Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

A new Irish used-car site: CarList.ie. Feedback welcome.

Options
  • 11-01-2008 12:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭

Hi,

I have just launched a new Irish second-hand car website and would love to hear your feedback:

http://www.carlist.ie/
    http://www.carlist.ie/tour

The site is only a week old and already there are 400 cars for sale. I hope to have over 5,000 for sale by March.

There are lots of features planned, but I am really interested in hearing what features and improvements you would like to see on the site.

Thanks,
    Gavin
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I can hear the sound of the natives getting restless.:)

If you can get the business , well and good. It'll be hard against established ones like carzone, CBG etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭CarList.ie

Stekelly wrote: »
    If you can get the business , well and good. It'll be hard against established ones like carzone, CBG etc.

It sure will be hard but I have a few tricks up my sleeve. I'm hoping that the simplicity and utility of the site is apparent when compared to the other sites. I have had a good reaction from the dealers so far, and I'm confident that I can quickly grow the number of cars for sale.

As far as I am aware, none of the existing sites can do this:

Map of BMWs for sale in Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

It'll proberbly end up with 90% of the stock that carzone lists, I like the use of googlemaps.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭quickstitch.ie

nicer feel to it than carzone alright, whatever makes it easier for the dealer to upload will probably be the key... the customer will do plenty of searching for irish car sites on the web, try google ad words maybe too to get yourself up there... I like the whatvan.ie website if thats any help for influence... easy interface.. +1 for the google maps addition...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

One thing that Carzone and CBG are missing is the option to select a number of counties for search. (e.g 1 search for Cork, Kerry and Limerick) 1 thing I like about CBG is that it tells you how many of each car are for sale in the search dropdown.

If you could create a program for dealers on a gui that allows them to drag and drop photos and enter details into a set out excel/access type speadsheet save it and then upload I'd say they'd jump at it.

• Advertisement

the customer will do plenty of searching for irish car sites on the web, try google ad words maybe too to get yourself up there

I'll advertise on google once I have a few thousand cars for sale.
    ninty9er wrote: »
    One thing that Carzone and CBG are missing is the option to select a number of counties for search. (e.g 1 search for Cork, Kerry and Limerick) 1 thing I like about CBG is that it tells you how many of each car are for sale in the search dropdown.

Thanks for the suggestion, this is something I hope to add in a few months time.
    ninty9er wrote: »
    If you could create a program for dealers on a gui that allows them to drag and drop photos and enter details into a set out excel/access type speadsheet save it and then upload I'd say they'd jump at it.

I have a few tricks up my sleeve here too, they are just not quite ready yet.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I see a bubble near Ballybough with 13 cars for sale. CLicking it, I can only see 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

kbannon wrote: »
    I see a bubble near Ballybough with 13 cars for sale. CLicking it, I can only see 8.

The bubble is bursting.

It currently only shows the first eight matches in the bubble. I'll make improvements here soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭barryfitz

picture quality of the cars i have viewed is pretty poor, is this because of the sellers camera, or the resolution restrictions youve set.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭barryfitz

oh and best of luck with it

barryfitz wrote: »
    picture quality of the cars i have viewed is pretty poor, is this because of the sellers camera, or the resolution restrictions youve set.

This is due to the source of pictures unfortunately - they have already been scaled down. I need to do a little more work before allowing the sellers to upload their photos directly, a much higher resolution will be supported then.
    barryfitz wrote: »
    oh and best of luck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

CarList.ie wrote: »
    It sure will be hard but I have a few tricks up my sleeve. I'm hoping that the simplicity and utility of the site is apparent when compared to the other sites. I have had a good reaction from the dealers so far, and I'm confident that I can quickly grow the number of cars for sale.

As far as I am aware, none of the existing sites can do this:

Map of BMWs for sale in Dublin

You've just shown the car thieves where to rob the nicest cars ;)
    Best of luck with it, nice layout so far.
    And I like the logo :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Best of luck with it, my first impressions, hopefully of some help to you,

The bad...
    I'd for a start allow all dealers to put up cars for free for the next 6 months, I see you are offering 6 free dealer listings, this wont be enough, your site needs a couple of thousand cars to ever succeed, you will never get this amount by charging dealers to list when your site has not taken off. You should bite the bullet for 6 months and let everyone list for free, then as it becomes popular you can introduce payments for listings.
    The font looks abit big and could do with being reduced.
    You need to automate the login and setup process, providing just a mobile number gives the fly by night impression.
    Incremental.ie site having "coming soon" gives the fly by night impression.

The good
    Very nice idea on the google maps, and generally layed out well.

Suggestions
    I would not allow anyone to list a car without photos, no photo no ad.
    I would not allow any cars be listed without mileage and NCT (valid/expired) details listed for the car.
    I think you should allow private sellers to list cars.
    You could add a "cars added today" page where people could see anything new added withouth the need to trawl through the site.

Tipsy Mac wrote: »
    The bad...
    I'd for a start allow all dealers to put up cars for free for the next 6 months, I see you are offering 6 free dealer listings, this wont be enough, your site needs a couple of thousand cars to ever succeed, you will never get this amount by charging dealers to list when your site has not taken off. You should bite the bullet for 6 months and let everyone list for free, then as it becomes popular you can introduce payments for listings.
    The font looks abit big and could do with being reduced.
    You need to automate the login and setup process, providing just a mobile number gives the fly by night impression.
    Incremental.ie site having "coming soon" gives the fly by night impression.

Thanks for the feedback. I am actually giving the first 100 dealers a free 12 month subscription. The next 100 will get a free 6 month subscription. There are currently only 6 available slots, more will become available soon - this allows me to scale the site without having it crawl to a halt all of a sudden. I'll change the text to communicate this better soon.

The signup process is indeed automated, I can have a new dealer setup and listing their cars in 5 minutes. The mobile number is just a temporary point of contact for now, a dealer invite system will be activated soon.
    Tipsy Mac wrote: »
    The good
    Very nice idea on the google maps, and generally layed out well.

Suggestions
    I would not allow anyone to list a car without photos, no photo no ad.
    I would not allow any cars be listed without mileage and NCT (valid/expired) details listed for the car.
    I think you should allow private sellers to list cars.
    You could add a "cars added today" page where people could see anything new added withouth the need to trawl through the site.

Thanks for these suggestions.

Private sellers will be able to list car in the near future. Once I have a few thousand cars for sale, I'll open it up to private sellers too. I am going to give away a thousand free-for-life private seller accounts on a first come first server basis - I'll post more on the blog when these are available.

http://blog.carlist.ie/

The 'cars added today' is most certainly something I want to add soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,392 ✭✭✭fletch

I don't see any way to filter by Year? Maybe I am missing it?
    Also by engine size?
    Would also like to be able to filter by mileage.
    I also prefer to be able to manually enter values, rather than being restricted by a dropdown.

Like the "Your Starred Cars" and google maps although as mentioned before I would be apprehensive using it for fear of thieves targetting my car.

fletch wrote: »
    I don't see any way to filter by Year? Maybe I am missing it?
    Also by engine size?
    I also prefer to be able to manually enter values, rather than being restricted by a dropdown.

Like the "Your Starred Cars" and google maps although as mentioned before I would be apprehensive using it for fear of thieves targetting my car.

The year filter is currently not active, it will be soon though. In the mean time you can sort by year. There is currently no engine size filter nor mileage filter, I'll add these to my todo list :).

The google map will be is opt-in - you wont't have to give a location if you don't want to. There will also be the option of using an area marker - this wont be pinpoint.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

Just out of interest OP....you are going up against some established sites that have huge marketing budgets (very admirable BTW) and apart from a Google map I can't really see anything there to make you stand out from the crowd.

so what is your USP?

Not sure how they are added, but shouldn't there be an option of viewing the mileage in kms?
    The [X] Hide link to hide the panel towards the top should possibly have an option to restore it. I clicked it and was then left wondering what was on it - I'm sure I won't be the only one and given that your contact details are on it, maybe provide a restore option.
    In the address bar, if I replace the page number value in the querystring with text, I get an application error. Has SQL injection been catered for adequately?

Also, where are your company's details and data privacy policy as required by law?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Deliberator

Gavin, I wish you all the best with your website. You will not have to try very hard, in order to improve on the established sites, as I'm sure you have realized yourself. Your big task will be getting sellers and buyers to make use of your site.

I have always bought second hand, and I have been very dependent on the magazines and websites over the years. I have found though that most of these have been deteriorating considerably. The websites are poorly designed and the content is often out of date, or inaccurate. www.autotrader.ie must be the worst Irish site. It mixes UK car dealers in with the searches and the search engine has not been noticeably improved an a very long time.

I have been recently looking to the UK/NI for possible imports, so I've been using UK sites. www.autotrader.co.uk , by contrast, does not suffer in the same way as the Irish site, and the search engine I would consider to be the best currently available. I'd recommend that you play around on there for a bit, for some ideas. It does ask for a UK/NI postcode, but this is so they can give you the distance between you and the cars in the search results. I use the postcode of relatives living in the North, for convenience. You could use BT2 7AP, the postcode of the Europa Hotel, in Belfast or your own alternative...

I don't see any way to filter by Year?
    Also by engine size?

I have added a year option to the filter. The engine size and mileage options will follow soon.

I will consider adding support for this in the future - I am planning on adding an advanced filter option which would probably support this.

keefg wrote: »
    Just out of interest OP....you are going up against some established sites that have huge marketing budgets (very admirable BTW) and apart from a Google map I can't really see anything there to make you stand out from the crowd.

so what is your USP?

The current features that I believe are a big improvement on the competition are:

* Google Maps
    * Quick List - click the star icon beside a car to add it to your shortlist
    * Integrated filtering and results
    * Simplicity
    * No ads

http://www.carlist.ie/tour

There are lots of great features coming soon - one will be there later this evening which I'm sure you'll like :). I'll post here again when it is live.

Not sure how they are added, but shouldn't there be an option of viewing the mileage in kms?

Hover your mouse pointer over the mileage and you will see the kilometers.
    The [X] Hide link to hide the panel towards the top should possibly have an option to restore it. I clicked it and was then left wondering what was on it - I'm sure I won't be the only one and given that your contact details are on it, maybe provide a restore option.

The same information is in the sidebar on the right.
    In the address bar, if I replace the page number value in the querystring with text, I get an application error. Has SQL injection been catered for adequately?

SQL injection is indeed handled, the error handling could certainly be improved. I'll add this to my list.

Also, where are your company's details and data privacy policy as required by law?

I've added the links to the footer:

http://www.carlist.ie/about (I'll improve this page soon)
    http://www.carlist.ie/about/privacy
    http://www.carlist.ie/about/terms

Gavin, I wish you all the best with your website. You will not have to try very hard, in order to improve on the established sites, as I'm sure you have realized yourself. Your big task will be getting sellers and buyers to make use of your site.

Thanks, I agree the that the big tasks are to get the sellers and buyers onto the site. I have created a site stats page which outlines my progress:

http://www.carlist.ie/about/stats

My immediate focus is on getting dealers to list their cars on the site. Once I hit 5,000 cars in Dublin, I'll start a marketing push for buyers.
    I have always bought second hand, and I have been very dependent on the magazines and websites over the years. I have found though that most of these have been deteriorating considerably. The websites are poorly designed and the content is often out of date, or inaccurate. www.autotrader.ie must be the worst Irish site. It mixes UK car dealers in with the searches and the search engine has not been noticeably improved an a very long time.

I have been recently looking to the UK/NI for possible imports, so I've been using UK sites. www.autotrader.co.uk , by contrast, does not suffer in the same way as the Irish site, and the search engine I would consider to be the best currently available. I'd recommend that you play around on there for a bit, for some ideas. It does ask for a UK/NI postcode, but this is so they can give you the distance between you and the cars in the search results. I use the postcode of relatives living in the North, for convenience. You could use BT2 7AP, the postcode of the Europa Hotel, in Belfast or your own alternative...

Thanks for the info, I'll spend some time using autotrader.co.uk.

CarList.ie wrote: »
    There are lots of great features coming soon - one will be there later this evening which I'm sure you'll like :). I'll post here again when it is live.

I've just deployed a nice little feature for the result list:

When you hover over a car row you will now see a [+]. Click it to reveal some more details about the car. Click the [-] to hide these details.

The presentation of this will be refined over the next week.

Just looking at the dropdowns: if I select BMW I get the option for 3 series, 316, 318...
    What is the point in 3 series if it is going to be model specific?

Just looking at the dropdowns: if I select BMW I get the option for 3 series, 316, 318...
    What is the point in 3 series if it is going to be model specific?

That will be fixed later this week- just the models will be listed as you suggest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I do like the [+] thingy, you could even eliminate the need to navigate away from the search results altogether if only you could get the photos to work properly in conjunction with it

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement