Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potatoes -v- Sweet Potatoes

Options
  • 02-01-2008 9:11pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I know sweet potatoes are better for you than regular ones, but how much better? Is it really of much benefit to substitute the sweet ones?

And how bad are normal potatoes for you, really? I mean, how often should you aim to eat them?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

Faith wrote: »
    I know sweet potatoes are better for you than regular ones, but how much better? Is it really of much benefit to substitute the sweet ones?
    mmmmm... sweet potatoes.... *drool*

Sweet potatoes are lower GI than regular potatoes, so they won't play with your insulin quite as much. Regular potatoes are also great for fibre and Vit C too, so effectively neither of them are unhealthy! I guess another aspect of it is that sweet potatoes can be easily eaten on their own and without garnishes, whereas with regular potatoes most people tend to put a lot of salt and butter on them for added taste.
    And how bad are normal potatoes for you, really? I mean, how often should you aim to eat them?
    Depending on your goals, you can eat them often or rarely. If you find yourself struggling with your weight, lowering your carbs in general will help, and that will mean keeping potatoes to a minimum (along with pasta, rice, bread etc.). But if you're a highly active person potatoes provide a great source of slow-release energy to keep you energised. Just keep your portions small - only eat 2-3 small potatoes or one medium one at a sitting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

I think the "problem" I had with potatoes is shared by a lot of people, especially guys but some girls too is what G'em implies. I just ate WAY too much of them. Like half the plate was mash potato or two large baked potatoes with a steak etc. Presumably you want to keep eating potatoes because you like them? If that's the case just eat only small portions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

I don't eat potatoes at all, but like nothingcompares said, a reduction of huge staple portions is the way to go to keep your insulin (and thus cholesterol, tryglycerides, water retention, fat storage etc etc etc.) relatively happy. I'd even go as far as to wonder why one would eat them more than any other vegetable.

Keeping the skins on too makes them significantly healthier, the skin is a good source of vitamin C, vitamin B6, copper, potassium, manganese, and especially dietary fibre. Small potatoes (which I recall as tasting like heaven) would appear to have a higher skin to starch ratio.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I adore potatoes, and I don't think I could bear to cut them out! I generally use two small to medium potatoes and mash them down, but I always end up with loads more than I thought I would! I leave the skin on too though, even when I mash them.

I guess I'll just cut back to one potato per meal, and try to keep it to once or twice a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

New potatoes are low GI so will kep you fuller for longer, if you prefer reg potatoes to sweet potatoes (why?! sweet potatoes are delicious!) you could opt for new potatoes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

Piste wrote: »
    New potatoes are low GI so will kep you fuller for longer, if you prefer reg potatoes to sweet potatoes (why?! sweet potatoes are delicious!) you could opt for new potatoes.
    Mmm yes, new potatoes, they're the ones I was trying to refer to when I said small potatoes. Anyway they are dee-lish, I haven't had them in about a year. I might start putting one or two in the odd salad sometime.
    Faith wrote:
    I guess I'll just cut back to one potato per meal, and try to keep it to once or twice a week.
    Wow, that's a big step, fair play. I wish you luck and encouragement in that endeavor.

Advertisement