Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

strength dynamometers?

Options
  • 15-01-2008 1:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭

I have to complete a fitness test for a job in a couple of months and I was wondering if anyone knows of a gym that has strength dynamometers, hand grip and/or back/leg?

Or,
    For example for the back/leg strength test, in order to pass you have to apply a force of 117kgs. I am trying to figure out if that is equivalent to deadlifting 117kgs? Any help appreciated!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

have you tried asking them?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Boru might know. He was mentioning huge forces before and I reckon it was a meter rather than using acutal weights.

What is the job out of interest? that is way above what you are legally allowed to lift in work.

Also do you know how they will measure it, has it to be held for a number of seconds, e.g. a boxer can exert a massive force in a split second. Exerting a static force is easier than lifting it through a range of motion. e.g. I could probably deadlift 140kg, but if I was to stand upright, hold a barbell and force it against 2 weighing scales on either side, they would add up to way more than 140kg. Or similarly would be standing on a scale, then holding a static bar, like a strong railing and exerting a downward force, then your own wieght subtracted is the exerted force.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭lolo2

thanks guys
    the only information given was

"Strength – be assessed by undertaking test of hand grip and leg/back pull strength on a load cell dynamometer. Candidates should have handgrip strength of:

Dominant Hand – 35 kg or above;
    Subordinate Hand – 33 kg or above;

and a leg/back pull strength of 117 kg or above;"

its for firefighter job - just want to make sure im prepared!

rubadub - how its measured is what i'm hoping you guys can help me out with i.e. how a load cell dynamometer works. I think the force has to be exterted for 40 seconds.

A "load cell" is simply a fancy word for a weighing scales. In college I developed a dynamometer for a final year project (like a thesis), it is used to test motors, one motor is turns what is basically a generator. Thats what the term "dynamo" is on a bike, the rim turns a dynamo wheel which powers the light, the more power from the wheel the more light.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Load_cell
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamometer

Without seeing it there is no way of telling what it is like. Maybe google will show up more.

A uk site gave more info
    http://www.fireservice.co.uk/recruitment/physical.php
    Dead Lift.
    This dead lift test is designed to test your explosive strength combined with leg and back power. You will be required to lift the 50 kg weight using the special equipment provided.

The test will simulate the carrying of one end of a fire service light portable pump. You will be given full instructions on how to carry them out safely. Again, this test can vary from brigade to brigade
    Thats not much at all.
    Back / Thigh Pull Test.

Designed to test your back and thigh pulling strength , you will be asked to squat on a piece of equipment called a dynamometer. You will then be required to pull using your back and thighs and will need to pull to a measurement of 117 kg.
    If that is a full on squat it is quite a bit if you have not trained. I imagine you will squat and there is a elastic or static connection to what is basically a scales, as you pull up you put a force on the scale which will probably be digital and have a max readout or timer to see it was 117kg or above for a certain time. Or something like I described in the other post.

Hand Grip Test.

To test and determine the strength of your grip you will be required to undertake a grip test using a dynamometer.

To pass the test, the entry requirements you will need to be able to pull on the dynamometer are 35 Kg with your dominant hand and 33 Kg with your subordinate hand.

If you are right handed then this is classed as your dominant hand.
    Dunno if that would be like a gripper tool or just holding 35kg like deadlifting it with one hand. Doesnt sound much either way.

General training will help you either way. Big compound lifts all the way, squats of course, deadlifts, pullups, dips, chinups, military press, bench press, all will give the proper raw strength you need. Deadlifts, pulls & chinups will all give good grip strength. A gripper obviously would too, but not the crappy ones in lifestyle sports! a proper one
    http://www.heavygrips.com/
    http://www.ironmind.com/ironmind/opencms/ironmind/Main/captainsofcrush.html

But to be honest, the deads, chins pulls will be more than enough for grip. I would be training for squat the most.

wow rubadub, thanks for the detailed answer! And the training advice ... I've been at most of the calisthenics for a while now. And plenty of weighted squats. I think I found some pics of the dyno:

http://www.fitnessmonitor.co.uk/dynamic_images/TAK_A5002.jpg

http://www.fitnessassist.co.uk/acatalog/TAK_A5401.jpg

I weigh 55kgs and am deadlifting 65 (with crap form i might add ... it falls apart over 50kg). I was hoping that applying the force of 117kg to the dynomometer would not be the equivalent of actually lifting 117kg, I never did forces in physics, not quite sure I could make it.

• Advertisement

lolo2 wrote: »
    wow rubadub, thanks for the detailed answer! And the training advice ... I've been at most of the calisthenics for a while now. And plenty of weighted squats. I think I found some pics of the dyno:

http://www.fitnessmonitor.co.uk/dynamic_images/TAK_A5002.jpg

http://www.fitnessassist.co.uk/acatalog/TAK_A5401.jpg

I weigh 55kgs and am deadlifting 65 (with crap form i might add ... it falls apart over 50kg). I was hoping that applying the force of 117kg to the dynomometer would not be the equivalent of actually lifting 117kg, I never did forces in physics, not quite sure I could make it.

55kg?? that is little over 8.5stone? are you sure? Thought there would be a height limit to be a firefighter, and 8.5stone would be very thin at it.
    Also are you including the bar weight on your lifts? NEVER lift using bad form, especially deadlifting!
    As I said the 117kg seems a lot to be expected to squat, maybe it will not be a full range of motion- if the one in the picture is for the squat test it looks like a small ROM. But if you are only 55kg you might have a problem.

What is your training routine like? reps, sets, exercises etc? Others might be able to help you with it. Shrugs would probably help to do what the lad in the photo is doing.

Yep, 55kg. Im a woman. Theres no height requirement, you just have to pass a number of fitness and physiological assessments. I think your right about the range of motion. I have lifted people weighing around 110kg for a very small ROM on a stretcher so yeah, maybe it could work.

Your right about the form, the last thing I want to do is damage my back. It seems good up to 50kg, so I think I could use a step maybe for a while with the higher weights until I get it down.

I do about 6 random exercises from below currently:
    - handstands (nearly getting handstand pushups)3 * 5,
    - pull ups 2 * 5,
    - dorsal raises 2 * 20,
    - crab 50-60 secs,
    - elbow hold 2 * 60 secs,
    - side bridge 2 * 50 secs,
    - abdominals on the cable cross 3 * 20 with ten plates (dunno what it weighs),
    - dips 2 * 6,
    - lats 3 * 8 with 6 plates,
    - sometimes I do bicep curls with a barbell with 15kg 3 * 6 but I find these really hard,
    - squats 15 * 3 with 25kg,
    - deadlifts 3 with weight ranging from 40 - 65kg,
    - on knuckle push ups 3 * 10
    I run about 12 miles a week as well.

Needless to say - I'm fairly worn out at the end of the week and I just cant get enough food into me. I just really want the job so naturally I have to work harder because I'm smaller. Will add in some shrugs too, didn't think of those thanks for all the help rub :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

A DL that's 120% of your bodyweight? I like you :D

lolo2 wrote: »
    Yep, 55kg. Im a woman.
    Aha, I presumed you were a guy, most are on here, and my prejudiced mind still thinks fireman.

Seems odd that they would have the same strength requirements for men as women, I saw the form on google and it didnt have any distinction. The legal requirements in the workplace are different for men & women.

I would do some chinups if you can, better than bicep curls. To get good at pullups and chinups trying doing some negatives. i.e. stand on a box, hold yourself in the highest position and lower yourself slowly, same goes for dips. After you have done your normal reps, you can do a few negatives straight away after.

Are you doing 5 pullups in a row? and 6dips? or is it 2reps x5sets. 6 dips is very good, and it seems you might be better suited to bodyweight exercises, I certainly am, feel more comfortable.

No need to do pushups on your knuckles, serves no real purpose. You can raise your legs on a chair/bed/stairs to make hte pushups harder.

If you can nearly do a handstand pushup then try doing some standing military presses, they work your core too stablilising yourself, and will develop strength to do a HSPU. The problem with somethings like a handstand pushup or pullup/chinup is there is no "starting weight", you are thrown in at the deep end with all your weight.

My next aim/goal is a handstand pushup against a wall, eventually hope to do freestanding ones. Best of luck with the test

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Sailing___

Hi all, i am on the panel for the DFB and similarly training for the medical and physical. Does anyone know anywhere where they have a load cell dynamometer in a gym, or physio in Dublin that I can guage where I am?

• Advertisement
Advertisement