Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sugar substitutes

Options
  • 15-01-2008 8:13pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm seeing a lot of recipes recently where they include Splenda/Candarel etc instead of sugar. I thought I heard something somewhere (I know, could I get any more vague?) about these being carcinogenic, so I'm reluctant to use them. Are they actually any better than sugar in foods?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Splenda is a sugar derivative so should be fine. Candarel (the tablets) are basically saccharin AFAIK. They do a sugar derivative type thing too though. Everything in moderation tbh. I use candarel tablets in my coffee. I've heard that carcinogenic thing before too, but I think it applies to huge quantities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

This topic has come up before - See this thread.

Reading back over it I think I must have been going through rather stressful week :o

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Sugar Drunk

personally i wont touch anything that has aspartame, saccharin, zylitol or sorbitol in it. If I am going to eat something id rather it had some natural sugar in it which my body can cope with rather than chemicals which the body is not designed to cope with. Im allergic to these additives - if I drink diet coke or seven up free I start to shake and my hands get freezing cold.
    I am not sure of the evidence on the carcinogenic side theres lots of stories have done the rounds - apparently anything that has 'contains a source of phenylaninine' on it are bad as phenylanine can turn into fermaldehyde in your body.
    either way id rather eat/drink something with sugar than chemicals or just go for something with no sweetner at all

Advertisement