Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Small Changes, Big Results in 2008

Options
  • 02-01-2008 4:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭

istockphoto_2025015_new_year_s_resolutions_dieting.jpg

It's that time of year again. The time when we all resolve to get slimmer/ lose the belly/ get fit/ detox/ give up the smokes/ drink less/ promise to eat our bodyweight in broccoli and sprouts and finally become best friends with the local health food shop owner.

That's a lot of resolutions to try and get the hang of in one go though :o

So instead, try a new approach. This year I'm making a promise to myself to change one thing in my diet every week. Small changes will add up to big results over time. This week I'm getting back into the habit of drinking 1L of water before I leave the house in the morning. I keep a sports bottle on my dresser, I fill it after I've had my shower and I drink it as I'm getting dressed/ drying my hair/ eating my breakfast. By the time I'm ready to leave the house that water is in my system and rehydrating my body. Ok, so by the time I get into work I'm ready to pee like a racehorse but it's worth it ;)

Next week I'm going to cut down my tea intake to two cups a day. The week after that I'm going to try and drink three cups of green tea a day. The week after that I may try and eat an extra serving of veg a day, or learn a new quick and easy recipe that I can prepare at weekends and stick in the freezer for those evenings I really couldn't be arsed cooking.

The point is, I'm not going to try and overwhelm myself with new things all at once. By gradually making small changes they soon become habit, and habits, as we all know, are really hard to break!

So, what changes can you make? Post them up - you may inspire someone else to make that positive change too!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 mykingdomlisa

good change i don't like to drink water but milk , i just running in the afternoon everyday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭ali.c

g'em wrote: »
    So, what changes can you make? Post them up - you may inspire someone else to make that positive change too!

Well i am off the smokes since the new year so diet wise i am just keeping things pretty clean and cutting out stuff that i usually associate with smoking such as alchol and coffee for january and getting 3+litres of water a day. The idea behind my diet at the moment is to facilitate my getting of the smokes as much as is possible rather than specifically diet related.

All things going well i will have some different goals from february but mostly just tweaking of diet rather than any great overhaul!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I'm going to completely detox for at least a week once I get back to Edinburgh (following your plan, g'em!). Once that's done, I'll reintroduce caffiene in the form of green tea. I'll also gradually increase my water intake to 2-3 litres per day. I'll work on increasing the amount of exercise I do too!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

As of yesterday I've a couple dietary related goals for this month. I'm terrified to say them! But I'll let it be known if I keep them, and if that's the case I'll say what the were.

Advertisement