Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice Please

Options
  • 21-01-2008 3:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭

A couple of things...

How bad/good are diet drinks.....eg, diet Coke ect.
    Name a good cereal for breakfast that will keep me going.....Not poridge.
    Name a good snack for when sitting watching tv to replace sweets/chocolate ect.
    What should i replace spuds and bread with?

At the moment i have a poor diet...i eat alot of rubish, i never eat breakfast and i think i over eat sometimes.
    I also find myself hungry on an hour or so after eating a big meal or eating rubish while watching tv.
    Cheers guys.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭ali.c

Mr.Boots wrote: »
    A couple of things...

I drink them, i dont think they are great but IMHO way better than the full sugar version

Flanahan HI 8 museli but you need to watch portion size on this one

Watching tv doesnt have to result in eating food but if you want something to much on i'd go with a apple and maybe a small portion of nuts or someting
    Vegetables or maybe Ryvita

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭eve

With regard to portion size for breakfast, I find Weetabix to be great. Didn't like it as a kid but now I have 2 biscuits every day for breakfast with some fruit such as banana, blueberries, kiwi, manadarin or peach. That's about 7.30 and keeps me going till a mid morning snack about 10.30 or 11.00

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

Some of this may just be echoing people, but reaffirmation is fine.

Bad, aspartame isn't great, but it's nowhere near as bad as the full sugar versions.
    High fruit/nut muesli, usually own-brand ones don't have all the added sugar (that alpen etc. have) and are cheaper. Throw a handful of almonds/hazelnuts/pecan in the bowl and it will lower the GI, give you some essential fatty acids you need AND keep you fuller and going for longer. As previous posters have said, watch the portions (good way to do this is use a small/medium bowl and teaspoon). It's easy to over-eat on muesli, I've done it often enough myself.
    Apples, oranges, kiwis, a peeled hardboiled egg, pistachios, cashews, walnuts, brazil nuts, almonds, yogurts (preferably plain), cheese, rollmops.
    More vegetables, lots and lots of them, don't worry about portion sizes when it comes to things like broccoli/cauliflower/cabbage/green beans/mushrooms etc. A slightly larger piece of lean meat too (about the size and thickness of the palm of your hand). With fruit for desert if desired.
    At the moment i have a poor diet...i eat alot of rubish, i never eat breakfast and i think i over eat sometimes.
    I also find myself hungry on an hour or so after eating a big meal or eating rubish while watching tv.
    Rebound hypoglycemia (being hungry/groggy soon after eating junk) is a sign of your insulin* going a bit haywire. Basically what happens is you've a rush of blood sugar. Your body goes "shit" and releases a rakeload of insulin to lower it. This (for many reasons I won't go into) usually overdoes the job and leaves you in a state of having low blood sugar. So now your cells are crying out for more sugar, but you've got too much insulin in your blood to release it from the stored fat cells. So you get symptoms of lethargy and hunger, and usually you'll crave more high density carbohydrates (crisps, sweets, chips etc.). You self medicate with these and the cycle starts again.

Maintaining steady blood sugar (and hence insulin) is a big leap on the road to wellness.

*Insulin is the hormone that causes the conversion of sugar into fat, gets your liver to produce cholesterol, and in excess can lead to insulin resistance, diabetes, high blood pressure, obesity, gout, heart disease as well as a host of other conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Try oats with cold milk & honey, or cold milk and chopped up fruit.
    or make oat pancakes, see here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055216686
    I use iceberg lettuc in place of bread, I put burgers etc between 2 leafs, like a bun.
    i eat alot of rubish, i never eat breakfast and i think i over eat sometimes.
    Breakfast should be your biggest meal of the day, and never miss it. I am not surprised you eat crap, I end up doing the same if I miss breakfast for whatever reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

A couple of things...

There's a chemical in them that weakens the enamel in your teeth. Diet Coke in particular is regarded as dreadful for you, check out some of the stuff on the internet. trying to give it up is a f**king nightmare, I know cos I did. Horrendous headaches for days but definitely worth it, more energy better sleep resulted for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,723 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

A couple of things...

Cheers guys.

Diet coke is not great, I drink it myself but I think it increases the craving for sweet foods rather then helps you loose weight. You would be better drinking water if you can.

Cereal - not poridge? ah you really should, you wont be hungry for hours but if you really cant I would say weetabix or alpen. Make sure you have breakfast, a bananna and a plain yougurt if you cant face a full meal. Boiled eggs in a cup with no bread I find very filling but I dont know if other people like this, I have never seen anyone else eat it!

What should i replace spuds and bread with? You do not need to replace spuds, they are low in fat, calories and quite filling, just be careful what you do with them dont mash and add lots of butter. Have a baked potato with beans or tuna and its very filling and relatively low for such a comfort food in the cold.

Bread you need to eat as little as possible unless its proper brown bread not the dyed white bread the real stuff. Replace bread with wraps or more vegs and low fat meat. Where you would have had a sandwich have the same as a salad with extra veg.

watching tv, grapes, oranges, popcorn (that you make yourself with no fat)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

ApeXaviour wrote: »
    Some of this may just be echoing people, but reaffirmation is fine.

Bad, aspartame isn't great, but it's nowhere near as bad as the full sugar versions.

High fruit/nut muesli, usually own-brand ones don't have all the added sugar (that alpen etc. have) and are cheaper. Throw a handful of almonds/hazelnuts/pecan in the bowl and it will lower the GI, give you some essential fatty acids you need AND keep you fuller and going for longer. As previous posters have said, watch the portions (good way to do this is use a small/medium bowl and teaspoon). It's easy to over-eat on muesli, I've done it often enough myself.

Apples, oranges, kiwis, a peeled hardboiled egg, pistachios, cashews, walnuts, brazil nuts, almonds, yogurts (preferably plain), cheese, rollmops.

More vegetables, lots and lots of them, don't worry about portion sizes when it comes to things like broccoli/cauliflower/cabbage/green beans/mushrooms etc. A slightly larger piece of lean meat too (about the size and thickness of the palm of your hand). With fruit for desert if desired.

Rebound hypoglycemia (being hungry/groggy soon after eating junk) is a sign of your insulin* going a bit haywire. Basically what happens is you've a rush of blood sugar. Your body goes "shit" and releases a rakeload of insulin to lower it. This (for many reasons I won't go into) usually overdoes the job and leaves you in a state of having low blood sugar. So now your cells are crying out for more sugar, but you've got too much insulin in your blood to release it from the stored fat cells. So you get symptoms of lethargy and hunger, and usually you'll crave more high density carbohydrates (crisps, sweets, chips etc.). You self medicate with these and the cycle starts again.

Maintaining steady blood sugar (and hence insulin) is a big leap on the road to wellness.

*Insulin is the hormone that causes the conversion of sugar into fat, gets your liver to produce cholesterol, and in excess can lead to insulin resistance, diabetes, high blood pressure, obesity, gout, heart disease as well as a host of other conditions.

Thank you all so much for your replies,
    Just on the subject of being hungry shortly after eating a good meal (meat, veg, potato) i realy dont understand why this happens to me??Just bad habbits??
    Im not a big Diet coke/7up drinker, maybe 2 a day and usualy have 8/10 glasses of water a day.
    I tend to snack on fruit and veg...mostly tomatoes, kiwi's and apples....after work i could sit doen and eat 6 tomatoes, or 4 kiwi's or 3 apples.
    If i go for nuts i have pistachios and can easily finish a packet in a sitting.
    Im gonna make a definite effort on the breakfast thing and go for weetabix, Mussli takes me to long to eat as i dont like raisens and have to pick them out first:p

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

A packet of nuts (say 100g) is about 500 calories. A "portion" is about 10 nuts, so take it easy on them!

As to why you're hungry, it could simply be boredom or habit. I often feel hungry when I'm bored, but when I start to do stuff, the feeling goes away. Similarly, if you often indulge that hunger feeling after eating, your body comes to expect food at that time. You find yourself feeling hungry when you're actually not.

In school, I used always feel ravenous by small break, but I never actually was. I still ate though, which is probably why I'm posting here now ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

Cheers faith,
    Cut down on the aul nuts so:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Polythene Pam

2 diet coke or seven up a day is really bad you should really cut down to zero or at least once a week.
    I don't think you should cut out the spuds, they're great for you if you don't overdose on them, as well as nuts or seeds.
    And I'd start buying organic, we think too much about the calories and too little about the pesticides. I know it's more expensive, but at the end of the day it'd be a tenner more a week on your food shopping and that's it. Good luck with it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

I don't think you should cut out the spuds, they're great for you if you don't overdose on them
    Define overdose? I'd argue any more than two small spuds is excessive. Leaving the skin on is the only way they're good for you. New or baby potatoes are better (for you and taste better).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Polythene Pam

ApeXaviour wrote: »
    Define overdose? I'd argue any more than two small spuds is excessive. Leaving the skin on is the only way they're good for you. New or baby potatoes are better (for you and taste better).

I consider eating potatoes everyday is an overdose, and in this case he'd better eat potatoes every once in a while, as well as bread or nuts, than cut out all the good stuff and then feeling deprived looking for comfort in supermacs :)

Advertisement