Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irelands toughest town

Options
  • 21-01-2008 1:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭

what do you think the toughest town in Ireland is? one of those places wher you just try avoiding at all times..ie loud tunes blaring out of the 'locals' cars etc..crime through the roof..anti social behaviour etc...i think rathkeale is atrocious! highest percentace of itinerents in the country..most intimidating place iv been to..crazy drivers..crazy looking ppl, place looks abandoned and delapitated..scary out!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Rathkeale, Tipp Town, and maybe Newcastle West in time.

Rathkeale I would not stroll around on foot at anytime of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Just to note, Billy is swift and harsh with the bans on traveller discussions. So keep it town focused, not people focused.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭knightmare

Would say Clonmel or Ballinasloe --- Both rough as F***!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Believe it or not Kenmare after dark can get quite rough!!!

~B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭soldering iron

Carrick on suir

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

id have to second tipp town,ive relatives from there.spent a lot of my childhood there but i still hate going there...there's something in the water

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Ninja_scrotum

Clonmell i'd say. Someone gets stabbed every saturday night.

Carrick on suir isn't too tough at all, it's just an absolute shit-hole.

The tipperary council has Carrick on Shite in the "shit town" section. My friend worked for the council, you can ask him.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭rliston

Kess73 wrote: »
    Rathkeale, Tipp Town, and maybe Newcastle West in time.

Rathkeale I would not stroll around on foot at anytime of the day.

i'd walk through Rathkeale at night before i'd go near Newcastle West

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

rliston wrote: »
    i'd walk through Rathkeale at night before i'd go near Newcastle West

After you. :D

I shall avoid both. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Rathkeale or NCW

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 actionman85

Try rathmullen in drogheda, kids getting high all day, i do alot of community work and have to say the goverment should hand its head in shame with the drugs problem, im from dublin and finglas ballymun and blanch have nothing on rathmullen

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

Rathkeale and NCW may be limericks toughest towns but their deffinetely not Ireland's

Tuam, Tullamore.

And if you include northern ireland (dont know why you would but what the hell) id say derry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭utick

rough towns in ireland? ha is this some sort of joke?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭Harpy

Dundalk.
    Been there 3 times in the last few years and felt intimidated walkin through during the day.. one of the times some young one shouldered me and then started roarin abuse at me i didn't know what was goin on and this was in the middle of the day on the main street(well i think it was the main street)..
    scary place

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

utick wrote: »
    rough towns in ireland? ha is this some sort of joke?

this from the person who lives where disneyworld is, although downtown orlando is a complete no go area at times too, crack whore central

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

Tralee

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

Oh ya forgot about tralee, good nightlife but very rough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭utick

krudler wrote: »
    this from the person who lives where disneyworld is, although downtown orlando is a complete no go area at times too, crack whore central

lol i go down town orlando every weekend at night nothing ever happens a few homeless people politely asking for money is about as bad as it gets downtown

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Bighound

D-A-V-E wrote: »
    what do you think the toughest town in Ireland is? one of those places wher you just try avoiding at all times..ie loud tunes blaring out of the 'locals' cars etc..crime through the roof..anti social behaviour etc...i think rathkeale is atrocious! highest percentace of itinerents in the country..most intimidating place iv been to..crazy drivers..crazy looking ppl, place looks abandoned and delapitated..scary out!
    Sorry to correct ya there scan, but Tuam has the highest percentage of itinerents in the country followed by longford. Check it on the cso, 77 per 1000.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

1huge1 wrote: »
    Rathkeale and NCW may be limericks toughest towns but their deffinetely not Ireland's

Tuam, Tullamore.

And if you include northern ireland (dont know why you would but what the hell) id say derry

Tullamore?ur having a laugh

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Killiwee

I live between Rathkeale and NCW and would have to disagree with you about them being the roughest places.My husband worked the nightclub doors in Limerick city for 10 years and is now doing it in NCW and he even says that he 'd never do the city again. NCW has one or two bad as we call them rats going around but it s not as rough as th city.And Rathkeale might look rough but nothing mush ever happens. They tend to keep disagreements to themselves!

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Tinytony

Killiwee wrote: »
    .And Rathkeale might look rough but nothing mush ever happens. They tend to keep disagreements to themselves!

Ha, an intentional slip????

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Most hassle I ever got was Ennis. Lots of lovely people of course but some right specimens amongst them. Queens disco is not a place you are allowed to 'mind your own business'. Ennis = tough town.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 spankrocket

the roughest town in ireland is definitly castleisland Co.Kerry ( no1 unlawful town rated by the star newspaper back in 2007!!) its a ****hole full of scumbag/chavs, 'little' whores and junkies as young as 11 getting high, stabbings were rife 4 years ago, but cud happen again in two years wen the towns most dangerous resisdent comes out of prison, another guy stuck a pike through a dublin transfer shade(gardi) nose, he was so traumitised by it, he left the gards and hasnt been seen since, there just two examples how how bad the town is, another gard had to be transfered to another station after one notorius fella chased after hm up the town with a hachet , mad like . brawls are very common, like that incident 4 years ago wen a gang of travellers from limrick came in and started actin hard, they got the heads pucked of them from c.islands travellers and scumbag/chavs , no other town cud beat c.island in a brawl, some of our guys have gone into tralee , beat up a few fellas , and there wud be no reprisils !!! tralee are no saints either , that place cud take castleislands place for roughest and toughestbut i dought it . castlisland has 4 estates st stephans,cois lan mor, st johns and cahereen west,all = TROUBLE, st stephans being the roughest . castlisland has no jobs,no amnities,bad weather, alchos,drugs and scum and certinly in my view no future !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Azphyxi8

WTF is this? You bump an old thread as your 1st post?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

Azphyxi8 wrote: »
    WTF is this? You bump an old thread as your 1st post?

He, like you and me, is free to post on whatever thread he wishes that's not locked, with whatever number post he wants. At least he added something to the discussion!!

On topic: I've heard bad things about NCW and Rathkeale. They'd both get my vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭puntosporting

So you hear something and it must be true?
    Unless you have lived in every town in ireland then you cant realy judge can you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Azphyxi8

Y2J_MUFC wrote: »
    He, like you and me, is free to post on whatever thread he wishes that's not locked, with whatever number post he wants. At least he added something to the discussion!!

On topic: I've heard bad things about NCW and Rathkeale. They'd both get my vote.

Sheesh! Hows the view up there on your high horse?

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Dunder Mifflin

I'd have to say Dundalk as well. Not actually from experience now, but just from the two guys I work with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Y2J_MUFC wrote: »

Actually, you might find that necro-threads are actually frowned upon and generally locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement