Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much coinage will banks accept?

Options
  • 04-01-2008 4:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭

For reasons that I won't go into, I have close to €2000 in coins, counted into bags.
    Will the bank accept all this at once, or will I have to make to trips?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭Joeface

I believe they have too as it is legal tender

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

thats some haul of coins!!!
    why wouldnt they....if your a customes of theirs there should be no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Robbing telephone boxes in the cold weather are we?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,182 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Pighead knows the answer the answer to this question but refuses to tell you until you go into the reasons why you have 2 grand worth of coins. You scratch Pigheads back he'll scratch yours. Are you a roadside tramp perchance?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,067 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

They might appreciate you letting them know in advance of when you are turning up with that much coinage though.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 16,186 ✭✭✭✭Maple

they'll accept it.

how on earth do you have that much in coins tho? robbing Trocaire boxes?

I read this as 'How much cabbage will banks accept?'

*shakes head*

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I have close to €2000 in coins, counted into bags.
    Unfortunately they'll only accept about 20 Euro in coins. The rest I suggest you just give away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

I work in the bank and they will take all the coin in one go provided its full bags, with no mixed coins in any bag, and the right amount in each bag. If your in a large town, no need to ring as they will be well used to this amount of coin, if a smaller branch, give them a buzz and let them know your on your way.

Are you an arcade game vending machine collector, if so half that money is mine!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,975 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

For reasons that I won't go into, I have close to €2000 in coins, counted into bags.
    Will the bank accept all this at once, or will I have to make to trips?

Would you be a church "minister", by any chance, hoping to have some money "resting" in your account, courtesy of some generous parishioners?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Brilliant, thank you gogo.

Biko, go to the Dublin forum

biko wrote: »
    Unfortunately they'll only accept about 20 Euro in coins. The rest I suggest you just give away.

provided you have an account, they have to accept any amount you have, its a pain in the ass when someone comes in with coin - has to be weighed and counted etc, but it has to be accepted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,001 ✭✭✭Wossack

surely central bank would have to take it?

what the heck does that weigh btw?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Einstein

not that surprising really!

mate of mine has one of those giant sized heineken bottles that him and his buuuurd throw all their change into...

counted out €1500 with him one night...that was only half the bottle!

Wossack wrote: »
    what the heck does that weigh btw?
    Lots:( It's a pain to lift.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I gave over €100 in coins to the bank a few years ago and they didn't refuse it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Lola123

where does one get those lil money bags? Me thinks I'll deposit the contents of my piggybank into the bank! ;)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Lola123 wrote: »
    where does one get those lil money bags? Me thinks I'll deposit the contents of my piggybank into the bank! ;)

You should be able to get them in the bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

gogo wrote: »
    I work in the bank and they will take all the coin in one go provided its full bags, with no mixed coins in any bag, and the right amount in each bag. If your in a large town, no need to ring as they will be well used to this amount of coin, if a smaller branch, give them a buzz and let them know your on your way.

Are you an arcade game vending machine collector, if so half that money is mine!

Yep, this is the way to do it...

Also, don't go in 5 mins before the close or on a friday...that will be plain mean and you get a frosty reception from the cashier. Best to go in the morning time...

Yep, this is the way to do it...

Also, don't go in 5 mins before the close or on a friday...that will be plain mean and you get a frosty reception from the cashier. Best to go in the morning time...

Frosty...i have perfected the icy maiden stare, so cool you'd swear you asked me to trasfer a kilo of cocaine out of the country for you not 20 euros to another account.

there is a severe problem of people coming into banks at five to four with hugh lodgements. Really lously on cashiers

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

2 grand eh?I never knew we had a roma begger as a boards moderator..equal oppurtunities for all!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭colm_c

Banks don't have a problem accepting the coins however if you don't have an account they might charge you for the privilege of changing it into notes. They tend to waive the charge if you lodge it to your bank account.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

arer you that guy who goes into leisureplex with a big sack with a dollar sign on it and a baseball bat?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I gave over €100 in coins to the bank a few years ago and they didn't refuse it.

I know mate, just stirring the pot :D

I purposely held off from going today because of that.

Tell me, what is the least busy time of the day in banks? I donb't want to have to wait in line with a big sack on my back.

I know mate, just stirring the pot :D

What pot? What are you on about? What's going on? Are those my feet? Or is it a tracker mortgage??????:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

totally depends on the bank, but middle hours would be good so like 11am would beat the morning rush and the lunch rush and 3pm would beat the closing and lunch rush.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,210 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Degsy wrote: »
    2 grand eh?I never knew we had a roma begger as a boards moderator..equal oppurtunities for all!
    I was getting worried that no one had copped on to that after reading page one, looked like they were even after fooling the ah crew

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I'm fairly sure the if you go into the central bank they will change it for you.

they will change old pre-euro money though
    The limits seem to be €635 per transaction

http://www.centralbank.ie
    http://www.centralbank.ie/frame_main.asp?pg=ncn_comm.asp&nv=ncn_nav.asp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

The most amount of coins I've ever handed in was €910. That was lodged to an account though, not sure if they'll give you back notes for that amount.

Advertisement