Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vinegar = appetite supressant?

Options
  • 09-01-2008 7:11pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I know this is a bit faddy & there are no major shortcuts to weightloss but would anyone know anything about vinegar as an appetite supressant?

Found this online

http://docnews.diabetesjournals.org/cgi/content/full/3/1/7-a

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Interesting, in another thread somebody mentioned vinegar & GI.

I used to douse chips in vinegar, cant think of many other foods I would put it on, and drinking it doesnt sound great. Doesnt say what % vinegar. Think most is 5-6%, but apple may be less as it tend to come in big bottles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

Apple Cider Vinegar capsules are sold in Boots and most health food stores for some obnoxiously high price. They probably do have an appetite suppressant quality to them, but I wouldn't imagine it's particulalry strong.

g'em wrote: »
    Apple Cider Vinegar capsules are sold in Boots and most health food stores for some obnoxiously high price. They probably do have an appetite suppressant quality to them, but I wouldn't imagine it's particulalry strong.

Do they reckon it is something special about apple cider?, or would regular distilled clear malt vinegar do the same trick.

Think I saw a honey & apple cider drink on sale in holland & barret a few weeks ago.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Thanks guys - another gimmick knocked on the head.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭lizzyvera

When you're stressed you produce more stomach acid and your appetite does decrease but if this stuff is acidic enough to reduce your appetite, it'll be acidic enough to damage your stomach.
    Caffeine suppresses my appetite I find.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

Just drink water or eat some nuts (not peanuts), even caffeine as lizzyvera is better. The nuts have some fantastic oils in them that cause you to produce a hormone (CCK) which tells the brain to stop eating, i.e. relieves hunger.

Vinegar lowers your pH, so unless you eat a hellova lot of fruit and veg, you're going to have a net acidic load on your kidneys. Causing them to leech calcium from your bones to balance your pH.
    rubadub wrote:
    Do they reckon it is something special about apple cider?, or would regular distilled clear malt vinegar do the same trick.
    I asked a similar question (on the swizziness of cider vinegar)
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055197793

On my internet trawlings, I could find naught but wishy washy websites talking bs about the ancient egyptians (who were notoriously unhealthy!) and "natural benefits" of the junk.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,140 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

It has been shown that vingear can lower cholesterol, it also lowers the GI of a meal.
    Its not a appetite supressant (like the way green tea is). But is can increase how full or satisifed you feel after a meal.

http://www.functionalingredientsmag.com/fimag/articleDisplay.asp?strArticleId=1037&strSite=FFNSite

Here is another thread where it came up.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055209321

ApeXaviour, how much would you need to be taking to do damage, or how much fruit to offset, as I use a bit. But as I said previous in other thread, vinegar is fruit (or similar) distilled, might be ok.

I tried some vinegar the other day, mixed 30ml with some dried potato flakes, and ate with ketchup, tastes like chips doused with vinegar. I think it had some effect, hard to tell as I do not have much of an appetite these days for some reason. A real test would be after smoking certain herbs ;)

In some of the studies it is saying "acetic acid" vs placebos, rather than apple cider having something magical about it. Tesco have kelkin apple cider vinegar pretty cheap, cheaper than branded "chip" vinegar. I reckon the apple cider stuff might be more palatable if you were having it strong. All the vinegars I checked were 5%

When you're stressed you produce more stomach acid and your appetite does decrease but if this stuff is acidic enough to reduce your appetite, it'll be acidic enough to damage your stomach.
    Caffeine suppresses my appetite I find.
    Your stomach acid is extremely strong itself, it is full on hydrochloric acid. If you do not mind the vinegar taste it would be easy enough to ingest it over the course of a day, and shouldnt upset your stomach. I doubt it would damage it, but drinking it neat could be like taking an emetic (make you vomit).

Caffeine is a stimulant so should supress the appetite as your body figures it has enough energy, just like e-heads or speed users get skinny

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Sugar Drunk

the ones in boots are the New Nordic apple cider tablets. I have used before and they do work to an extent but I would imagine that this is more to do with the other ingredients and not the cider vinegar. The tablets contain dandelion which is a natural diuretic so these tablets make you pee more and you retain less water making you think you have lost weight. It also contains artichoke which acts as a tonic on the liver so it will help you detox a bit.
    The main thing I use cider vinegar for is arthritic animals as its great for combatting calcification of joints for things like ringbone

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭lizzyvera

It's a different type of acid so your buffering system doesn't work on it as well as it works on HCl.
    Your appetite decreses when you eat less anyway, after two weeks of will power, eating less will come naturally.

• Advertisement
Advertisement