Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rough guide of calories

Options
  • 29-12-2007 7:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭

Hullo, does anyone know where I could find a rough guide to the amount of calories in my food? It's all well and good being able to look at the back of a box but if you're putting loads of ingredients together there's just too much maths to do!

So does anyone now of any sites that have rough guides, like "buttered toast is X cals" Etc.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Oh wow that's fantastic, thank you so much!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

You really need a scales. The math is simple. Most boxes have kcal per 100g, ignore portion sizes they are quoted as tiny. So say oats are 300kcal per 100g. Weigh out 60g. That is 300 x 0.6= 180kcal. Now you can zero your scale, add milk say 200g (1ml~1g) so 200gx 60kcalper100g=120g.

You get to know your regular sizes after a while- no need for a scale all the time.

Do keep it in check though, very easy to overeat. In another thread I was saying I got a portion of chips in a chinese takeaway and it was 520g, which is around 1300kcal. That was taking a calorific value from the back of a chips packet in tesco which listed 250kcal per 100g.

Now if you can find a bag of frozen chips (or online site like fitday) with a portion size listed as 520g for chips I would be amazed. Most list it as 125g.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Ah but say for instance you want a quick and easy meal like a stiryfry, you chop up veggies, throw some chicken or quorn into a wok and maybe a tiny bit of noodles if you really want the carbs....then you have to weigh each individual ingrediant and do the math to figure out what calories youre consuming, what a waste of time! hat site that was linked to seems very handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Piste wrote: »
    Ah but say for instance you want a quick and easy meal like a stiryfry, you chop up veggies, throw some chicken or quorn into a wok and maybe a tiny bit of noodles if you really want the carbs
    Might work for you, but a lot of peoples main problem is portion control. I never like US systems of cups etc, if somebody is hungry they will just pick a dirty big mug, fooling themselves, when "cup" is a defined volume, but still open to compression factors of the food.

A tiny bit of noodles to some people would be a half pack of supernoodles, 300kcal.

You only have to weigh stuff a few times to realise what 50g or 100g of something looks like.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Or try www.calorie-count.com . You can enter recipes and everything, and it breaks it up into calories per serving.

edit: Made a mistake with the address, but it's fixed now.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭lizzyvera

I usually look at the packet- if I use 1/3 of the tofu, or whatever, in the packet each time it's easy to calculate.
    I only weigh cereal now and again because I know how much to use from experience.
    And who counts veg?! There's no need unless you're being very very strict and you'd have to eat an awful lot of them for them to count over 200kcal or so. I do count fruit, but only roughly 150 for a big banana, 50 for a smallish apple etc.

That 1200 for one portion of chips is crazy. I'd only eat a bit more than that in a day.

Advertisement