Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

North Quays

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭somebaldyfela

Are both those buildings going or just the one they are knocking at the moment?

Just the front one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

Are both those buildings going or just the one they are knocking at the moment?
    The one at the back on the left hand side of the photos is being kept.
    At this rate it will be completed by the end of the week! Are there anymore buildings on the site left to be knocked or is that the final piece?

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Daisy 55

Does anyone know what it's being kept for?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

It's a protected building from 1904, there are no plans for the site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭decimal

This is a long shot... But I've been shooting a timelapse of the demolition since April, tonight my trusty canon 40d broke. The shutter is worn out from the amount of photos I've taken so far. I don't think the last building will be standing long and I can't afford to fork out for a second hand replacement, if anyone has a loan of a similar canon camera (that my intervalometer works with) to shoot the remaining footage, I'd forever be in debt to them.

https://youtu.be/Mw4LrZnuf3o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

Here are some more pictures from today 3-11-16.

Progress appears to be slow (IMO) - the main bulk of the building is comprised of 21 ( 7 x 3 ) silos , today the large machine is working on taking down what looks like number 6 of 21 ! .

Osk7631l.jpg

e6GdJXal.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

DSC02126_zpsas784wi9.jpg

DSC02125_zps3zzvvoub.jpg

DSC02124_zpsw9dxsvkm.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

What was that building used for? Was it storage?

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    What was that building used for? Was it storage?

The one currently getting knocked was a grain / feed silo.

Some More Pictures from Sunday 13-11-16

SrihrOJl.jpg

QX3SH3Sl.jpg

15Wcuavl.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,226 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Its fascinating that that machine can operate the long arm and with enough power to bring down concrete walls!

Picture from Thur 17th of Nov

SKzyKgIl.jpg

Looks like theres 6 of the original 21 silos left - Im guessing they will be down next week some time.

Will try get some pics from the city side over the weekend.

Excellent picture by Noel Brown on the Munster Express's Facebook Page

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭space2ground1

Will the remaining building be renovated in any way or will its architectural significance lead to it being a less than inspiring sight from the quay?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,002 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Will the remaining building be renovated in any way or will its architectural significance lead to it being a less than inspiring sight from the quay?

A coating of paint like a floury blaa would be rather apt I think :D

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭cookie.monster

it will probably be next years big project for waterford walls

Some Pics from this afternoon - (quality is not great as using digital zoom on a mobile)

RPEqy8Cl.jpg

RTIVhzzl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Deiseen

Not much left now at all. Will surely be completed by end of November? Also, from the pictures I can't tell if the waste has been fully removed from site. Has it? Or is just piled up at the other end?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Looking across at the work today, practically finished now!

Here's a picture from lunchtime today

dNwQpSel.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭iseegirls

And nearly approaching 7 years since the beginning of this thread :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,002 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Jambo wrote: »

dNwQpSel.jpg

It looks lonely and forlorn :(

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭cookie.monster

defo a project for next years waterford walls

Tender Published for Site Survey Works onsite
    QUAY SURVEY INVESTIGATIONS

Project Stage: Tenders Invited
    Area: Ireland, Waterford
    Promoter: Waterford City and County Council, City Hall, The Mall, Waterford, Co. Waterford, Ireland
    Tel: + XXXXXXXX

Profile: This notice consists of 2 separate calls for tenders:

Tender No. 1: WCCC 16/419 - Detailed Structural
    Investigation Contract at North Quays, Waterford City. The structural investigation is required to allow a detailed
    assessment of the existing North Berths and Frank Cassin Wharf pile supported structures to be carried out.
    Waterford's North Quays wharf structure comprise two distinct structural arrangements, notably: 1: a reinforced
    concrete (RC) braced frame; and 2: a steel encased RC pile structure with RC beam and one-way spanning slab.
    The total wharf structure plan area measures approximately 14,000m2. In addition, structural investigations will
    also be carried out at the proposed location of the pedestrian footbridge landing on the South Quays. The structural
    investigation contract includes vertical and horizontal coring, concrete break-outs, ferro-scan surveys and half cell
    potential & resistivity surveys of RC beams, slabs and pier supports. The Contractor shall act as PSCS for the duration
    of the Works;

Tender No. 2: WCC 16/410 - Detailed Survey of North Quays in Waterford City. Survey services of a
    topographical and underground services survey in Waterford City over a approximately 16.5 ha site on the North
    side of the River Suir and a 1 ha site on the south side of the river adjacent to the clock tower on the south quay. In
    addition several bridges and structures are to be surveyed with 3 no. quay/wharf structures requiring a point cloud
    survey. Cross sections through the River Suir and its banks are also required to inform flood risk assessment analysis
    Tender Details: Open Procedures. Reference Nos: 1: WCCC 16/419; 2: WCC 16/410

Dated: 24/11/2016
    Tender Deadline: 8.12.2016 (16:00 hrs) - Both Tenders

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Deiseen

Tender Published for Site Survey Works onsite
    QUAY SURVEY INVESTIGATIONSNS

Project Stage: Tenders Invited
    Area: Ireland, Waterford
    Promoter: Waterford City and County Council, City Hall, The Mall, Waterford, Co. Waterford, Ireland
    Tel: + XXXXXXXX

Profile: This notice consists of 2 separate calls for tenders:

Tender No. 1: WCCC 16/419 - Detailed Structural
    Investigation Contract at North Quays, Waterford City. The structural investigation is required to allow a detailed
    assessment of the existing North Berths and Frank Cassin Wharf pile supported structures to be carried out.
    Waterford's North Quays wharf structure comprise two distinct structural arrangements, notably: 1: a reinforced
    concrete (RC) braced frame; and 2: a steel encased RC pile structure with RC beam and one-way spanning slab.
    The total wharf structure plan area measures approximately 14,000m2. In addition, structural investigations will
    also be carried out at the proposed location of the pedestrian footbridge landing on the South Quays. The structural
    investigation contract includes vertical and horizontal coring, concrete break-outs, ferro-scan surveys and half cell
    potential & resistivity surveys of RC beams, slabs and pier supports. The Contractor shall act as PSCS for the duration
    of the Works;

Tender No. 2: WCC 16/410 - Detailed Survey of North Quays in Waterford City. Survey services of a
    topographical and underground services survey in Waterford City over a approximately 16.5 ha site on the North
    side of the River Suir and a 1 ha site on the south side of the river adjacent to the clock tower on the south quay. In
    addition several bridges and structures are to be surveyed with 3 no. quay/wharf structures requiring a point cloud
    survey. Cross sections through the River Suir and its banks are also required to inform flood risk assessment analysis
    Tender Details: Open Procedures. Reference Nos: 1: WCCC 16/419; 2: WCC 16/410

Dated: 24/11/2016
    Tender Deadline: 8.12.2016 (16:00 hrs) - Both Tenders
    This is great news. It's a necessary step towards development and signals that this demolition is not going to be the final story of the North Quays.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Good news and good post jambo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

dNwQpSel.jpg

Great shot, looks like science-fiction! Something "Ballardian".

ps can you link the full sized shot?

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

it will probably be next years big project for waterford walls

But I thought it was a protected building? We can't knock it down but we can put some gaudy, tacky "street art" on it.

Waterford walls has gotten out of control, looks like harlem in some areas of the city. I thought Ferrybank would have been safe at least. We already have the yoke down beside spar and that monstrosity on the Ard Ri. Don't be giving them ideas!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Today :
    DSC02322_zpshl8vfioq.jpg

DSC02323_zpspbqfh0pj.jpg

DSC02324_zpsgi50u0gm.jpg

DSC02326_zpslbnzjawk.jpg

DSC02327_zpsy21hkaik.jpg

DSC02328_zpsql030gvx.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭lassykk

Parachutes wrote: »
    But I thought it was a protected building? We can't knock it down but we can put some gaudy, tacky "street art" on it.

Waterford walls has gotten out of control, looks like harlem in some areas of the city. I thought Ferrybank would have been safe at least. We already have the yoke down beside spar and that monstrosity on the Ard Ri. Don't be giving them ideas!

Wow, you are the first person I've heard say anything like that about the Waterford walls!

Personally think they look amazing and make the city far more attractive

Each to their own I suppose

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭taytobreath

sorry if this has been asked already, are they knocking the last building and why are they leaving that standing

Advertisement