Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

YORE MAs pub quizz thread [NO CHAT!]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Hill Billy wrote: »
    Dead on Smashey!

Don't you worry your purdy lil' head about things like 'international date lines' & stuff. * pats the dee condescendingly on the ass * ;)
    Aye, run along there Dee. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭the dee

*threatens to kick Hill Billy AND SMASHEY in the nuts if he ever tries that again*

I'm just saying that I don't think Alaska crosses the IDL, so it can't be the furthest east. Also how does the IDL change east to west? There's no West pole, from where you're suddenly going east!

Nothing to do with the international dateline, more so the 180° meridian of longitude. :cool:

smashey wrote: »
    Nothing to do with the international dateline, more so the 180° meridian of longitude. :cool:

Well that's obviously some silly idea made by man to counter the logic of mother earth :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Hagar wrote: »
    12 is is the number of lead balls of that diameter that it takes to weigh 1lb.

yup, bang on..........see what I did there, bang

• Advertisement

the dee wrote: »
    Well that's obviously some silly idea made by man to counter the logic of mother earth :rolleyes:
    Of course.

We rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

I am confused as to the answer

Is this speaking with using the 0 degree line of longitude as the reference for all the answers.

How can Alaska be the furthest east and west???

Vegeta wrote: »
    I am confused as to the answer

Is this speaking with using the 0 degree line of longitude as the reference for all the answers.

How can Alaska be the furthest east and west???
    It crosses the 180 line so is both the furthest east and west. This works on taking the 0 line as base/reference (Greenwich).

It crosses the 180 line so is both the furthest east and west. This works on taking the 0 line as base/reference (Greenwich).

So it's not only patriarchal, it's also eurocentric, placing Europe at the centre of the map and drawing an arbitrary line down the pacific ocean, at which point east becomes west and vice versa. As if that makes sense on a globe. Only north and south are (relatively) fixed points.

Lets take this to the geography forum, and the equality forum, if they exist...

So it's not only patriarchal, it's also eurocentric, placing Europe at the centre of the map and drawing an arbitrary line down the pacific ocean, at which point east becomes west and vice versa. As if that makes sense on a globe. Only north and south are (relatively) fixed points.

It may be arbitrary but it is used and accepted in all walks of life.

• Advertisement

Only because europeans forced it onto the rest of the world. Did other cultures have different systems that were rejected by the colonialists?

Anywho, as fun as this is, I want the quiz back!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,035 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Nope some Ameican maps have North and South America in the centre and some maps in Asia have guess what Asia in the centre *example map in street fighter*

Nope some Ameican maps have North and South America in the centre and some maps in Asia have guess what Asia in the centre *example map in street fighter*
    They are in the centre but the longitude lines are numbered the same everywhere. eg. 0 goes through Greenwich in London.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,755 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Before this goes way off topic - Smashey please ask a question.

Bugger, this time-warp thing is still happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,755 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

You are sooo cute when you're angry. * pat *

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

When the Frenchies taunt you, what would your Mother be and What would your father smell of?

Hill Billy wrote: »
    You are sooo cute when you're angry. * pat *

Don't make me come over there! This kitten has claws

ShayK1 wrote: »
    When the Frenchies taunt you, what would your Mother be and What would your father smell of?

Hamster? And Elderberries!

ShayK1 wrote: »

*cough

Hamster? And Elderberries!

The Kitten gets it!!! YAY!!!

Your turn

• Advertisement

Who was the only bachelor US president ?

I've no clue!!
    I googled the answer so I could give it to ya just to keep the thread going but that no good.

Every president's name that popped into my head was married. This guy.... NEVER HEARD OF HIM tbh

It came up at my regular tuesday pub quiz last night. That's the only reason I know :)

are we the only 2 reading the quiz? or does nobody know the answer?

I don't know.... It is kind of empty in here isn't it?

ECHO.... CO.... co...co...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

I'm lurking and don't know the answer :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

/guess

Garfield?

DesF wrote: »
    /guess

Garfield?

Nope. Sorry...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,035 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie