Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carol Vorderman Detox

Options
  • 02-01-2008 2:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭

Hey guys !
    Anyone tried the Carol Vorderman diet? Heard a colleague of mine saying it was really good but it kinda looked bland for a 28day detox to me!!!!
    What ye reckon?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

Try the g'em detox, guaranteed to make you feel better after 14 days:

- cut out all caffeine and caffeinated drinks
    - cut out all junk food - that includes "healthy" ready-made meals
    - cut out all alcohol- cut down starchy carbs (bread, pasta, rice, oats) to one meal per day, preferably in the morning
    - eat small, regular meals (5-6 per day) that are full of lean protein (eggs, meat, fish)
    - eat as much as you like of broccoli, green beans, sprouts, mange tout, carrots, peppers, carrots, onions, kale, cauliflower, and all other green, fibrous vegetables
    - eat 1-2 pieces of fruit a day
    drink 3-4L of water a day

Honestly, so called "detoxes" are nothing more than a general clean-up of your diet. By spending two weeks eliminating the crap we consider "food" from our eating habits you do the same, if not better, as following a 'celebrity' plan - and that's a guarantee!!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

And certainly do not waste money on detox potions. Most are little overpriced bottles of crap, says mix 2 drops with a litre of water and drink- just upping your water has the same effect, just drink more water. It is the same con/scam as slimming tablets that say "take on an empty stomach". If you did that with smarties you would probably lose weight as you have to stop eating to attain an empty stomach!

Never got these celebrity links, a mathematicians diet? a boxers lean mean grilling machine? will Darina Allen bring out a punch bag next?

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭NextSteps

g'em wrote: »

- cut out all alcohol- cut down starchy carbs (bread, pasta, rice, oats) to one meal per day, preferably in the morning
    - eat small, regular meals (5-6 per day) that are full of lean protein (eggs, meat, fish)
    - eat as much as you like of broccoli, green beans, sprouts, mange tout, carrots, peppers, carrots, onions, kale, cauliflower, and all other green, fibrous vegetables

Honestly, so called "detoxes" are nothing more than a general clean-up of your diet. By spending two weeks eliminating the crap we consider "food" from our eating habits you do the same, if not better, as following a 'celebrity' plan - and that's a guarantee!!

Why so little fruit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

UB wrote: »
    Why so little fruit?

Simply becuase people tend to overeat it. Of course fruit is good for you but virtually antying eaten in excess isn't good. But you can stand to eat a lot more veg than you can fruit without worry. Ideally you would get more veg than fruit in your diet, and by limiting it to a couple of pieces a day you get to enjoy its sweet yumminess but it won't interfere with the detox. There's also the issue of high sucrose fruits causing insulin spikes but that's perhaps overcomplicating things.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

If you are picking the fruit you find in the hedges, or even what you grow in your own garden, then eat away. But the stuff you buy in the supermarket has been manipulated and tweaked to be as big and sweet as possible, and the amount of nutrients relative to calories and sugar is very low.

If you are planning to eat your 5 a day, then make that 4 of veg and one fruit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

EileenG wrote: »
    If you are planning to eat your 5 a day, then make that 4 of veg and one fruit.
    Seconded. All fruits are not created equal.

Grapes, bananas, mangos, sweet cherries, apples, pineapples, pears and kiwi fruit are all very sugary. IMO 90% of the time, sugar is evil (like that thing that possessed that girl in the exorcist) .

Grapefruits, lemons etc. are fine, low GI foods. I <3 grapefruits to the tune of 3-4 a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

g'em wrote: »

Cool, I always assumed they might not be very good veg because they taste nice! I'll lamp plenty of both on my sandwiches now (not detoxing so carbs are ok!). Cheers again, G'em! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Cool, I always assumed they might not be very good veg because they taste nice! I'll lamp plenty of both on my sandwiches now (not detoxing so carbs are ok!). Cheers again, G'em! :)
    Check nutritional info on all packs, and calculate your actual portion sizes. Many foods you presume high in calories might be low and vice versa. Peppers & onions give a zing to a dish, using spices is a great low calorie way to make blandish food tasty, without resorting to oil or sugar or salt to make them more tasty.

Go to any asian store and you get massive bags of qualtiy spices for next to nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

Yes I did the Carol Vorderman Detox and no I would not recommend it! :D

I lasted 3 weeks - it was much too extreme for me. Its basically a vegan diet, with no sugar, salt, fat (except omega if I remember correctly). I ended up with mouth ulcers, constipated, extremely tired and nose bleedy! DELIGHTFUL! :rolleyes: AND you just obsess about food the entire time - hardly a healthy mental state.

She also encourages you to spend on tons of money on supplements.

I would now agree with the other posters suggesting a simple "cut out the cr@p" approach. Basically - don't eat any junk, cook your own food, cut out salty, sugary food, and up the veggies and water intake.

Advertisement