Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for some Diet advice

Options
  • 16-01-2008 2:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭

Hi, I am looking for some help with my diet. I recently just got over an illness and at my last appointment in the hospital yesterday, the Doctor mentioned I am being tested for Coeliacs disease which he thinks I propably have. I am a 19 yo student so don't have the best diet anyway. I am really just looking for advice to what I should be eating as the Doctor didn't mention any dietary changes, but I am pretty sure there will be many. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Roisinbunny

Hiya,

I don't want to say anything specific here because I'm not sure of the nature of your illness. I just know that I was tested for Coeliacs along with a host of other stuff they thought it mit be after being ill on a constant basis- so just be prepared for that. My doc was convinced I was coeliac too but the tests said otherwise.I spent so much money going to Doctors looking for a definite diagnosis/resolution but ended up giving up,tweaking my diet and started to get more active to alleviate my symptoms. I'm starting to get some relief from my symptoms, except no weight loss as of yet.

I'm just saying you know yourself your diet needs changing - so start cutting out what you definitely know is bad, then maybe consult a good dietician. Im sure your doctor will recommend one if your results come back positive. Start to get active too. I wish you the very best of luck and hope you feel in good form again soon:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭ali.c

niavie wrote: »
    Hi, I am looking for some help with my diet. I recently just got over an illness and at my last appointment in the hospital yesterday, the Doctor mentioned I am being tested for Coeliacs disease which he thinks I propably have. I am a 19 yo student so don't have the best diet anyway. I am really just looking for advice to what I should be eating as the Doctor didn't mention any dietary changes, but I am pretty sure there will be many. Thanks.

Apparantely if you change your diet prior to the test the test may not be accurate or something. Not 100% sure on this but i did hear that somewhere i think on here prehaps(?). Best bet would be to call your doctor and confirm this prior to instigating any changes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 onewoman

People with coeliac disease can't tolerate gluten, but when you go for the coeliac tests you should actually eat gluten the day before/day of it, or else the antibodies that indicate its presence are unlikly to show up.

I've been tested for coeliac disease and a couple of other things on the basis of unbelievable, day-long, completely cramping stomach pains where I was unable to lie down or stand up! It only ever happened after eating fresh white bread, fresh pasta and other doughy things -- but no disease showed up.

It was eventually decided that I simply have a severe intolerance to processed wheaty things (white bread, white pasta, bagels, etc), so I gave them up and the pain stopped completely.

Basically, if you're coeliac or not, white processed wheat is pretty bad for you anyway and its only value (providing energy) can be found by eating (if you turn out *not* to be coeliac) wholewheat version of the same food.

If you do happen to be coeliac, though, there are tasty (if not entirely healthy) coeliacy versions of bread, pasta and pizza out there!

Advertisement