the robbers attacked, one using a Kung-fu style knuckle-duster. "I have seen things on television and I have seen violent stuff but I have never seen this level of violence, not even on those movies of Vietnam. I was being compliant and they were smashing and bashing me."

Mr Dwyer was knocked unconscious for a few minutes but became "invigorated" when he came round.

And fear turned to anger when one robber held a knife to the throat of 13-year-old Aisling and threatened "I am going to cut your f****ing daughter".

"I very quickly and very wisely assessed the situation," said Mr Dwyer. "These bastards were out of control. We were going to die anyway, that's what I thought.

"I thought If I am going to die then I would rather die like a man than a dog.

"The guy was standing over me with the gun and I thought if I can move the gun with my arm and make the bullet go into the wall I could come up and bash him."

He pushed the weapon away before striking his attacker.

Mr Dwyer said: "Then the guy with the knife came over and plunges it in my head three times. The man with the gun ran off."

But the others tried to push back into the bedroom.

"So we had another bout of fisticuffs," said Mr Dwyer.

"But this time I'm in charge of this battle. I have never used a weapon in my life and it was a great feeling. I grabbed the gun and bashed it across the knuckle-duster guy."

The gang fled in a stolen car.

Michael Atkins (25) and brother Dean (26) are accused of the attack on November 6, 2006.

It is claimed they murdered Mrs Chung the previous night after she refused to reveal the hiding place of her £218,000 life savings.

The trial continues.

I'd like to think I'd do the same in his situation, but I'd defo lash on a pair of boxers first :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭AngryBadger

Now that's a man right there!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

Hero Award goes too

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭H.O.T.A.S.

Fair play indeed!

Fighting in the nip FTW!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Move to BGRH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

he'll probably get done for assault!!!!

fair play to him tho..stabbed in the head 3 times and all.must of been some scene.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

Pic of Bernard Dwyer. He's a big bloke and is obviously well able to give as good as he gets, fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Awesome. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Pic of Bernard Dwyer. He's a big bloke and is obviously well able to give as good as he gets, fair play.

Clicking the link I was expecting a pic of him doing a ninja roll in the nip.

Edit: Kindof glad I was wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

Fair play indeed. He should get some sort of award, and he was probably right when he said him & his family would have died that night had he not done something.

Jaysus, fair ****s!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Jigsaw

The burglars should be marched out into a desolate wasteland, made to dig their own graves then be machinegunned into them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

Jigsaw wrote: »
    The burglars should be marched out into a desolate wasteland, made to dig their own graves then be machinegunned into them.

I'd say the mad sligo ****er was about to do that, til the cops arrived and arrested them for their own safety :p

I won't be doing one of me drunken nik-naks on his gaff anytime soon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Fair play to him - the same gang murdered a woman the day before so he was 100% right to fight back
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=509962&in_page_id=1770

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Phil01

So he was naked and running towards his daughters bedroom.....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,504 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

What a guy!

Some people over in Audio-Video Editing ought to make this guy a montage.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Legend! Man like that should never have to pay for a pint again, it's on the house sir.

He looks a bit like Peter from family guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

ScumLord wrote: »
    He looks a bit like Peter from family guy.

hehe - I can just see him when the cops arrive going "chicken . .. . bad . . coupon . .. . .. "

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Well done tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Stabbed in the head three times?!

****in' hell!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

Hold on a sec he was stabbed in the head three times? And survived? Where exactly did the blade go?? Was he stabbed through his cheek or something?

Fair play though.

Phil01 wrote: »
    So he was naked and running towards his daughters bedroom.....
    Sometimes when you read between the lines, you can get the wrong end of the stick!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭bill_ashmount

Legend :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Fair play to that guy! Stabbed in the head three times and STILL kicks some ass! Move over Rambo, this guy is the man!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

You wish to be sure you could do the same yourself in a similar situation. Lift my hat to the man.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Meirleach

Fighting burglars in the nip? Must've been a subscriber to the Ozzy Osbourne style of home defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Creature wrote: »
    Hold on a sec he was stabbed in the head three times? And survived? Where exactly did the blade go?? Was he stabbed through his cheek or something?

Fair play though.

Doubt the blade went through his skull, 'tis more likely to glance off it

death penalty ftw though:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

Ledgend!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭joeybloggs

It's because the skull is so thick that he survived, Id presume. Had they stabbed his belly or slashed an arm it might have been a different story. Thank the lord there’s no mandatory Anatomy class in Robber School.:rolleyes:

Fair play do, true courage there with a quote that will go down in history!

"I thought If I am going to die then I would rather die like a man than a dog’ – Bernard Dwyer (Business Tycoon and Chuck Norris Understudy)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭stewie01

i bet they were black

Advertisement