Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snacking, Is there an alternative to nuts?

Options
  • 18-01-2008 10:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭

Hi Guys,
    I'm pursuing a weight-loss get-fit regime at the moment, and I'm not doing too bad with it.
    Snacks are a struggle though.
    I don't like nuts. I know it's the suggested snack for those in training.
    I know I can't have an apple/other fruit 3 times a day, but what's the alternative, other than tasteless rice cakes.

I'm open to all suggestions!
    Cheers
    Paul

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

Hmm... if your fruit is grapefruit, you can eat a lot of them without too much worry. I often have a little tin of fish (mackerel is the nicest IMO), rollmops (pickled herring) are delicious, or a boiled egg with some seed mustard (surprisingly tasty) as a snack. These things are easy to carry around with you.

If you're looking to lose weight you can merely reduce what you would have at your meals and snack more if you wish (just not on nasty yuch things like chocolate / ice-cream etc.)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

I quite like carrot sticks, a small pot of glenisk yoghurt is another one I take quite often.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭paulksnn

Thanks people,
    egg, carrot sticks and yoghurts may be the way to go.
    I like the idea of the tinned fish, but am at my desk all day, and I don't want to stink everyone out of it.

I don't really want to snack more, but if I go running at lunchtime, half three comes round and I need a boost, and I'm trying very hard to avoid the chocolate machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Museli/oats are not just for breakfast, but best eaten early on in the day. I eat tins of beans too, chicken breast in iceberg lettuce wraps.

Nuts are high in calories so though good for you will not fill a gap.

Get a big thermos and fill it with soup and have the odd cup now and then. If you have a microwave all the better. Soup is very filling, but do get proper soup, most cupasoups are not as filling, but can be very low cal.

I do not like rice cakes, they stink worse than the tuna BTW, but ryvitas are OK. I got lidl ryvitas which are half the price and fine. I get low cal soft cheese, garlic & herb to put on them. Only 34kcal each. I also get them and put on pasta sauce, and "healthy living" grated cheese, I grill them to make little pizza type things.

A good big breakfast will stop too much snacking too, should be your biggest meal of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭Archeron

I've taken to eating seeds with mixed pulses lately. I've bought these bags of "lifeforce" mixed seeds with bits of fruit and beans (I think) in it, I think its called breakfast seeds. I was using them to mix in with porridge in the morning to make it more palatable, but I have taken to munching on the seeds during the day, and I'm getting to quite like them.
    Only problem is that they are €4.00 for a smallish bag which seems a bit steep. Not sure if they are actually a healthy alternative, but they would seem to me to be such.

• Advertisement
Advertisement