Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breakfast - Which is better for me?

Options
  • 11-01-2008 3:36pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭

Hi

Normally for my breakfast I will have a single weetabix mixed with half bowl of rice krispies with warm skimmed milk. No sugar. This is followed by two slices of wholegrain toast with Flora lite and a little marmalade taken with a cup of tea, no sugar.

I would imagine that this would be a fairly healthy breakfast to have. I was wondering though if I would be better replacing the cereal with porridge and honey? I couldn't eat the porridge without some kind of sweetener and I don't use sugar.

I suppose I could always alternate for a bit of variety? What would you recommend?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭mack1

Ballyman wrote: »
    Hi

Normally for my breakfast I will have a single weetabix mixed with half bowl of rice krispies with warm skimmed milk. No sugar. This is followed by two slices of wholegrain toast with Flora lite and a little marmalade taken with a cup of tea, no sugar.

I would imagine that this would be a fairly healthy breakfast to have. I was wondering though if I would be better replacing the cereal with porridge and honey? I couldn't eat the porridge without some kind of sweetener and I don't use sugar.

I suppose I could always alternate for a bit of variety? What would you recommend?

Yes porridge would be better - there ain't nothin better than porridge! A little honey in there is fine.

You should also try get some protein with breakfast, eggs being the usual!

Your breakfast above ain't too bad I suppose, wheatabix are fairly processed and higher GI than porridge, rice crispies are muck though!

Also, while it's good that you are looking to avoid sugar, note the high sugar content of the rice crispies and the marmalade!

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭samsamson

I'd switch the flora lite with plain unsalted butter, the flora is probably very highly processed.

I agree with mack1s suggestions above too, most marmalades are around 50% sugar.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

samsamson wrote: »
    I'd switch the flora lite with plain unsalted butter, the flora is probably very highly processed.

I agree with mack1s suggestions above too.

I have high cholesterol. Believe me, if I could eat butter I would :)

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭samsamson

Oh fair enough!

Keep in mind though that highly processed foods won't do wonders for your cholesterol either, even if they throw a few plant sterols or whatever in the mix too.

Maybe cut out spreads altogether?? (Eugh, dry toast :( )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

In that case (high cholesterol), porridge is a *great* choice as wholegrains are full of fibre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,140 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Cutting out spread won't make it "dry toast", he uses marmalade, I cut out butter/spread when having jam or similar when I was much younger. Not so much for health, but tast and ease of making. It wouldn't take long to get used to.

Re: High sugar in rice krispies, its worth pointing out that they are a very light cereal, so a bowl of RKs will half have the sugar as a bowl of regular cereal with the same sugar/100g

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

samsamson wrote: »
    Oh fair enough!

Keep in mind though that highly processed foods won't do wonders for your cholesterol either, even if they throw a few plant sterols or whatever in the mix too.

Maybe cut out spreads altogether?? (Eugh, dry toast :( )

Not necessary: http://www.prnewswire.co.uk/cgi/news/release?id=93460
    Basically the jist is that independant reports have shown that flora pro-active and the likes actaully do help lower cholesterol.
    There's a lot of talk about processed food, but to an extent, every food is processed. It's just a case of knowing which processes are harmful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭McGinty

Hi Op

I mix a bowl of dry porridge, a bit of milk and either 2-3 tablespoons of a sweet yogurt (some nice bio/organic ones) say strawberry or peach, etc, mix it all together, let it soak for ten minutes and then eat it, it is lovely that way.

Advertisement