Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Drink

Options
  • 08-01-2008 1:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have started being a bit more healthy again in 2008 (let it slip in nov and dec). I only drink water and green tea during the week. My partner asked me a question about drinks and I was not sure of teh answer. basically I have been trying to get him more healthy too. he drinks water during the day but goes to the shop to get a roll at lunch and buys a drink and he asked me, apart from water whats the healthiest option for him to get.

I thought about fruit juice but apart from tropicana who do not do small drinks, they are all made from concentrate so I figured thats no good?

I know theres those H2) and water with flavour variants, coke zero etc but as they are all full of synthetic ingredients like aspartame and zlytol and are a source of phenylananine I figured they are not much good either (allergic to aspartame and sorbitol and zylitol myself).

So, as you guys know a hell of a lot more about this that I do please can you help? Whats the best non water drink for him to be drinking?

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Skim milk maybe, but still a fair amount of calories if that matters. In winter I sometimes have hot water with honey and lemon. Just lemon in water is OK too.

Fruit juices are really just sugar, not much better than soft drinks, better eating fresh fruit.
    do not do small drinks,
    Nothing to stop bringing a bottle to work, or flask with hot honey/lemon water.

By the way, I would be more concerned about what is in his roll!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

Well there's only 3 options when you go to a shop. Water, milk or a sweet drink. Since sugar seems to be out (7up, club orange etc.), and artificial sweeteners, then you're only really left with water and milk.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Sugar Drunk

What about the sugar free drinks coke zero, H20 and those are they as bad as I think or are they better than a sugary drink

as for the roll - Im working on it ....baby steps! Im eating cheese and ryvita so I am trying to convert him!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,234 Mod ✭✭✭✭Edwardius

Hmmm, try looking at those carpe diem drinks. They seem to be a bit of an acquired taste mind. I vaguely remember them being fairly acceptable on the sugar front but you'll want to check that yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Sugar Drunk

excellent idea thanks had not thought of that. Had those myself before and they are mostly herbs and water def a better option than a soft drink!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Innocent do a flavoured water, which might be a suitable alternative. They only use fresh fruit, so at least there's no additives and preservatives. There's still sugar though.

There's detail on it here.

Advertisement