Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Almonds - how many can I eat?

Options
  • 22-01-2008 4:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭

Got myself a pack of raisins and almonds in tesco at the weekend and they are delicios. Been eating them as a snack between meals instead of junk. Question is how much can I eat a day - I know people usually say a handful? The pack is 150g and over the last 2 days ive eaten about 2/3rds of that

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

A 'portion' is usually about 10-15 nuts.

But how many you in particular you can eat is determined by how many calories you need per day. If you're 15stone and 6 foot + you can eat more than if you're a spot under 5 foot

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Sugar Drunk

im a little 5'2" but ive only been eating about 4-5 at a time so about 15 a day thanks G'em

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

50g per day isn't too much for nuts.

To make up my fat allowances I'd often eat (as g'em said) 10-15 almonds with a meal.

Personally I'd worry more about the raisins than the nuts, but that's me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

cashew nuts in stir fry's ftw tbh :D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

If it helps: An average sized almond contains around 7 calories.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

g'em wrote: »
    cashew nuts in stir fry's ftw tbh :D

Thats the stuff alright. Cant get enough of them.
    Got myself a pack of raisins and almonds in tesco
    Check the price per kilo, and % of how many nuts are in it. Tescos nut prices are all over the place, so are their nuts! my tesco currently has nuts in about 6 or 7 different sections! and prices vary wildly for the same thing. Those mixes can be very dear, i.e. cheaper to buy raisins & nuts separate and mix to your own taste/ratio

I picked up giant KP chilli nuts, 75% off since they are in a xmas packet.

also aisian shops can have cheap nuts, maybe not almonds though, but they are raw and raw are a bit better for you

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Lidl do a nut and raisin mixture which is quite good - almonds, hazelnuts, walnuts and brazil nuts... 99c for a small bag.... if you like eating loads of nuts then you'd need 5 bags a week... for a wee person like me, 2 bags would be plenty.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Sugar Drunk

thanks how strange I will check it out in LIDL as I think I paid 1.50 for the 150g bag! But still its cheaper than the chocolate I used to buy. they have lots of different packs of nuts and dried fruits in the local tesco. Im lovin the almonds more than the raisins so next time I will just buy almonds and walnuts. I hate brazil nuts though. with regard to peanuts are they good for you?
    Unfortunataly any form of spicy or chilli nuts is a no for me as I have IBS and am v allergic to spicy food.

Advertisement