Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How Do You Scam a Scammer ?

Options
  • 03-01-2008 6:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this is the right thread, please move it if it is.

My friend is in contact with this chinese girl, who says she works for and export company and wants too sell Tv's and laptops.

Now in my mind its clearly a scam as they are selling 60" plasmas for like 400 euro and want payment over western union.

Anyways he is in contact with this girl over msn and email.

He hasn't made any payment to them or he won't but just wondering anyone know a way of catching them out ?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Give them money, seriously. Ah go on...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Offer them a 70" TV for 300e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Tell them that the Western Union office has new security measures to avoid scams, and that they need to send €25 in order to prove they are legitimate, and not a scammer.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Stuff is cheap in China. She's probably triple-double scamming you by not actually scamming at all. P&P will come to just under two thousand dollars though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

Ha funnily enough she could be on the level. Almost certainly not, but its possible. Thats not far off the price it costs to manufacture those yokes in China, and a lot of factories there run for the western bosses by day and the Chinese bosses by night. Still p&p kills the deal in any case.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

Ha funnily enough she could be on the level. Almost certainly not, but its possible. Thats not far off the price it costs to manufacture those yokes in China, and a lot of factories there run for the western bosses by day and the Chinese bosses by night. Still p&p kills the deal in any case.
    A 60" plasma for 400 euro plus 200 P&P, I wouldn't complain about that too much!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

If it sounds to good to be true it generally is, of course if your greedy then give them money and good luck to you :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭boss^is^dead

http://www.419eater.com/

haha used to love that site! some of the **** he gets the scammers to do is incredible! Get you mate to follow suit....could get some interesting pics out of her...ahem....of pots and stuff of course ..:P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭donaghs

I know people in Ireland who've handed over money to Irish acquantances of friends of friends in exchange "for no questions asked" expensive products.

The products never materialised and the seller just stopped answering their phone. When relatively small amounts of money are involved its hard for the Gardai to get interested. Basically I wouldn't even consider this Chinese offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

get him to say he wants to use escrow rather then western union

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Nah when they ask you to send money via WU then just give them any old random 10 digit number as the transfer number. If nothing else you get a kick from them havig to go to an office only to be refused. Then "correct" the number by one digit, say it was WU fault and ask them to try again and see how many times you can get them to make a trip to an agent by coming up with different scenarios.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Terrlock

here take a look at this website and decide if its a scam or not

http://www.ibbbc.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

I;ve been getting a ****load of offers like that over myspace.

Almost the same deal and all.

Accounts are usually swiftly deleted.

I wouldnt risk it

well I know its a scam....just looking for ways to maybe slow them down...annoy them a bit

was thinking of tracking her ip but then again what can I get outta that....maybe report too the chinese authorities or something ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

Dear friend:
    Because using the payment of PAYPAL lasts for a long time, the products on on our webs were cheated to take is excessive.A time just in the adjustment, during the period of adjustment temporary not accept the payment of PAYPAL.
    Thanks for your cooperation!

yeah cos that sounds legit :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Dear friend:
    Because using the payment of PAYPAL lasts for a long time, the products on on our webs were cheated to take is excessive.A time just in the adjustment, during the period of adjustment temporary not accept the payment of PAYPAL.

yeah cos that sounds legit :P

Translation.

We don't want no paper trail! Send us the cash now and the bunny lives.

well they operate from ibbbc@hotmail.com

So I'm just going to see how much of their time I can waste I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

1. Send the money over to the Western Union.
    2. Quickly fly to China and get a job in that branch of the Western Union.
    3. When they scammer comes in, give them the money. In the meantime make a copy of their passport.
    4. Ask scammer out on a date.
    5. Wine and dine the scammer until you get a chance to give them the herpes.
    6. Withdraw all the money from their account.
    7. Fly home.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

dublindude wrote: »
    1. Send the money over to the Western Union.
    2. Quickly fly to China and get a job in that branch of the Western Union.
    3. When they scammer comes in, give them the money. In the meantime make a copy of their passport.
    4. Ask scammer out on a date.
    5. Wine and dine the scammer until you get a chance to give them the herpes.
    6. Withdraw all the money from their account.
    7. Fly home.

Or just go over and beat them down. Than give them the herpes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Terrlock wrote: »
    here take a look at this website and decide if its a scam or not

http://www.ibbbc.com/

lol that site is great

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

They can't be for real. Those prices are incredibly low.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭speaktofrank

Of course it's a scam, anyone with half a brain can work that out. I have been a member of 419eater.com for four years now and the things we get these guys to do are amazing, while at the same time helping to spread awareness about these scams.
    I have had people phone me at 4am from South Africa demanding to know why I am not at the airport :D Other members of the site have got scammers to tattoo themselves, sing songs, travel 600 miles for a Western Union pickup and lots more. Oh and we get them to perform stunts too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiCqefRhZdg

If anyone wants to join PM me.

Dear friend:
    Ah classic chinglish. Actual translation:

"Due to numerous fraudulent transactions from Paypal, we can no longer accept that as a means of payment until outstanding issues are resolved.
    Thanks for your cooperation!"

:D

Actually I'm sorely tempted to email them a link to this discussion to see if we can have the first ever chinglish debate on AH. I think the email would go a bit like this...

"Dear gentlemen, I hoped informs you to debate current occurs in boards.ie. I feel us to be able from yours input all advantage. You, simple sam."

Ah classic chinglish. Actual translation:

"Due to numerous fraudulent transactions from Paypal, we can no longer accept that as a means of payment until outstanding issues are resolved.
    Thanks for your cooperation!"

:D

Actually I'm sorely tempted to email them a link to this discussion to see if we can have the first ever chinglish debate on AH. I think the email would go a bit like this...

"Dear gentlemen, I hoped informs you to debate current occurs in boards.ie. I feel us to be able from yours input all advantage. You, simple sam."

Nah if you do that then they will just disappear and recreate a new website and email address to try scam more.

Although we could have our first joint AH scambait event hehe

Terrlock wrote: »
    Nah if you do that then they will just disappear and recreate a new website and email address to try scam more.
    You could be not false for temporary, but I did not think they meet the anvil and embark. Suitable vacation player always protect he from already.

Maybe this thread should be moved too the Online Buying & Auctions forum.

Sorry I didn't see that board when I first posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

If they are shipping with UPS then tell them you'll pay COD.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Sign the email address up for a load of random sites. Make sure to sign it up to some adult sites. It won't be long before a spam bot picks it up.

and put into as many "guest books" as possible

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭The guy

Tell them all your money is gone for your rich aunt who has recently passed away leaving a huge fortune in a bank account. This fortune of course is only accessible by her giving an inital sum of €3000 to unlock the account and she can then become rich beyond her wildest dreams.

Advertisement