Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

avocado under ripe or over ripe?

Options
  • 09-01-2008 7:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭

how do you tell if an avocado is under or over ripe.

i bought some today for the first time and when i sliced them the flesh was hard and the skin was hard to peel. i heard that they were a delicious and nutritious fruit but the ones i got are inedible as they are

are they yet to ripen or have they gone off

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

They haven't ripened yet. It's very difficult to get properly ripe avocados at the moment. Ripe ones should be slightly soft if you press them, yield when you cut them and be easy to peel. Underripe ones are hard, like bloody rocks! Overripe ones are very soft and often start going brown inside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭maradona10

thanks very much Faith, much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭NextSteps

And go for the darker-coloured, wrinkly ones if you can find them, rather than the green shiny ones. Much better flavour.

Oh, the best way to ripen avocados is to leave them next to a bunch of bananas for a few days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

Faith wrote: »
    Oh, the best way to ripen avocados is to leave them next to a bunch of bananas for a few days.
    same goes all fruit that needs ripening iirc?

• Advertisement

Yup, bananas release ethylene (i think!) when ripening, which causes other fruit nearby the ripen faster. It's also released from a damaged fruit, so if you have a crate of (say) apples and one is rotting at the bottom, it can accelerate the ripening of the rest of them (ultimately leading to them rotting faster).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

I see I'm not the only one who has made a mistake with their first avocado, OP! I've learnt now when is best to use them, however the only problem is to find a recipe for them - I don't much like them on their own. Perhaps guacamole...

Things to do with avocados:

Chop them up and use them in salads
    Chop them up and use them in sandwiches
    Squash them into a paste and use instead of mayonaise in a sandwich
    Squash them into paste and use as a dip
    Squash them into paste and spread on crackers/ryvita
    Half them, remove the seed and fill the holes with hummous/relish and eat
    Make guacamole

I've also seen smoothie recipes involving avocado, but I've never tried it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭maradona10

thanks for the replies, ill try some of those suggestions but im still waiting for them to ripen at mo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭daiixi

Slice a ripe avocado in half (lengthways), pour some balsamic vinegar into the the well left by the removed stone and eat with a spoon. Yum!

• Advertisement
Advertisement