Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite Ever Episode

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

That was a brilliant episode. A perfect example of the quality of the writing in DS9.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

TOS:
    "City on the edge of Forever"
    "Mirror Mirror"
    The one with the sentient rock in the mines "No Kill I"

TNG:
    Cause and Effect
    Disaster
    The Game wasn't bad (mmm, Ashley Judd) despite its overkill on the moral overtones in relation to addiction
    The Lower Decks

ENT:
    Brent Spiner's arc
    Any screen grabs of Jolene Blalock or Hoshi will do :)

Voy:
    Year of Hell I / II
    The ones with Brad Dourif, great actor.

DS9:
    The one with they find a crashed Jem'Hadar ship which they want to keep, but get barricaded in by more Jem'Hadar, who only want to save their "God". Shows the futility of war etc yadda yadda. Edit: Just looked it up..."The Ship".
    As mentioned elsewhere, "The Visitor"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

AFAICR it was a sister ship to the Defiant and the young Star Fleet officers had gone a bit rogue.

EDIT: The Ep is called "Valiant", season 6

No, that wasn't it. Just did a Google search for 'DS9 sister station' and found the one I was talking about - 'Empok Nor', from season 5.

http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Empok_Nor_%28episode%29

"Scavenging an abandoned Cardassian space station identical to DS9 for equipment, O'Brien's team discovers that the station may not be completely abandoned."

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

All this is making me want to watch them all again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Goodshape wrote: »
    No, that wasn't it. Just did a Google search for 'DS9 sister station' and found the one I was talking about - 'Empok Nor', from season 5.

"Scavenging an abandoned Cardassian space station identical to DS9 for equipment, O'Brien's team discovers that the station may not be completely abandoned."

D'oh!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 CidonaBoy

Threshold. ;)

I really liked "The Best Of Both Worlds".

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Probably In Purgatory's Shadow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Enterprise C episode with parallel universe in TNG. I like the whole cloning part of the episode with the travellers although the portrayal of the Irish is muck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭Niska

Quite a few to choose from, but "In The Pale Moonlight" is my personal favourite.

"It's a FAAAAAKE!"
    "So... I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again, I would. Garak was right about one thing, a guilty conscience is a small price to pay for the safety of the Alpha Quadrant. So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it... Computer, erase that entire personal log."

Other honourbales:

TOS
    The City On The Edge of Forever
    For the World Is Hollow And i Have Touched The Sky
    The Enemy Within
    Balance of Terror

TNG
    Inner Light (favourite TNG ep)
    Darmok
    Chain of Command
    The Wounded
    Yesterday's Enterprise
    All Good Things

DS9
    The Visitor (watched it tonight on Virgin. Bloody Brilliant)
    Duet
    Necessary Evil
    Blood Oath
    The Ship
    Trials and Tribble-ations
    Improbable Cause / The Die is Cast
    many more...

No Voyager or Enterprise episodes stick out :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

There was an episode of DS9 that took place on a 'sister station' to DS9 and featured almost exclusively unknown characters (cadets or lower ranking starfleet members iirc). It had a fairly unique and really cool style to it.

Anyone remember the title?

It was great, as far as I remember.

I think you may be mixing up two different episodes here. Yeah there was one on Empok Nor and it was a pretty good episode but it didn't involve that many other Starfleet people IIRC.

There was an episode of TNG when they concentrated on unknowns (ensigns and so on) who are on the ship but never really seen. The senior officers were doing a staff review or something. I think it was called 'Below Decks'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

The TNG episode was called 'Lower Decks' :) ...not the episode I'm thinking of at all.

I'm fairly certain that Empok Nor is the episode I'm thinking of. An engineering crew (these guys... best picture I could find) running around a dark, unpowered DS9 style space station trying not to get killed (by Garak I think. He had gone a bit mental iirc).

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Niska wrote: »
    No Voyager or Enterprise episodes stick out :(
    Indeed, although there are a couple of pretty good episodes - Scorpion Part One, Hope and Fear, Course Oblivion etc. I quite liked the pilot too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭Ro: maaan!

Empok Nor was indeed that episode. Good one too. Also liked The Magnificent Ferengi which was also set on Empok Nor.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

kevmy wrote: »
    I think you may be mixing up two different episodes here. Yeah there was one on Empok Nor and it was a pretty good episode but it didn't involve that many other Starfleet people IIRC.
    The other characters that went to Empok Nor with O'Brien, Garak and Rom were the only ones. One of two of them were ensigns, but no cadets.

The one with the cadets on it was when a group of cadets had a Defiant class ship, and went to try and destroy a highly advanced Dominion ship...it didnt end well :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,989 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Niska wrote: »
    Quite a few to choose from, but "In The Pale Moonlight" is my personal favourite.

"It's a FAAAAAKE!"

Yeah I reckon this is probably my favourite as well followed closely by The Visitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭oneillMan999

anyone with Q" in it,,,,,wasnt he such an enjoyable character to watch, and a brilliant actor to boot.
    scenes with him and picard are legendary!!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭boogle

LOVE the two-parter where Picard is made into a Borg. Also hilarious was the episode with the planet where women were the dominant sex and Riker had to dress up in this sexy outfit... Gold.

Also, is it wrong that I found Data (not Brent without make-up) very attractive as a young wan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

I'm currently in the middle of watching all Deep Space Nine episodes, not having seen most of them when they were originally on television.

I am currently on the Season 4 dvd boxset and I came to episode 2 of Season 4 - The Visitor - and thought "Oh great, a story about Jake Sisko". I was getting ready to completely skip it as I thought it would be boring but decided in the end of watch it. And I couldn't have been more wrong.

I'm so glad I didn't skip it. It is easily one of the best episodes of any TV series I have ever seen. I have favourite episodes of other shows - Memoria in Season 3 of Smallville being one that jumps to mind. But I think this even surpasses it. It is easily the best Star Trek episode I have ever seen to date.

Make sure you watch it.

Also, from Enteprise the episodes:

Dear Doctor
    Cogenitor

I've been reading online and it seems that The Visitor from Season 4 of DS9 is one of the most popular episodes of any Star Trek series.

I have to say I can't disagree. I haven't seen every episode of every Star Trek series, but I will be amazed if I ever see anything that is better than The Visitor, in any TV series. It is quite simply the most amazing episode of a TV programme I have ever seen. What's better is that you don't have to be a Star Trek fan to enjoy it.

It is incredibly moving and perfectly executed. I came close to skipping over the entire episode when I read the summary that it was about Jake Sisko. At that point, I didn't know it was one of the most popular DS9 episodes. But I'm so glad I didn't skip over it. It was one of those shows where I could feel my eyes welling up and huge lump in my throat. I'm just glad no-one seen me when I was watching it, they'd have wondered what was wrong with me ;)

Seriously, make sure you see this episode. Even just thinking back about it, I can feel myself getting emotional. Simply perfect television.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

In the Pale Moonlight is so far ahead of every other episode it seems futile to mention any others. but I shall.

TNG:

The Measure of a Man
    Q Who
    Yesterdays Enterprise
    The Best of Both Worlds
    Cause and Effect
    The Inner Light
    Chain of Command
    Tapestry
    Parallels

DS9:

Captive Pursuit
    Duet
    Whispers
    The Wire
    Crossover
    the Jem'Hadar
    The Search
    Civil Defense
    Defiant
    Improbable Cause
    The Die Is Cast
    The Way of the Warrior
    The Visitor
    To the Death
    Broken Link
    Apocalyspe Rising
    The Ship
    Trials And Tribble-ations
    In Purgatorys Shadow
    By Infernos Light
    Call to Arms
    A Time to Stand
    Rocks and Shoals
    Behind the Lines
    Favour the Bold
    Sacrifice of Angels
    The Magnificent Ferengi
    Waltz
    Far Beyond the Stars
    Inquisition
    In the Pale Moonlight
    Tears of the Prophets
    The Siege of AR-558
    Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges
    The Changing Face of Evil
    Tacking into the Wind
    The Dogs of War
    What you Leave Behind

yeah...I like DS9 a lot.

Voyager:

Caretaker
    Eye of the Needle
    Deadlock
    Basics
    Future's End
    Worst Case Scenario
    Scorpion
    Year of Hell
    Prey
    The Killing Game
    Drone
    In the Flesh
    Timeless
    Dark Frontier
    Equinox
    Dragons Teeth
    Blink Of An Eye
    Unimatrix Zero
    Shattered
    Endgame

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

Mine would be the Voyager episode Counterpoint where Janeway finds herself falling for the alien inspector who keeps searching the ship as it travels through their space. It's such a smart storyline and so brilliantly executed - it falls into that same category of Star Trek episodes that just blows me away.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

I've been reading online and it seems that The Visitor from Season 4 of DS9 is one of the most popular episodes of any Star Trek series.

I have to say I can't disagree. I haven't seen every episode of every Star Trek series, but I will be amazed if I ever see anything that is better than The Visitor, in any TV series. It is quite simply the most amazing episode of a TV programme I have ever seen. What's better is that you don't have to be a Star Trek fan to enjoy it.

It is incredibly moving and perfectly executed. I came close to skipping over the entire episode when I read the summary that it was about Jake Sisko. At that point, I didn't know it was one of the most popular DS9 episodes. But I'm so glad I didn't skip over it. It was one of those shows where I could feel my eyes welling up and huge lump in my throat. I'm just glad no-one seen me when I was watching it, they'd have wondered what was wrong with me ;)

Seriously, make sure you see this episode. Even just thinking back about it, I can feel myself getting emotional. Simply perfect television.

Right on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭karlr42

+1 on The Visitor- excellent, excellent televison from beginning to end.

I have a soft spot for TNG: Half a Life, I think because I realised for the first time watching it, that Star Trek could explore sensitive topics (euthanasia in this case) in such a way. I know that that's one of the basic appeals of Trek, but having only seen a handful of TNG episodes, it was this one that demonstrated that appeal to me. Of course, it loses point for having Lwaxana Troi :P Although she behaves herself in this episode and is actually bearable!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,249 ✭✭✭✭noodler

The Expanse

I actually loved season 3 of ENT. So the way that set things up was cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DenMan

The Defector because of the implications of the story, the greater good and moving forward. The Visitor because of the beauty of the story, the acting performances and broader reaches of the story. So many more I can think of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

Moneymaker you forgot Hard Time one of my fav DS9 eps.

The one where O Brien has 20 years of memories of being in prison implanted in his head

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

Actually, talking about O'Brien - I really liked that DS9 episode where he returns from some world to find that everyone is acting really weird around him and he's convinced there's some sort of conspiracy going on against him. As he tries to find out what it is everyone really does turn against him and the station's crew chase him down as he runs away.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

"All Good Things" the TNG series 7 finale from 1994.

Quality improved after series 3 IMHO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Polarity

For me it was TNG: Preemptive Strike. That's gotta be one of the most emotionally charged episodes I've ever seen.

Stangely enough, although I think the overall quality of DS9 was better, TNG had more "totally amazing" episodes. It just had a lot of fairly poor ones as well.

Honourable mention goes to ENT: These are the Voyages - it really gives one a sense of the scope of Star Trek as one continuing story; I know it changed my perception of all the shows since.

Advertisement