Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My diet.....good or bad???

Options
  • 09-01-2008 8:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭

Hi im just looking for some advice and help regarding my over all diet and achieving my goals.

I really want to reduce my body fat while adding some lean muscle to my physique.

My diet on an average day is........

6:30 Porridge with honey and milk.

7:30 A sandwich and cup of tea. Sandwich is brown bread with usually ham,chicken,turkey with chesse,lettuce,coleslaw and maybe tomato.

10:00 The same as above but I also have a packet of low fat crisps and a weight watcher biscuit with a cup of tea. Also a pot of natural yoghurt.

1:00 Might just have a cup of tea with a biscuit (WW) a piece of fruit and more natural yoghurt.

5-6:00 Dinner.Out of my hands really.What ever is made for me and to be honest I dont really mind cause I am usually really hungry.For example I had chips eggs and beans today.....but I usually have lean meat (steak,chicken)

Pre-Workout: I try to have some brown wholemeal soda bread and/or some fruit usually a banana or orange and pint or 2 of water.

Post-Workout: I have either a scrambled egg or else a tin of mackrel a pint of milk and some white bread because it is my understanding that the carbs in white bread are important after training.......maybe I have this wrong?
    I also have some lucozade sport after training aswell again for carbs.

I try to drink about 4 + litres of water daily but at minium I hit 2 litres a day.

Now Im just looking for you guys to help me and make significant changes to my diet that will help me achieve what Im aiming to achieve.

Any help greatly appreciated.Thanks a bunch guys.:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

In my very limited experience of diet and nutrition, some things I would notice are:

For breakfast - maybe put some linseeds, sesame and sunflower seeds on your porridge
    7:30 A sandwich and cup of tea. Sandwich is brown bread with usually ham,chicken,turkey with chesse,lettuce,coleslaw and maybe tomato.

10:00 The same as above but I also have a packet of low fat crisps and a weight watcher biscuit with a cup of tea. Also a pot of natural yoghurt.

1:00 Might just have a cup of tea with a biscuit (WW) a piece of fruit and more natural yoghurt.

5-6:00 Dinner.Out of my hands really.What ever is made for me and to be honest I dont really mind cause I am usually really hungry.For example I had chips eggs and beans today.....but I usually have lean meat (steak,chicken)

Re the rest of your day; that's alot of bread with processed meat. Also coleslaw is carrot and cabbage mixed in heart choking mayonnaise. I would cut the mayo out for a start but also reconsider this entirely as the first sandwich is only an hour after eating porridge. Are you really that hungry an hour later?

Another sandwich two hours later? This must be affecting your blood sugar levels. Why not consider nuts and yoghurt at this stage if you are hungry? Weight watcher biscuits and low fat crisps? Surely you could do without these as they have no or little nutritional value.

You eat nothing substantial from 10am - 5/6pm. Again that can't be good for your blood sugar.

Another thing - you don't seem to be taking in alot of vegetables in your diet and very little fruit (according to your diet plan anyway).

I'd replace the two sandwiches and snacks with a nutritionally more benefical snack around 10 - nuts, natural yoghurt and fruit or if you really want bread then go for mccambridges (assuming you are eating slice pan) with some salad and cheese or chicken or tuna/salmon but try to avoid processed meats.

That's my 2c worth but I'm sure someone more experienced will reply later with more informed feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

JMCD wrote:
    I really want to reduce my body fat while adding some lean muscle to my physique.
    Best for that (and overall wellbeing if you're training) IMO would be following something like The Zone Diet and taking a lot of pharmaceutical grade fish oil (tablespoon or more per day).

The book (Enter The Zone) I think is available for about €5 from play.com delivered.

There's also a forum on it here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭JMCD

Re the rest of your day; that's alot of bread with processed meat. Also coleslaw is carrot and cabbage mixed in heart choking mayonnaise. I would cut the mayo out for a start but also reconsider this entirely as the first sandwich is only an hour after eating porridge. Are you really that hungry an hour later?

Another sandwich two hours later? This must be affecting your blood sugar levels. Why not consider nuts and yoghurt at this stage if you are hungry? Weight watcher biscuits and low fat crisps? Surely you could do without these as they have no or little nutritional value.

You eat nothing substantial from 10am - 5/6pm. Again that can't be good for your blood sugar.

Another thing - you don't seem to be taking in alot of vegetables in your diet and very little fruit (according to your diet plan anyway).

I'd replace the two sandwiches and snacks with a nutritionally more benefical snack around 10 - nuts, natural yoghurt and fruit or if you really want bread then go for mccambridges (assuming you are eating slice pan) with some salad and cheese or chicken or tuna/salmon but try to avoid processed meats.

That's my 2c worth but I'm sure someone more experienced will reply later with more informed feedback.

Ok cheers thanks for your input, in regards to me being that hungry an hour later I do sometimes feel a little bit peckish but it think its more the fact that I work in the construction industry and do be thinking "stock up now for energy" if you can understand that?

No I dont really take much fruit and veg which is something I noticed myself......except for my dinner.

And the nuts and yoghurts dont really fill me up. As I said although im not using it as an exscuse I work in the construction industry were I work long hard physical hours in terrible weather and every day is almost like a workout and then I go the gym!

So I think that this might be one of the factors in me eating so much bread which is brown wholemeal because it fills me and gives me energy to get throught the day.

Cant really imagine getting through the day on nuts and yoghurts.

But thanks for the advice I really appreciate it.Thanks:)

Advertisement