Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Porridge issues......

Options
  • 22-01-2008 12:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭

GReetings all,

Porridge is really good for you. Its nutritionally excellent, it really fills you up, warms you up, its low GI, etc etc etc..... BUT.....

I hate it, it makes me gag, the taste, the smell, the sight of it.....UUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGHHHHH!

But im making myself eat it..... couldn't manage the organic whole oats crack.... but can just about stomach Ready brek, which i know nutritionally isnt as good probably, but for me its the happiest medium i can force into my mouth.

I make it with water as im not one for milk and i put a bit of good quality maple syrup in it and some hemp seeds, just to make it more appealing.

Is this a good brekkie choice, or is the maple syrup just killing the goodness of it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,773 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

i find the mircowave stuff from flavahans with milk excellent, with water its dreadful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

porridge isn't to everyone's taste, but certainly adding (good!!) things help make it much more palatable.

I love porridge with yoghurt and berries, or just a touch of milk and honey, or some raisins and cinnamon - the options are endless.

Just keep your maple syrup portion small enough and it's fine ;)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Not a big porridge fan myself, but I've (literally) just finished a bowl and thought it was nice enough. My solution: A blob of raspberry jam in the middle that I take a tiny bit of with every spoon. Yum!

Leaving the oats soaking overnight helps (not with ready brek), as does making sure you've got enough water in. Too little water = stodge city.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I love it :D

Slice a hard pear into 4/4, eat one and slice the rest in half, then chop all the slices into a mound in your bowl and fill with Organic Oatflakes (Flahavans are the nicest, and the oatflakes are much nicer than the jumbo oats in my opinion) to level off the mound and a bit above it. Then add enough water to just soak the whole lot, don't add enough water so that everything is submerged, just enough so there is a thin layer of oats at the top and everything below is soaked, then mix it all around with a spoon, level it off again with the back of the spoon, stick it in the microwave for 5 mins on high, leave to cool for a minute, get your spoon and hopefully there will be a slightly crisp layer at the top, then mix it all around, get a seed mix (one with pine nuts is especially good), sprinkle it over, mix with spoon again, then top up the bowl with some cornflakes and then fill with organic soya milk and mix around again.

Beautiful :D

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭mack1

You don't have to make porridge with the oats, just eat the oats in cold milk (as suggested on another thread there) or in yoghurt as g'em said above - I do either one if I am running a bit late on a morning - cold oats don't taste like porridge at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

I feel like such a freak - porridge is actually my favourite food! i would eat it all day if it didn't have so many carbs :(

just a few raisins is all you need OP - nyom :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

I feel like such a freak - porridge is actually my favourite food! i would eat it all day if it didn't have so many carbs :(

just a few raisins is all you need OP - nyom :D

snap,

pineapple or grapes are also really good with it

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Maybe we need a forum just for porridge haters, millions out there. :D

Try some oat pancakes http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055216686

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭NextSteps

cormie wrote: »
    I love it :D

Slice a hard pear into 4/4, eat one and slice the rest in half, then chop all the slices into a mound in your bowl and fill with Organic Oatflakes (Flahavans are the nicest, and the oatflakes are much nicer than the jumbo oats in my opinion) to level off the mound and a bit above it. Then add enough water to just soak the whole lot, don't add enough water so that everything is submerged, just enough so there is a thin layer of oats at the top and everything below is soaked, then mix it all around with a spoon, level it off again with the back of the spoon, stick it in the microwave for 5 mins on high, leave to cool for a minute, get your spoon and hopefully there will be a slightly crisp layer at the top, then mix it all around, get a seed mix (one with pine nuts is especially good), sprinkle it over, mix with spoon again, then top up the bowl with some cornflakes and then fill with organic soya milk and mix around again.

Beautiful :D

Jaysus, that's a lot of effort in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Me too. I hate the stuff and force myself to eat it when I'm on trekking trips etc.

I eat readybrek with raisins and seeds. I've started mixing Ready break with a little Oat Bran (on rubadub's recommendation to make it more nutritionally beneficial :D). Its ok, I can sort of taste the bran but not too much as to make me gag.

Glad to see I'm not the only porridge hater out there.... the tumble weed usually blows through the room when I tell people and they look at me like I am slightly crazy for hating the great super food that is porridge.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

I hate the stuff and force myself to eat it when I'm on trekking trips etc.

tumbleweed.gif

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭ike

I like eating porridge (find it great for marathon training) but eating it every day i soon get tired of it - so for a change i mix it in with some natural yoghurt and a dice an apple into it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭sarz55

does anyone know if cooking porridge in the microwave kills the nutrients etc??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

G'em LOL

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

sarz55 wrote: »
    does anyone know if cooking porridge in the microwave kills the nutrients etc??

I've heard microwaving food is actually better than conventional methods? For potatoes anyway:confused:

Advertisement