Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fish for people who dont like fish ?

Options
  • 08-01-2008 2:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭

I go through on average at least one steak and or chicken breast a day and , well , i love it, but I would just love the option of having something different, problem is i cant stand fish, never been able to eat but i REALLY want to like it .... its been a few years since i tried it but im willing to give it a go again.

Can any of my fellow boardsies recommend a non-fishy fish (if that makes sense) and tell me a few cooking suggestions.

I dont really remember what fish i have had but i know i cant stand tuna or salmon, I had BBQ'ed barracuda in Thailand once and i liked it but i dont think that easily available.

Tried fish out of the chipper once, think it was battered cod but im not sure and that was passable.

HELP !!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I'm a fan of fish, but fresh tuna steaks are very meaty. Not fishy at all. Actaully they are delicious! You can have them rare, so I would pop them on a BBQ or a hot griddle. The charring seems to make them even more meatilicious.

Most fish (non oily) as long as it is fresh is not that fishy.
    I find the oily fishes are more obviously fishy... (how many more times can I say 'fishy' in a paragraph?!)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Try white fish, any types, cod, plaice, haddock etc. I also am not fond of "fishy" fish, like mackerel, salmon, tuna. Though I did eat tuna doused with curry sauce which masked the fishiness.

I still do eat the odd fresh battered cod, it is a cheat but I love them and probably a bit better what I would get otherwise, i.e. chips.

I get frozen cod fillets in lidl, about €8-10 per kilo for all white fish there. Just steam/bake/fry/poach/grill it.

Donegal catch do a wholegrain crumb white fish now, still not the most healthy option but best of a bad bunch in the frozen breaded section.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 lil'm

I had Barramundi fillets last night.....delicious....a lovely delicate white fish with hardly any 'fishy taste'... really nice .I got it in Superquinn

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

Have you tried sea bass?

It is absolutely delicious.
    Split and fried with a bit of sea salt, (No too much oil)

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭mack1

Swordfish - tastes like chicken!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Caveat

mack1 wrote: »
    Swordfish - tastes like chicken!

:confused: ...not any swordfish I've had?!?!

Generally, the OP won't go wrong with white fish - Cod, Haddock and Whiting in particular.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Sugar Drunk

Hi Op, I dont like fish either I can only eat fish fingers or any fish with bread crumb covering

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,234 Mod ✭✭✭✭Edwardius

olaola wrote: »
    I'm a fan of fish, but fresh tuna steaks are very meaty.

Where do you get these?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

It's expensive but turbout is the steak of fish. Very meaty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Miley

Not a fish eater but find monkfish very nice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭sharkDawg

Try sea bass or whiting, both readily available and reasonably priced

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Dead Ed wrote: »
    Where do you get these?

Superquinn/Tesco/Dunnes will have them. Depends on the day I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

I hate fish myself, but I've always liked plaice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭cance

I hate fish myself, but I've always liked plaice.

Ha!

Love all fish but hate plaice, just goes to show.

Advertisement