Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frozen fruit?

Options
  • 19-01-2008 4:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

So I'm going to buy a ould blender and start having smoothies whenever I can. But any threads on here expound the cheapness of frozen fruit (berries, et al). I've never ever seen frozen fruit in my local Tescos. Is it a health food shop thing only? Am I just looking in the wrong place (the frozen food section usually contains pizza and ice cream, right?). Is frozen just as good as fresh?

Also, if I do manage to get some, I assume I need to defrost them overnight? I know if I get a blender it'll be able to handle frozen (a la ice cubes) but maybe there's some nutritional reason to defrost them first?

Thanks for the help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

my tesco has it in the icecream section. sometimes they have tesco brand smoothie mix too, in individual packets for smoothies. have a walk around the entire section

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭King of Kings

it's in with the frozen desserts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭daiixi

I get my frozen fruit from Aldi and mix it in with my porridge in the morning. Don't worry about defrosting the fruit first, just pop it straight in with everything else and enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Tesco stock smoothie mixes which are a bag containing 4 individual servings of fruit. I used to use 1/2 a bag per smoothie meaning that I got 8 per packet. I wasn't looking to use the fruit to get my 5 a day, I just wanted to add some flavour to my protein shakes.

Aldi also sell frozen fruit.

Just add the frozen fruit to the blender. It makes the smoothie nice and cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

what is the best (frozen) yoghurt to use?

And where of course

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I just use normal natural yoghurt, I don't use frozen stuff at all.

I wouldnt waste frozen yoghurt in a smoothie. It is a lot more expensive than off the shelf yoghurt. They usually price it "per litre" which is a trick since 1 litre of frozen yoghurt is usually only 500g. So really the price is "per 500g", and when compared for fresh yoghurt it is more expensive. You are just paying for hte processeing and keeping it cold. It is whipped up to be light like icecream, but once in a smoothie you may as well use normal stuff.

You can freeze normal yoghurt in a icecube tray or icecube bag. It is useful to cool down the drink without having to use ice. I think frozen yoghurt would be kinder to a processor blade too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

I don't really mind the expense. Couldn't get any in the local tesco so i bought natural yoghurt. See I like the texture the frozen yoghurt gives smoothies i buy in the spar stalls

Might freeze some in ice cube trays, thats a good idea. Bought rasberrys in aldi,and a mix of tropical frozen fruits too and some apple jjiuce & cranberry juice...can't wait for breakfast tomorrow!

sO where can you get frozen yoghurt, also do they add any crap to it, trying to keep it natural as possible, only glitch so far is the cranberry juice from concentrate

Anywhere actual cranberrys can be bought? the stall in spar had them & were great but doubt they sell them sans smoothie

sO where can you get frozen yoghurt, also do they add any crap to it, trying to keep it natural as possible,
    It is in some supermarkets, and the selection is usually poor, my tesco only has 2 I think, and it is normally full of sugar or sweeteners. Thats why I would use normal yoghurt, better selection, non-sugar, and probiotic is available. Use the saved money to buy some nice fruit to add to it.

I was wondering if you could make your own frozen yoghurt, maybe in an icecream machine. Would probably be nicer than any brands out there.

Advertisement