Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going rate for an ASP.NET developer?

Options
  • 23-01-2008 12:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭

Hi
    Im wondering what the going rate for a web developer with ASP.NET / C# skills is.
    8 years experience in web development (5 1/2 - 6 ASP / 2 - 2 1/2 ASP.NET / C#)
    Any ideas appreciated!
    Thanks
    M

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Contract or permanent?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭mathie

Sorry either contract or permanent!
    Thanks
    M

Any where between €300 - €500 per day for contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭mathie

Evil Phil wrote: »
    Any where between €300 - €500 per day for contract.

Thanks and perm?
    M

Dunno, I'm a contractor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Perm in Ireland anything from 40 to 55Kfor just development, 70K or more if you are doing architect level stuff and some more if you are certified etc and they farm you out to other companies..

Again depends on the company.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Don;t mean to hijack the thread but what about PHP developers? I assume it roughly the same (perhaps slightly less?). Just curious.

Depends on experience but usually 30 to 40K. The main reason is that its old tech at this stage (similar to classic ASP).

The other thing is that ASP.NET devs should be able to turn their hands to other parts of the framework (such as Windows programing and Web services) and products such as MOSS and BizTalk without needing too much upskilling time.

This is not to say that PHP devs are any less talented there just seems to be more of them so the the cost to hire them is less as their is a bigger pool to fish from.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

I see. I thought there would be a drop but not that much. I thought PHP was the fastest growing language online or am I wrong or is that why there are so many PHP developers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

The problem is that PHP is usually the easiest entry point for someone who wants to throw together some web scripts. There are also so many PHP based web packages for content management, blogs, galleries, wikis, etc that people tend to get familiar with it by looking at them. Consequently there are a lot of people who have some experience with it. While I like PHP's ease of use for simple things in my experience this also tends to result in lots of poor quality unmaintainable throw-away code.

Conversely, I reckon that a lot less people wander into ASP.Net quite like that. I would also suggest that ASP.Net is one of the areas with a slight shortage of people at the moment and that a lot of the jobs in it tend to be with companies doing 'enterprise' stuff which might nudge the salary up a bit too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

I think that because .net is a framework you can generally get effective reults far faster than php etc - not so much boilerplate crap etc. Though I've minimal exposure to php so I could be wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭adm

Ginger wrote: »
    The main reason is that its old tech at this stage (similar to classic ASP).

No its not ... at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

adm wrote: »
    No its not ... at all.
    No offence, but I hate posts like this - ones that just flatly contradict someone without any explanation or information.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Kai

Jees looks like i need to have a chat about my salary. Im on 33 a year and do asp.net, web services, windows services, along with all the Database stuff. Have about 3 ears exp in .net at this stage and maybe 4 with SQL Server.

The above salary recommendation was based on the experience of the dev in the OP. 3 to 4 years experience you should be looking around 35 to 40K depending on your project experience whether its just small projects or enterprise class development.

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭grahamor

Kai wrote: »
    Jees looks like i need to have a chat about my salary. Im on 33 a year and do asp.net, web services, windows services, along with all the Database stuff. Have about 3 ears exp in .net at this stage and maybe 4 with SQL Server.

You should go contracting for a while and make some real money! you could easily get 300-350 a day.

You should come to Norway, 950NOK per hour.. About 120€ per hour :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭00sully

Kai wrote: »

yes you certainly do. I was on that last year with 1 years experience in just sql. you need to get a salary review or else go contracting!

+ I'd say with 4-6 years exp you should be looking at 50k+ easy. If you were contracting you should be looking for €400+ a day :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

It can depend very much on the type of work you do aswell though. Writing code is generally considered the most basic task and therefore commands the most basic salary. Adding on things like requirements gathering/analysis, customer facing, team leading, project management etc can add on good sized jumps in salary. As can contracting.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭adm

pwd wrote: »
    No offence, but I hate posts like this - ones that just flatly contradict someone without any explanation or information.

My apologies.It was late and i was knackered!
    Classic asp is a long dead language (wasn't even a language actually but thats another story).
    Php on the other hand continues to be actively developed
    and new versions are released all the time.
    Its now up to version 5.x . included in php 5 was major overhaul
    of php's OOP capabilities , so while it's been around for a long time ,comparing it to classic asp is not correct at all.
    facebook and amazon (both top 10 sites) use php.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Kernel32

adm wrote: »
    My apologies.It was late and i was knackered!
    Classic asp is a long dead language (wasn't even a language actually but thats another story).
    Php on the other hand continues to be actively developed
    and new versions are released all the time.
    Its now up to version 5.x . included in php 5 was major overhaul
    of php's OOP capabilities , so while it's been around for a long time ,comparing it to classic asp is not correct at all.
    facebook and amazon (both top 10 sites) use php.

This is all true, but it doesn't matter. It's not what the situation is with any technology, it's how the situation is perceived by decision makers. PHP may be used on some big sites but for general purpose software used in business software development it lags behind other technologies, like .Net and Java. You can argue right or wrong on that all day, but that is how the business market views PHP.

As another example, Foxpro even though considered dead was maintained and upgraded for years. It was recently retired. It was a ahead of it's counterparts for years and some of it's features were/are being moved to VB.Net. But who cares? No one does apart from the few old Foxpro programmers.

In the minds of many people PHP had it's day when classic ASP was around. They were competing platforms for web development. With the rise of ASP.Net and the decline of ASP many people also associate that with a decline in PHP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 CelloPoint

Kernel32 wrote: »
    This is all true, but it doesn't matter. It's not what the situation is with any technology, it's how the situation is perceived by decision makers. PHP may be used on some big sites but for general purpose software used in business software development it lags behind other technologies, like .Net and Java. You can argue right or wrong on that all day, but that is how the business market views PHP.

As another example, Foxpro even though considered dead was maintained and upgraded for years. It was recently retired. It was a ahead of it's counterparts for years and some of it's features were/are being moved to VB.Net. But who cares? No one does apart from the few old Foxpro programmers.

In the minds of many people PHP had it's day when classic ASP was around. They were competing platforms for web development. With the rise of ASP.Net and the decline of ASP many people also associate that with a decline in PHP.

Linux is opensource. Google and Yahoo can't be wrong. PHP is a proven enterprise technology amongst organisations that aren't dictated to by the peddlers of fear at the Microsoft sales department.

PHP, Eclipse and a Linux server gives comparable efficiency to an ASP.NET solution on visual studio running on a microsoft server. But if your organisation already implements MS technology en masse, it does make sense to apply the MS know-how to ASP.NET and not bother with PHP.

As was said above about perception and also supply and demand. There tends to be more PHP programmers than .NET at the moment because the framework covers so many things under the same name.

What I found was I was getting at least 1 to 2 calls a day from recruiters when i was looking passively and then when i went actively looking I had 5 interviews in 2 days. Just the way the market is at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Ginger wrote: »
    The above salary recommendation was based on the experience of the dev in the OP. 3 to 4 years experience you should be looking around 35 to 40K depending on your project experience whether its just small projects or enterprise class development.

The other thing to take into account on the perm end is benefits. For example, free medical, pension, life assurance, bonus, other payment inititives and perks. If your starting off Perm on 35k and that is all your getting then that is pretty crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭dzy

Like the others say, .NET and Java are perceived to be more 'enterprisey'. If you are a software company selling to large enterprises, its easier to go in with a .NET/Java solution than a PHP one. Its largely marketting and perception.

As a result, most software jobs going now are .NET or Java based.

CelloPoint wrote: »
    PHP is a proven enterprise technology amongst organisations that aren't dictated to by the peddlers of fear at the Microsoft sales department.

Hillarious. Seriously, do you really think MS dictate to other organisations? The reason .Net and Asp.Net have taken off is based on the merit of the technology. At this stage Java and .Net are mature, stable frameworks, they can be trusted.

.Net is shall we say "less forgiving" then some other dev platforms in that its difficult to get away with crap code. Not so with some languages including php.

I'm not saying php is bad, its a brilliant language if you want my opinion, but its not the only one. Don't go Microsoft bashing just because .Net is currently more popular than php.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭shortcorner

Hi there,
    Very interesting post. I started teaching myself vb.net and sql server in the last three to four years and I have completed a few private projects/websites. I dont have any formal qualifications. Where would one go to get their foot in the door and maybe make a career out of it.
    Many thanks
    Anthony

Hi there,
    Very interesting post. I started teaching myself vb.net and sql server in the last three to four years and I have completed a few private projects/websites. I dont have any formal qualifications. Where would one go to get their foot in the door and maybe make a career out of it.
    Many thanks
    Anthony

Take a look at the jobs websites such as http://www.jobs.ie and see what companies are doing ASP.NET development.

All the ads state some IT qualification as a minimum requirement to apply, but maybe you can point them in the direction of something from your portfolio instead. Since, as was pointed out, there are more jobs than available people at the moment, perhaps they would be willing to bring you in for interview.

As you say, all you need is to get your foot in the door. Perhaps a good route is to try to get *some* position within one of these companies to begin with. Perhaps a testing role. If they see that you are generally competent you could then ask to be moved into a coding position.

I'd say go for it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭shortcorner

Thanks dzy, I may try that.
    Just to show 2 of the small projects I did,
    www.acusupply.ie - sql server database, admin section and online shop(this needs work done, my first project!)
    www.flynnconcrete.com - brochure style website with xml datasource

Maybe let me know your opinion

Thanks

• Advertisement

Thanks dzy, I may try that.
    Just to show 2 of the small projects I did,
    www.acusupply.ie - sql server database, admin section and online shop(this needs work done, my first project!)
    www.flynnconcrete.com - brochure style website with xml datasource

Maybe let me know your opinion

Thanks

Sorry for the late reply. I just took a look at your websites. In both cases, the functionality all seems to be there, but I think the layout is letting you down a little.

Perhaps the sites would be better served with a simpler, cleaner layout. I'd try to keep the page width smaller than 760px to avoid horizontal scrolling and the navigation menu more standard (eg. the downloads section on the Flynn Concrete site).

I'm bad with layout myself. But normally in a web development company you have a web designer take care of how the pages look and you can concentrate on the functionality.

What you are trying to prove with your portfolio is that you can create functional websites. Employers will be more concerned with this. So try to keep just a simple, clean layout.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement