Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dogs

Options
  • 11-01-2008 4:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭

Which is the best breed of dog in your opinion?,personally I like the Gordon Setter.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭the dee

I think beagles and Huskies are beautiful dogs.

Jack Russells would probably be my favourites though because they are so cute and have so much energy and personality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭lurchin along

Perhaps "favourite" breed would be a better way of putting it?
    Gordons are gorgeous and whenever I see one the owners are delighted that I know what it is!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

To me thats like asking what race of ppl do you prefer.

All dogs have different traits and qualities and each dog has different personalities.

Anyhow, i do like the labradors, Jack russel, Alsatian, rottweiler and Margret Tatcher

Not quite snyper,certain characteristics go with certain breeds-and besides which their looks play a large part in why they are chosen.
    The similarity in looks between dogs and their owners is a well known phenomenom,and sometimes the dog has a look we WISH we had!
    I used to show a notably skinny looking hound breed and I was the ONLY skinny handler in the breed!In fact I was often pressed into service trotting the dogs up for the larger ladies who couldn't manage enough speed to show off the dogs' long stride and floating trot!
    Gordons have an aristocratic but fun look to them OP
    Does this describe you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Amimad

Mine is a working kelpie & just to show how great they are here's apicture of mine.[IMG]http://[/img]keye.jpg
    [IMG]http://[/img]Ding_18mth1.jpg

My other favorite is a Colabrador, & so not to leave him out here's Timmy
    [IMG]http://[/img]timmysmiles1.jpg

Ami

• Advertisement

Couldn't bring your pics up Amimad.Dying to know what your collie lab cross looks like.
    From your choice of dogs according to the dog/owner resemblance theory you have the look of a person that could and probably does work long and hard,a bit rough round the edges perhaps but good fun and not in the least bit pretentious!

I'll try again
    Ding_18mth1.jpg
    keye.jpg
    timmysmiles1.jpg
    you have the look of a person that could and probably does work long and hard,a bit rough round the edges perhaps but good fun and not in the least bit pretentious!
    :rolleyes::DNearly right.
    I wouldn't say rough, maybe dishevelled.
    And working long & hard , no, not for me, I try for to get it done qiuck & right the first time. Then I can spend more time on that fun thing:p

Ya,now I see the dogs,that's the smoothest looking kelpie I've ever seen!They both look a little manic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭YoYOPowder

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

I reckon the OP might mean the best looking dogs?

If so, for me its the Bull Terrier.

terrier-1.jpg

I won't ever own one. To much bad press.

• Advertisement

Ah Lurchin,
    You have given me a laugh on this dreary Fri afternoon.

Manic is one word for them.
    I recon the red guy has OCD. They are a hand full but they are so loving & smart that it just out weighs all the rest:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

keye.jpg

That dog could play Jack Nichlsons part in the all dog version of "one flew over the cuckoos nest" :D

Hes mad looking! I love him :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

I think the basset hound is the nicest looking;
    1708489484_09ef5fda28.jpg I'm biased though

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

If only they weren't so rare I'd get me one of these:

Axel%20small.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

peasant, is that some sort of Ovcharka? He's massive!

I don't think I could choose any one breed! I really prefer mongrels to purebreds really, even though I have a westie, I do like westies obviously, they all seem to have strange habits lol. mine is no exception! she is an oddball, but she is unique :p but in general I prefer long haired dogs rather than smooth coated dogs and I'm not a huge fan of smushed faces even though they are cute. I like wolfie looking dog's too, GSDs/GSD mixes, huskies, malamutes that sorta thing. I especially love red & white huskies like this one:

06034173022809_1.jpg

I also like hounds, american foxhounds are pretty, coonhounds, bloodhounds and bassets are very cute and squishy looking! and there's a nice french breed called the grand blue de gascoigne (sp?)

I also like JRT types, they are so spunky and have such character lol

Golden retrievers and labs are nice as well, lovely temperaments usually and have a nice gentle look to them.

I also like most collies, they are usually hairy, intelligent and just cute. I saw a beautiful one the other day who had one blue eye.

also like greyhounds/lurchers/whippets, and staffy/staffy x's, and king charles are little cuties too, one of our dog's is a staffy/kc mix. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

IMHO a good dog has no breed. If the two of you click and you suit each other then it doesn't matter what breed or x breed a dog is. Sure, we all have our preferences and beauty is in the eye of the beholder but I much prefer a dog that picks me then vice versa :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 lakes

staffordshire bull terrier is best

IMG_0139.jpg

peasant wrote: »
    If only they weren't so rare I'd get me one of these:

Axel%20small.jpg

What type of dog is that Peasant?

That is a "south russian ovtcharka" ...basically a large, shaggy herd guardian, loosely related to other flock guardians from the Caucasus area.

Not a dog for the novice though, and certainly not one that you'd want to see getting fashionable or widespread.

The Soviet army had a hand in the latest breed lines and they experimented with them for guarding and protecting outlying military installions and made them a tad fiercer and more independent than they ought to be for everyday use.

So, no cuddly dogs there, despite their looks.

They do look fabulous though !

Yeah, they are lovely. Surprised you don't have one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭Pheonix Ski

Bull breeds would have to be my favourite,dont no if i think there is a "best breed"

Pheonix.jpg
    cesar.jpg?t=1200580240

Bull breeds would have to be my favourite,dont no if i think there is a "best breed"

Yeah, I'm just going with best looking here, pretty shallow and stuff, but its only a laugh.

I love the Spinone too.. really cool looking shaggy dog.

spinone.jpg

The Rothweiler is really attractive too.

lightening wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm just going with best looking here, pretty shallow and stuff, but its only a laugh.

I love the Spinone too.. really cool looking shaggy dog.

spinone.jpg

The Rothweiler is really attractive too.

Two very different looking dogs lol.... Not a great fan off the long haired breeds but in saying that being a girl i do think maltese and bichons are lovely looking (but would never have one)

Two very different looking dogs lol

Yeah, I know... Ever see an otter hound? They are nice too.

Yeah, I know... Ever see an otter hound? They are nice too.

i just looked them up,hadnt heard of them before... There nice! Do you like the glen of immals?

Yeah, they are lovely. Surprised you don't have one.

Well , I don't quite see the point in travelling all the way to eastern Europe/Russia, paying a fortune and all that ...

...all to get a dog that is way too big (mentally and physically) for our half acre.

Good looking as it may be.

Do you like the glen of immals?

Yeah, and Wheatan's and Kerry's... The only dogs I reckon don't look that nice are some of those hairless ones and some toys, and over groomed ones.

peasant wrote: »
    Well , I don't quite see the point in travelling all the way to eastern Europe/Russia, paying a fortune and all that ...

...all to get a dog that is way too big (mentally and physically) for our half acre.

Oh right, didn't think they would cost a fortune. Mind you it would make a great campervan trip!

Yeah, and Wheatan's and Kerry's... The only dogs I reckon don't look that nice are some of those hairless ones and some toys, and over groomed ones.

Oh i no there is some dreadful looking dogs (as terrible as it may seem to say) but i guess everyone has different taste ... Beauty is in the eyes off the beholder and all that....

• Advertisement

Oh right, didn't think they would cost a fortune. Mind you it would make a great campervan trip!

Haha thats very true!!!

Advertisement