Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good things which have fallen out of fashion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

- Supercans. 500ml of fizzy goodness.
    - For the kids - cardboard with pegs in bike spokes and Kelloggs wheel reflectors. See attached.
    - Wham.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Capes. It was a sad day for men everywhere when the coat was invented. You can't make a flashy entrance/exit with a coat.

Depends how long your coat is and how quiet you are
    <_<
    >_>

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

dublindude wrote: »
    Arcade games

They still make amazing arcade games (realistic car simulators etc.) Does anyone care?

Comics

Do kids read comics anymore?

When home consoles became able to port arcade games near flawlessly, that was their death knell.

I can't speak for kids but there's certainly a thriving 20 something market for comics. They're not really aimed at kids, any more. Unless you speak of beano/dandy etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

<QUOTE>Soda Stream</QUOTE>

Soda Steam is making a come back, I was walking through arnotts I think when a girl started telling me about soda stream. The major selling point this time round is that it's good for the environment as you reuse the bottle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Tap water.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Yeah that was cool.

I also loved "Block Towers" (a 2000 AD game),

That was Block Wars... and yes.. it was pretty damn awesome... There was an expansion pack too that I always wanted to get that let you have 4 players with 4 massive blocks battling it out.

On topic... I really wish hats were as fashionable as they used to be back before the 60s came along and ruined everything for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Waiting 20 minutes for computer games to load (and all the colours and noises that accompanied it).
    Playing outside. Nowadays kids go outside and sit on a curb, playing their DS's and PSP's. In my day, we beat the **** out of each other in british bulldogs or murderball.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

Sonic the hedgehog , I recenetly bought a pc game which allowed me to play all the retro sonic games from the megadrive just as they were

God so much fun :)

oh dont talk. i bought something similar for the PS2 with loads of games on it that used to be for the old commadore 64 et al. spent ages playing gauntlet, spyhunter, bubble bobble (or whatever :) ) PSSST , rampage etc etc

class.

its amazing how playable those simple games were.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

• Manners
    • Punctuation
    • Standardized spelling
    • Kids doing what they're told
    • Good grammar
    • A time when you could discipline someone else's kids and their parents would back you up
    • Concerts/cinema/lectures without mobile ring tones
    • People saving for their house deposits instead of getting them off their parents
    • People not having their parents look after their kids
    • Manners

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Speed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 551 ✭✭✭funktastic

Milk bottles
    Cigarette shaped confectionary
    The Ice Age
    Dinosaurs
    Alf
    Old Italia ’90 Irish jerseys
    Late 80s/early 90s Indie/Shoegaze scene
    1920s slang

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Slow coach wrote: »
    • Manners
    • Punctuation
    • Standardized spelling
    • Kids doing what they're told
    • Good grammar
    • A time when you could discipline someone else's kids and their parents would back you up
    • Concerts/cinema/lectures without mobile ring tones
    • People saving for their house deposits instead of getting them off their parents
    • People not having their parents look after their kids
    • Manners
    Ahem.
    Standardised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭'Ol Jack Chance

asbestos

Terry wrote: »
    Ahem.
    Standardised.

Either is quite ok, namesake. Look 'em up.

Yes, but it also shows the lack of stadardisation.
    Also, the second one is the dumbed down American bastardised version, where they use "Z" instead of "S".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

I'm with Terry on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Terry wrote: »
    Also, the second one is the dumbed down American bastardised version, where they use "Z" instead of "S".

Wrong

D.T. Jesus wrote: »

Thank you, Jesus. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

Back on topic:
    Drink driving

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Slow coach wrote: »
    Either is quite ok, namesake. Look 'em up.

Either one is indeed technically correct. It still hurts my eyes as if you used text speak though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

[
    Comics

Do kids read comics anymore?

Comics are still going strong - we had two comic cons in ireland last year and the numbers for 24 hour comics day doubled.

I've got a comic event to attend ever month from now till next July :D

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭channaigh

telly only turned on in the evening when news came on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

There are comics for kids nowadays which come with a cheap, tacky gift that inflates the price and, of course, children go crazy for them. You buy the comic, collect the gift from behind the counter. You get home, the child plays with the gift, but do they look at the comic - no! Glad to see Beano is still on the shelves (minus the gift!), and my son loves it.

kelle wrote: »
    There are comics for kids nowadays which come with a cheap, tacky gift that inflates the price and, of course, children go crazy for them. You buy the comic, collect the gift from behind the counter. You get home, the child plays with the gift, but do they look at the comic - no! Glad to see Beano is still on the shelves (minus the gift!), and my son loves it.

I wouldn't class those kids magazines that come with the toys as comics at all.

Comics have really undergone a change in the last few years we don't just have mainstream american comics anymore, we are starting to get a good selection of small press books, manga and european comics [thou the latter is still the hardest to come by] and comics covering ever topic from romance to politics. Comics ain't just for kids

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

when the sentence "mam I'm going to the shops" wasn't followed by "take your brother or you might be raped or killed"

:(

also Lucky charms
    bring them back damnit

Sonic the hedgehog , I recenetly bought a pc game which allowed me to play all the retro sonic games from the megadrive just as they were

God so much fun :)
    So you liked Sonic and his multiple pricks?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

penny sweets

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

buying cds.

penny sweets.

slouch socks.

• Advertisement

Cianos wrote: »
    penny sweets

O yeah! I really miss penny sweets

Advertisement