Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Water and tea question

Options
  • 04-01-2008 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭

I must be a bit of a freak as I LOVE green tea and herbal tea. Before christmas I noticed that my skin was v v dry and I figured it was a combination of moving to a new house that was warmer and more dry (old place had a damp problem), and my not drinking enough water.
    So im back at work and working on drinking a lot more water. Over the last week or I have been drinking about a litre a day and also drinking a lot of tea - green tea, hibiscus tea and various herbal teas.

Problem is I am having to pee all the time. How long will it take (if ever :eek:) before my body starts using the excess water rather than just pouring it through me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭mack1

1L of water a day is not very much.
    You should get used to it soon enough.

Some people suggest adding a tiny bit of salt to it, not enough so u can taste it, just a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

If you are drinking enough, you are always going to pee a lot. There is no magic amount where you stop peeing in the exciting part of Dr Who.

The water in tea does count, particularly if you don't make it so strong it can do it's own lifting. However, plain water is better. I assume 1 litre a day was just the plain water and didn't count the tea?

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Sugar Drunk

Hi,

I am drinking 0.5-1litre of water a day and about 4 cups of tea (green tea, hibiscus tea ). Its prob not loads to everyone else but its lots to me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

I drink 3-4 litres of liquid a day. It might seem a lot to some people but I sweat a lot through exercising and I'm pretty careful to keep an eye on electrolytes as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Sugar Drunk

I drink 3-4 litres of liquid a day. It might seem a lot to some people but I sweat a lot through exercising and I'm pretty careful to keep an eye on electrolytes as well.

Wow a litre does not seem so much now! Have to say after drinking more water and tea and taking fish oils for the last 2 weeks the difference in my skin is incredible. before christmas it was so dry and flaky and now its nearly oily I dont think I need the dry skin creams anymore!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭okgirl

I was just about to start a thread about this until I nioticed this one so I may hijack it slightly but it will help hopefully. I am drinking about 2-3 litre of warm water with aslice of lemon a day plu about 3 green teas. I really wnat to detox and my skin could do woith the hydration. My question is the peeing one too. I have been to the loo about 7 times today but I can't stop drinking the water. I love it. Only if it is pre boiled, warm and a slice of lemon.( which I know is not great for your teeth) But can too much water do you any harm?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

2-3L per day is fine, I love drinking that much too. Drinking any less leaves me tired and kind of ploopy actually!! As you say the lemon may not be brilliant for your teeth, so perhaps try and keep that to a minimum but otherwise the water is all good.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭samsamson

I drink a glass of water every morning with some lemon juice squeezed in, under instruction from an acupuncturist I saw once who said that it would help clear out my liver first thing in the morning.

I know it must be terrible for my teeth though. Does green tea offer any cleansing benefits for the liver? I may switch the lemon water for green tea if so.

Edit: I take Chlorella and Milk Thistle during the day to really help the liver out, so the lemon water isn't my main cleansing routine, but it would be nice to have a change from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭okgirl

http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/green-tea-000255.htm

Try thi link. there is a reference to Green Tea and liver in it. but be warned I also read that too much green tea can cause liver damage. A cup in the morning would be fine I presume.

Too much water can cause problems often refered to as water intoxication of hypoatremia (sp?). The problem is not so much the actual water but the resultant dilution of electrolytes such as sodium. It's rare with most cases reported for babies who are given water or formula which has been diluted too much and in athletes. Actually it's most common (afaik) in women marathon runners. They guzzle water during the race to replace the fluids lost through sweat, but because they are concerned with their weight they don't include carbs and electrolytes in their drink resulting in hypoatremia.I It's unlikely to be a problem for a normal person though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭prodigal_son

The problem is, when the governments and the EU first started recommending amounts they were misinterpreted.

When they reccomend water intake, it includes all water from fruit/veg/food/water/tea... every single way you could imagine.

People took the figure and directly converted it to glasses of water, and came out with 8 x 8 half pint glasses a day, or 4 pints of water..

In reality, you get most of the water you need in a day from your food, unless you have a strange diet. 4 cups of tea should be enough..

Drinking 2 litre of water extra a day, does nothing for you, unless you are replacing lost water due to exercise.

There is a health benifit to drinking a lot of water, but it only affects some diseases and it only helps people prone to them diseases, it wont help the rest of us avoid them.

By rule of thumb, I drink when im thirsty, as that is the first sign of de-hydration.

I drink when im thirsty, as that is the first sign of de-hydration.

This is not strictly true. For exmple it is well known that as we age our perception of thirst decreases. Making sure elderly people drink enough is a real issue.

Advertisement