Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kajal Indian Restaurant Malahide

Options
  • 11-01-2008 10:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭

Anybody been down yet? Its beside Starbucks towards the Marina Village. Its only been open a short while but have tried to make a booking for a Saturday and they instantly say 'sorry we're booked out' for all Saturday's in the near future :eek: Anybody I know who has rung to book have got the same bull**** line. Maybe they only have 5 tables, that would explain it :p

They cant be that popular so quick surely? Are they trying to sound good by saying they are booked out constantly to create an impression that its such a great place that you will take any booking just to go :confused:

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Umm I'm booked in there for next Saturday and I only booked last Sunday :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

ixoy wrote: »
    Umm I'm booked in there for next Saturday and I only booked last Sunday :)

:)

Let me know what its like will you so I can see if its worth a visit!

You can be the guinea-pig :D

When I rang last night the waiter didnt even check the book, he just "sorry sir we are booked up all Saturday's" AMB.

Sizzler wrote: »

Will do!

To be fair to the guy, I saw the list of this Saturday's bookingss quickly when I was there last Sunday and it seemed very full.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

You can be the guinea-pig :D

When I rang last night the waiter didnt even check the book, he just "sorry sir we are booked up all Saturday's" AMB.

Maybe you just have one of those voices/accents that fill up restaurant bookings as soon as they answer!!

BTW It is officialy a "Pakistani Cuisine" restaurant rather than an "Indian Cuisine" a succint but essential difference to note

• Registered Users Posts: 24,954 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Spook_ie wrote: »
    Maybe you just have one of those voices/accents that fill up restaurant bookings as soon as they answer!
    LOL :D

OP - would you not try some other day if you are that keen to go there.

Several times I've telephoned restaurants to make a booking and get the sharp intake of breadth, a long mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm and then "we might be able to squeeze you in sir".

We then arrive and the place is empty! :confused:

• Advertisement

Spook_ie wrote: »
    Maybe you just have one of those voices/accents that fill up restaurant bookings as soon as they answer!!
    Maybe you're a clown but I'll reserve judgement till you clarify that comment please? What are you suggesting?

If you read the original post I said I know plenty of people who have called only to be told the same thing.

OP - would you not try some other day if you are that keen to go there.

Not that keen tbh.

But to be fair Siam Thai & Silks is the same so I can see how it happens in their defence :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Maybe you're a clown but I'll reserve judgement till you clarify that comment please? What are you suggesting?

If you read the original post I said I know plenty of people who have called only to be told the same thing.

Not that keen tbh.

But to be fair Siam Thai & Silks is the same so I can see how it happens in their defence :)

[TIC ON]

I'm suggesting nothing other than a possible reason for staff to instantly say " Sorry sir we are booked up all Saturday's " without looking at a book.

Maybe you just sound "ugly" and not like one of the beautiful people of Malahaide ( Yes I spelt it like they say it )

[TIC OFF]

TIC = Tongue In Cheek ( Just In Case I need To Explain Everything, As You Sometimes Have To)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Hi all, its owned by the gang who own Kinnara in Clontart.

Excellent food! I hope you all get bookings...

^^ Yeah heard it was owned by them alright.

I enjoyed Kinara but wouldnt be q-ing outside to get in again ;)

Will give Kajal a whirl one of the nights for a change. (Mental note - Book 3 months in advance with my best Malahide accent lol)

Just back - very nice meal and I would recommend it. I preferred it (slightly) to Jaipur, which would be a similar enough venue nearby.

To be fair, the place was completely full and there isn't a huge amount of tables inside. I thought the ambience was quite good and our table (for two) was fairly spaced from the others - our chairs were also big leather affairs. Looking around they had a fair few tables catering for large parties (there were as at least five birthdays on while we were there).

Portions were all a good size and the menu (online anyway) was quite decent. The only one that was a bit on the small side was the range of desserts, although the strawberry cheesecake was nice. I can't comment on the wine selection as I don't drink the stuff.

I'd recommend you give it a shot - maybe turn up in person as we did and they can't fob you off so easily!

• Advertisement

Looking around they had a fair few tables catering for large parties (there were as at least five birthdays on while we were there)
    That always spoils the ambience of a restaurant (in my opinion!) :(

Just back - very nice meal and I would recommend it. I preferred it (slightly) to Jaipur, which would be a similar enough venue nearby.

To be fair, the place was completely full and there isn't a huge amount of tables inside. I thought the ambience was quite good and our table (for two) was fairly spaced from the others - our chairs were also big leather affairs. Looking around they had a fair few tables catering for large parties (there were as at least five birthdays on while we were there).

Portions were all a good size and the menu (online anyway) was quite decent. The only one that was a bit on the small side was the range of desserts, although the strawberry cheesecake was nice. I can't comment on the wine selection as I don't drink the stuff.

I'd recommend you give it a shot - maybe turn up in person as we did and they can't fob you off so easily!

Cheers -useful.

Will give it a go so :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 harmoboxer

Are you from real MAAALAHOIDE?? Coz if like me you are not you will struggleto get a booking!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭barnesd

They have an early bird menu from 5-7 I think on weekdays, 20 euro or so for set meal.

Finally got round to eating here and solved the mystery of why its so difficult to get a booking in the process.....the place is f**king tiny !!

They are booked out 3 wks in advance for fri & sat nights which makes sense given the demand for those nights versus the size of the place. You will have no problem strolling in during the week though.

Superb food, cramped surroundings (granted some tables are tucked away nicely but theres only about 3 of them) and hit & miss service was our experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

is it as good as indy spice in swords?

The food probably is better alright based on my visit, generous portions and the food arrives in nice little pots :) The service needs polishing though. Wasnt busy when we were there and they still managed to "forget" about dessert and coffees that were ordered :(

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭CtrlSource

Was there this evening and was impressed with the place. Food lovely. Service very polite and attentive. Staff seemed to work well as a team.

For quite a small restaurant, the design works really well and you don't feel cramped. They clearly put thought into the fitting-out, which is of high quality.

Will go back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 JMCB50

YES IT IS THAT GOOD. ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT. LOTS OF TABLES AND ALWAYS PACKED, EVEN MIDWEEK. BOOK ABOUT 3 WEEKS AHEAD IF YOU WANT A REASONABLE TIME ON A FRIDAY OR SATURDAY NIGHT. FOOD IS GREAT

JMCB50 wrote: »
    YES IT IS THAT GOOD. ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT. LOTS OF TABLES AND ALWAYS PACKED, EVEN MIDWEEK. BOOK ABOUT 3 WEEKS AHEAD IF YOU WANT A REASONABLE TIME ON A FRIDAY OR SATURDAY NIGHT. FOOD IS GREAT
    Interesting! You wouldn't happen to work there or own the place as it's your first post and the thread is months old?????

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

No. Me and Mr Me have been in to Kajal a few times now for the Thali lunch. It was quite good when it started but seems to have faltered a little. We also got an early bird dinner there one time that we were not mad on plus it was a bit expensive. Bilash Tandoori around the corner from it is better value for money but I think Indie spice and DChilli Shaker in Swords are better. I would go yo Kajal if I wanted to impress someone like on a date, etc. The service is good though.

D'Chilli Shaker upped their lunch special to 9.90 and they've been a lot quieter since. It's gas... well, I feel sorry for them actually: it's still cracking great value (esp when you consider a big mac meal is 7) and the food is lovely - not as nice as indie spice imo but I work with a fella who thinks the opposite so different strokes.

I was there on Wednesday and it was still excellent (and packed too). I'd definitely recommend it even if it's a tad pricey. I think it's a good bit nicer than the Bilash Tandoori nearby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 JMCB50

doh, Wishbone Ash, no actually - I don't work there. Just came across this board whilst looking for there phone number, saw your post and decided that an alternative opinion was merited. I had a good experience here each and every time I have been and it would appear that many others have too,

JMCB50 wrote: »
    doh, Wishbone Ash, no actually - I don't work there. Just came across this board whilst looking for there phone number
    Fair enough - apologies for any offence.

(Posters with very low post counts who promote something usually attract suspicion!)
    JMCB50 wrote:
    saw your post and decided that an alternative opinion was merited
    :confused: I didn't give any opinions about that restaurant - I've never been there!

I was there on Wednesday and it was still excellent (and packed too). I'd definitely recommend it even if it's a tad pricey. I think it's a good bit nicer than the Bilash Tandoori nearby.

What time were you there out of interest? I heard that they were closed Mon-Weds now, but maybe just Mon & Tues :confused: The funny thing was I know someone to make a booking recently and they said they were fully booked (on a Monday :rolleyes:)

The reason the place is always busy is the place is so small and frankly it would probably only take 50 covers to pack the place, not difficult for most restaurants on a Saturday night I would suggest.

What time were you there out of interest? I heard that they were closed Mon-Weds now, but maybe just Mon & Tues :confused:
    A 20:30 booking so it would be at peak busy times. Judging from your first post about the place, there seems to be a conspiracy not to have your custom :)
    The reason the place is always busy is the place is so small and frankly it would
    probably only take 50 covers to pack the place, not difficult for most restaurants on a Saturday night I would suggest.
    Yep, agreed especially in a place like Malahide where there's a fair bit of cash floating around. There's only one real bit of competition in the Indian field and the Jaipur there is very small too.

especially in a place like Malahide where there's a fair bit of cash floating around
    I'm going a bit off-topic but I'm friendly with a couple of lobster fishermen and they have been telling me that their normal market (i.e. Malahide restaurants) has practically dried up in the past couple of months!!

A 20:30 booking so it would be at peak busy times. Judging from your first post about the place, there seems to be a conspiracy not to have your custom :)
    LOL. I've been once, that was enough and half of that was curiosity to see if it was any use, the *word* was it was fantastic, but personally I would prefer Indie Spice.

No conspiracy about the bookings, I'm only repeating what I heard, in good faith may I add!

• Advertisement

I'm going a bit off-topic but I'm friendly with a couple of lobster fishermen and they have been telling me that their normal market (i.e. Malahide restaurants) has practically dried up in the past couple of months!!

lobster's out - fish fingers're in!

Advertisement