Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

chinese tonight

Options
  • 11-01-2008 9:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭

so going out for chinese resturant tonight. what the best food to get? my gf very understanding in terms of my diet. i was thinking,

starter- chicken and sweetcorn soup
    dinner- Chicken with mushroon and mixed veg
    no desert and water to drink.!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭mack1

BlueIsland wrote: »
    so going out for chinese resturant tonight. what the best food to get? my gf very understanding in terms of my diet. i was thinking,

starter- chicken and sweetcorn soup
    dinner- Chicken with mushroon and mixed veg
    no desert and water to drink.!!!

What are the terms of your diet?

Soup will be full of salt.
    If you have to eat in a chinese I would ditch the rice or noodles and try get something stir-fried with the sauce on the side or something.

Or you could just watch your portion size and let this be this weeks cheat!

Watch the portion size, you can never tell with hidden ingredients ...always
    eat two thirds of what you get and if your still hungry fill up on water and have a snack when you get home

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I hate throwing away food, so if I want a small portion I will pick quality over quantity. Prawns are expensive so you only get a few, and they are low in fat, almost none. Rice & noodles are loaded with calories.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭BlueIsland

I wouldnt eat the rice, chips or noodles for certain. limiting my carb intake for lat couple weeks. salt content doesnt bother me hugely. chinese soup predominantly hot water. I never though of the prawns. I am actually a big fan of them. i will get all the sauces on the side.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Sweetcorn is relatively carby so that might not be the best soup choice. Go for Chicken & Mushroom soup or something else.

• Advertisement

dudara wrote: »
    Sweetcorn is relatively carby so that might not be the best soup choice. Go for Chicken & Mushroom soup or something else.
    I might actually just ask for the soup without the sweetcorn!!!!i love the chicken soup. In terms of takeaways and depending on how you order it chinese would be a decent choice for a resturant compared to say indian. Would i be right in saying that??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

I might actually just ask for the soup without the sweetcorn!!!!

In fairness, unless you're going out for Chinese every night, the meal you posted originally, is fine. It's not gonna kill you to bend a few rules on a once off, and it's still pretty mindful of your diet.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Ah c'mon, it's only a bit of Chinese. I'd be more worried about heading out for a rake of pints after the meal than the meal itself.

As davyjose has already said, unless you're eating Chinese every night I wouldn't worry about one night out. And with that said, there's nothing inherently wrong with Chinese, in fact there's nothing inherently wrong with any food. It's all about the portion sizes and frequency of what you eat combined with the amount of regular exercise you take.

Why don't you just enjoy your meal tonight and go for a run or long walk tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I might actually just ask for the soup without the sweetcorn!!!!i love the chicken soup. In terms of takeaways and depending on how you order it chinese would be a decent choice for a resturant compared to say indian. Would i be right in saying that??

Indian food does tend to have more oil or cream in it. A good indian choice is tandoori chicken, not just low in fat, but really nice too.

Some places will include the rice or noodles with the meal, you could try asking for some veg instead.

i not drinking so that wont be a worry. I was just wondering what be best. i wil go out and enjoy it but just want to make decent choices.thanks for the help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭ali.c

i not drinking so that wont be a worry. I was just wondering what be best. i wil go out and enjoy it but just want to make decent choices.thanks for the help.

What you picked seems fine, i know some dishes are available with the sauce on the side so that might be something to consider?

I usually go out for dinner once a week or so but i tend to pick places where i know i can get a decent option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Ah yeah, but I was just saying, on a night out, going to the trouble of asking them to remove certain (quite healthy) ingredients from a meal because of a few carbs (I mean how much sweetcorn is really in it) seems a little excessive.
    And in my experience, that sort of attitude can actually be more harmful than good. If you don't cut loose once in a while and switch off from thinking about carbs and calories, then it can be very hard to maintain, because your in a constant state of self-deprivation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 CareBear99

Sweetcorn is about 75% water although it is about 19g CHO/ 100g! It's good for you though!:D

Advertisement