Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Processed cheese

Options
  • 15-01-2008 3:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭

How bad for you is processed cheese? Please no comments about how disgusting it is or how its not really cheese.(i've heard all the arguements before!!!)

I wouldn't eat much of it, just on top of things like baked potatoes etc...

Could hardly be that bad is it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭BigBenRoeth

Be god id 'ate it anyway...foods food and if it fills ye it fills ye:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭KIVES

Simply put I would say tis no worse for you than eating lots of cheddar...may contain more salt and probably does contain stuff like emulsifiers and other less attractive colourings+preservatives but on the whole my advice would be to stick with the old 'moderation' maxim and approach all cheeses with a small degree of caution, lest your mad to pile on the pounds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭gillyfromlyre

Nothing wrong with a bit of processed cheese every now and then

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭eve

Nothing wrong with a bit of processed cheese every now and then

a little is ok but how about a lot? My boyfriend eats between 4 and 12 slices of toasted processed cheese on white bread nearly every day. He has had problems with his weight since secondary school but his problem is that he can't put on weight and is regularly under 10 stone (he's 6 foot 1). How much damage is this doing to his body? He also drinks copious amounts of Diet Coke

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭ali.c

eve wrote: »
    a little is ok but how about a lot? My boyfriend eats between 4 and 12 slices of toasted processed cheese on white bread nearly every day. He has had problems with his weight since secondary school but his problem is that he can't put on weight and is regularly under 10 stone (he's 6 foot 1). How much damage is this doing to his body? He also drinks copious amounts of Diet Coke

Right i would be of the opinion that the cheese isnt the cause of his weight problems. If he is reguraly under weight and going of the figures i presume he has a slight build(?) i'd say overall he just isnt eating enough to gain muscle. i have heard guys moaning about how hard it is to put on weight and i personally think alot of them do undereat on a regular basis.

Rarely with dietary issues is it one thing or another, i'd imagine the white bread isnt doing him a whole lot of favours but then its still better than eating nothing.

• Advertisement

I'd say it might just be his metabolism to be honest,some people are just small,end of.

ali.c wrote: »
    Rarely with dietary issues is it one thing or another, i'd imagine the white bread isnt doing him a whole lot of favours but then its still better than eating nothing.

Generally I'm just glad to see that he is eating something. He had E Coli as a teen and lost a lot of weight in a few weeks. That was about 8 years ago and while he does have a slight build he still looks underweight. In terms of calories I would guess that he is getting enough but most of it is from fried food, takeaways, chocolate, crisps, etc.

You should talk to him about and lay down the rule that he just has to start eating good food and cut back on the junk.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

I'd say it might just be his metabolism to be honest,some people are just small,end of.
    Metabolism and genetics are a factor no doubt, but once you've a mostly intact digestive tract (and no ghastly diseases, then) they pale in comparison to the basic thermodynamic equation of eating more than you burn, or vice versa.

You should talk to him about and lay down the rule that he just has to start eating good food and cut back on the junk.

I've tried and he does try but if he doesn't get a chance to get something between college and going to work, he'll stop at a chipper instead. Or go without till he's finished work and stop at a chipper on the way home. After more than 3 years of this I've learned that not much is going to change. Even the chest pains he gets occasionally only put him on the straight and narrow for a week or two at best.

• Advertisement

Well then in all honesty,if he hasnt changed in 3 years then i dont think hes going to change any time soon,sorry if this sounds ignorant but to be honest i think what might wake him up most is a scare from the doctor.:(

No, I agree completely. I don't think he will change his ways until he gets a scare. I just dread to think how bad that scare may be :(

Well maybe it will be a chance of some mild diabetes,nothing too bad but just making sure he gets enough/not too much sugar.
    Not that he'll have to be injecting insulin everyday or anything,but just a small chance.

I dunno about that its her bf not her child, if it was a guy complaining about his gf's overeating i doubt many people would be in favour of lay down the rules, the guy in question is an adult ffs.
    No, I agree completely. I don't think he will change his ways until he gets a scare. I just dread to think how bad that scare may be :(
    True but as in the case of one partners over-eating tbh if they do not want to/feel the need to make a change then there is really nothing the other person can do about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

ApeXaviour wrote: »
    they pale in comparison to the basic thermodynamic equation of eating more than you burn, or vice versa.
    Very true, a lot of fat & thin people reckon they eat "normal" amounts and are defying the laws of physics, while if they actually got out a scales and measured how much they actually eat (not put on their plate) then it would all become very clear.
    He has had problems with his weight since secondary school but his problem is that he can't put on weight and is regularly under 10 stone
    Have you any idea of his actual calorie intake? 4-12 slices is a difference of 300%.
    Does he actually think he has a problem, or just you?
    I know a skinny lad and some mates think he eats a lot, he doesnt, I lived with him for 6 months. He is not concerned at all. He loves peanuts and knows if he ate a pack a day the weight would pile on, simple maths, he is happy as he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I saw this tv programme recently where this very thin woman in her 30's had an awful diet - icecream for breakfast, wine and takeaways every evening for dinner and chocolate every day. She claimed it was because she was trying to put on weight.

Despite how thin she was she had a podgy belly (admittedly she'd had a baby the year before) and her skin and hair looked awful. She was lethargic and regularly experienced serious mood swings.

When she was assessed it was found that although she was very thin and considered in the healthy BMI zone she had a high fat to muscle ratio so she was 'fat on the inside' as they called it. She was told she was heading for near certain diabetes and heart disease.
    They put her on a high protein, low carb diet and gave her plenty of exercise to build up muscle but not lose weight. She lost weight for the first couple of weeks and after that it stablised and she started to gain muscle. The difference after 8 weeks was amazing.

I thought it was very interested and seems relevant to eve's bf's situation. I see thin people (mostly men) eating sh1t and crap every day and their excuse is they don't/can't put on weight but what they don't realise is that although you can't see the effects of this diet on the outside they are slowly but surely killing themselves on the inside.

rubadub wrote: »
    Have you any idea of his actual calorie intake? 4-12 slices is a difference of 300%.
    Does he actually think he has a problem, or just you?
    I know a skinny lad and some mates think he eats a lot, he doesnt, I lived with him for 6 months. He is not concerned at all. He loves peanuts and knows if he ate a pack a day the weight would pile on, simple maths, he is happy as he is.

I have no problem with his weight but both of us are concerned about his diet (the actual food he eats). It consists of lots of grilled processed cheese, white bread (the butter is spreadly thinkly on each slice), chipper chips, battered sauages, deep fried food, takeways, crisps, chocolate, sweets, etc. This is on top of anything between 500ml's and 1.5 litres of coke per day depending on college/work schedule.

He eats no fruit and at best gets maybe one portion of veg a day (this is when he's actually at home after college and one of us cooks). He has inflation of his stomach 'of unknown cause'.

He just can't seem to change the habits that he has built up over a lifetime. I do try to help him but at the moment I am only seeing him for half an hour in the morning and I'm generally in bed when he gets home.

Do you think he has a problem? Do you think he is a risk from heart and stress related problems?

I saw this tv programme recently where this very thin woman in her 30's had an awful diet - icecream for breakfast, wine and takeaways every evening for dinner and chocolate every day. She claimed it was because she was trying to put on weight.
    I thought it was very interested and seems relevant to eve's bf's situation. I see thin people (mostly men) eating sh1t and crap every day and their excuse is they don't/can't put on weight but what they don't realise is that although you can't see the effects of this diet on the outside they are slowly but surely killing themselves on the inside.

You've hit the nail on the head. To look at him you'd think he was healthy enough. But I think his appearance may be masking problems to come

I have no problem with his weight but both of us are concerned about his diet (the actual food he eats). It consists of lots of grilled processed cheese, white bread (the butter is spreadly thinkly on each slice), chipper chips, battered sauages, deep fried food, takeways, crisps, chocolate, sweets, etc. This is on top of anything between 500ml's and 1.5 litres of coke per day depending on college/work schedule.
    it doesnt sound great from a health point of view (or indeed a financial point of view)
    He just can't seem to change the habits that he has built up over a lifetime. I do try to help him but at the moment I am only seeing him for half an hour in the morning and I'm generally in bed when he gets home.
    Honestly I am going to say that is utter crap, its not the he just cant do it, anyone can change their habits if they choose to. It sounds more like, whilst at times it concerns him its not the arsed about doing anything about it.

Do you think he has a problem? Do you think he is a risk from heart and stress related problems?

He eats a pretty crap diet but honestly the only way for him to get the answer to that question is to go to the doctor and get a full blood work done. They should check all the indicators and be able to give an assessment of his current health status

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Sugar Drunk

Despite how thin she was she had a podgy belly (admittedly she'd had a baby the year before) and her skin and hair looked awful. She was lethargic and regularly experienced serious mood swings.

When she was assessed it was found that although she was very thin and considered in the healthy BMI zone she had a high fat to muscle ratio so she was 'fat on the inside' as they called it. She was told she was heading for near certain diabetes and heart disease.
    They put her on a high protein, low carb diet and gave her plenty of exercise to build up muscle but not lose weight. She lost weight for the first couple of weeks and after that it stablised and she started to gain muscle. The difference after 8 weeks was amazing.

v true. This is why I am, trying to eat healthier. I am the sort of girl who can eat a horrific amount and still be thin it must be a metabolism thing but I used to eat chocolate and crisps and drink coke everyday. People do tend to wonder why I am trying to eat healthier if I dont put on weight from junk but its because I want to be healthy on the inside and avoid diabetes and heart problems. Your boyfriend can change eve, I did as did many others on here I am sure but he has to want to do it. Its great that you are sensible enough to realise that what he is doing is not healthy but unfortunatetly he has to make a conscious decision to change.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

The thing about eating loads and staying thin is that your percentage of body fat will be huge. It doesn't matter if you wear a size 10 and have a flat stomach, you're still fat on the inside and this is as dangerous as being visibly obese. For women, body fat should be about 20% - 26%. Jamie Oliver had a program on last night called "Eat to Save your Life" and there was a 43 year old woman who'd started putting on some weight when she hit 40. She was a size 16, but had a body fat percentage of 50%!

Advertisement