Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Indian Take-Aways

Options
  • 14-01-2008 1:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭

How bad are they reguards nutrition?

The one I go to states it uses no artificial flavours or MSG. It tastes healthy & I feel great after it. Compared to Chinese takeaways where I can taste the sugar in the curry sauce & feel like crap almost immediately.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭ellenmelon

i know that as a vegetarian, indian is really the only takeaway i go for as the options are really good. if you go for a tomato based curry you're better off than something really creamy. i dont know any nutritional info about them but id say the extra's like rice, poppadoms and naan are going to be worse for you! :) watch the portions of the mains though, as they sometimes give you a lot. once you find a non greasy indian, stick with it! theyre hard to find :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Tandoori chicken is usually a good choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Indian is great, shame it has the highest calorie count of any food :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Indian food when cooked properly is very nutritious, but a lot of the food that you get form Indian Takeaways tends to contain a lot of cream and therefore a lot of calories. Couple that with the high carb content of Naan bread and the like and you've got yourself a calorific dinner!

Saruman wrote: »
    Indian is great, shame it has the highest calorie count of any food :D

Thats a very broad statement. Tandoori chicken is baked dry and is quite low in calories. There is also 2 factor in calories, the portion size and caloire density. In the other thread I was mentioning my chinese had huge amounts of caloires in it, but this is mainly due to the massive portion sizes. Some indian places will also give stupidly big portions of sauce and naan/rice. But if you go for tandoori chicken then at most you usually get half a small chicken. Bombay pantry is great since they do not force you to buy rice or naan with their dishes. They also list what is low in fat.

http://www.bombaypantry.com/index.php?page=orders&tid=3&sid=0&lang=en

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭mack1

Obviously depends on what you get but in general Indian take-aways are among the worst as far as I'm concerned, most of the sauces have simply staggering amounts of butter, cream and salt.

I have some indian friends and they pride themselves with just how much butter they can squeeze into their cooking!

But like rubadub said, you can get stuff like tandoori chicken which is not doused in sauce - but tandoori in Ireland is not usually that good.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

rubadub wrote: »
    Thats a very broad statement.
    About as broad as saying Ireland is a nation of drinkers :D Obviously we are, so its True but that is not to say its true about everyone. Some people do not drink much, others do not drink alcohol at all... but in the overall scheme of things, it is True to say we Irish drink a lot of alcohol.
    Same with Indian food over here. For the most part it is, as in the dishes most people get are covered in sauce that has a high calorie content. I once was in an indian restaurant and i ordered something, do not know what it was called.. the waiter asked was i sure as its a dry dish, as in no sauce... So i changed my mind in case he was warning me i will probably not like it.
    Chances are i would have liked it but the Indian waiter knew that we like lots of sauce on our food.

Saruman wrote: »
    Same with Indian food over here. For the most part it is, as in the dishes most people get are covered in sauce that has a high calorie content.
    Yes, for the most part people CHOOSE to ingest far more calories than they need, and hence many are obese. I lost a bit of weight and have people asking me about foods etc all the time, which alcohol to drink, etc since they know I have read up a bit.

Restaurants will cater to what is demanded, so the chinese I mentioned in the other thread weighs in at 2500kcal, http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055209321
    I doubt you see many chinese people sitting down and eating that much. Indians are not really known as an obese nation either, maybe they do not have the same problem with portion control as many people seem to.

If you are to get a takeaway in my mind there is no competition to which is the best if you want something low in calories, an indian wins hands down. I cannot think of any other that comes close. Most chinese places in my area insist/force the chips/rice/noodles with each dish. And most starters are quite oily. Pizza has massive amounts of calories, especially as people here usually eat a pizza intended for 2-3people. I cannot think of any takeaway delivery places with so many low calorie options, whether or not people choose them is up to them, but the choice is yours.
    but tandoori in Ireland is not usually that good.
    Try the bombay pantry, you can see on my link above that many are marked as low in fat. They serve in long big dishes, no need for naan or rice. Always get amazing reviews.

Advertisement