Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sushi??

Options
  • 15-01-2008 2:29pm
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm a big fan of sushi and I like to eat a lunch of 8 pieces (salmon, prawn, duck and chicken).

Is this a healthy option? healthier then a ciabatta with rockets, mayo and smoked chicken?

I'm presuming its better then junk food.

DeV.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

DeVore wrote: »
    I'm a big fan of sushi and I like to eat a lunch of 8 pieces (salmon, prawn, duck and chicken).

Is this a healthy option? healthier then a ciabatta with rockets, mayo and smoked chicken?
    Very healthy, and by and large, yes it's better for you than ciabatta & toppings. Just keep your sushi heavier on the fish side than the roll (rice) side.
    DeVore wrote:
    I'm presuming its better then junk food.
    Infinitely ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

But imho you should freeze the fish and meat for 48 hours before thawing and making sushi, to kill any parasites.

Mmmm, smoked chicken.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Sushi is delish and very good for you, especially the raw fish variety. It's fairly full of protein and other good oils.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

the slices of raw fish are called Sashimi.

Sushi is anything wrapped in rice and then in dried, pressed seaweed. Thats the stuff I like :)

DeV.

DeVore wrote: »
    the slices of raw fish are called Sashimi.

Sushi is anything wrapped in rice and then in dried, pressed seaweed. Thats the stuff I like :)

DeV.

Sashimi is indeed considered separate from sushi in Japan.

Fish on top of a block of rice is nigiri

Rolls wrapped in seaweed are norimaki - these can be further broken down into futomaki, which are thick rolls and hosomaki which are thin rolls.

There are further types, but they're the main categories.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭LivingDeadGirl

We have no sushi bars in cork :( Only overpriced little packets in M&S

I think that the Ivory Tower occasionally does Sushi nights - but it's probably expensive.

I used to love the Yumi Yuki club years ago. Typical of Cork though, the good restaurants close, and the not-so-good overpriced ones stay open.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Any decent Sashimi restaurants around Ireland anywhere?

I had some good sashimi a while back in the Japanese restaurant in Castleknock. Excellent quality fish.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Man, I want sushi now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭eden_my_ass

One of the fishmongers in the english market does sushi, or at least did last saturday when I was there, genuine japanese 'chef' and all....was an irish guy doing it down the coal quay for a while, seems to be gone :(

Advertisement