Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Shut-down jobs"

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

It's a chance to wind down, I don't mind. I haven't taken any time off since Aug so it's a nice break. I'm taking annual leave from 31st Dec to 9th Jan in addition to the normal days off. Will be great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

I got 4 days off, was back to work on Friday for the start of 8 days in a row... Wish I got a couple of weeks off like pretty much everybody else that I know:(

Still have 4 untaken holiday days and a lieu day for NYD, so at least I'll get a week off sometime in January...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

My Dad was back at work yesterday having finished with a half day on the 24th. However, I think he could have had yesterday off but he decided to go back because he's bringing my brother on a week's holiday tomorrow.

Personally, this is my first year with proper holidays at Christmas. I'm a student but I've worked in retail, etc, for 3 years, meaning I had college and work and 2 days off at Christmas. This year I'm relishing the chance to relax because I don't work.

I don't think that making workers take holidays out of their annual leave would be too popular! I'm not sure that many people would agree that the holidays they get at Christmas are a bad thing! Think of those who got only one day, or worse, none at all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

The office I'm temping in closed business on 21st December and reopens New Year's Eve. Nobody had to take holidays because of this - they simply got the time off paid as the office is shut. I've never heard of people being forced to use holidays when the company is going to be closed anyway. That's pretty appalling. I won't get paid as I'm a temp and the agency pays me, but I'm still glad of the time off when there's so much social events and scope for hangover sleepoffage.
    Now even though the office is reopening on New Year's Eve, it will be very quiet so a lot of people won't bother going in and will take the day out of their holidays - THAT's fair enough. Although I don't understand why the company is opening on New Year's Eve when it is going to be so quiet and they'll be shut again New Year's Day.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

That's what you get for working in a bank man.

If you had all those days saved up why not use them to coincide with when most other people would be off? You could use the time to catch up with friends back home for Christmas and wouldn't have to face in to work in this miserable weather.
    nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    For people who work in such places that close down for almost a fortnight over the Christmas period.

- do these days off count as part of your annual leave allocation?

Surely the bank holidays [25/26/1] don't?

We only close for a week and a bit. Three of those days you have to take off. The company are also kind enough to give us Christmas Eve off for free, yay! A lot of factory workplaces close down in August for two weeks to retool or clean the premises and workers have to take 10 days annual leave. It's just a part of the package.

Also, you have 25 days annual leave! Some of us only have 20 so quit yer belly-aching!

• Advertisement

I would murder for more time off at Christmas. The measly two days off I get off are just not enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

company open 365, my department closed 25/26th of december and 1st jan

:D

think i would have been board if had more time off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

In the construction sector, sites and open jobs invariably close down for the fortnight, most tradespeople whether working for themselves or as employees have no choice but take that time off and in the case of employees, it is a form of forced leave (paid for, but days taken from yearly entitlement). The added pressure of trying to have things finished for christmas (usually new homes) means that the run up to xmas is busier, but the slow times, especially in my trade, can hit hard in Jan and Feb.
    The logistics of it are pretty simple; there's that many other places like suppliers etc already closed that you can't operate at peak. Liewise, unless you're a plumber or other necessity, people don't want you in their home during their holidays.
    On the point about bank holidays over the xmas period, I've known of cases and had it tried on with me where employers will try and wangle out of paying those BH's to those entitled to them, saying that that's their two week's pay, when they have in fact only been paid 7-8 working days for their fortnight off.

This year I'm self employed and have been since late october; that means I got no holiday pay (first time in years), no BH entitlement, no bonus, no staff party (although I did end up at one with a bunch of subbies from the firm I used to work for) and am forced into staying off work until things "return to normal"; ie, Jan 2nd, when sites open and when people are willing to let you into their houses to carry out work.

It's something I'm used to (the forced fortnight)....I have been since school; we probably all have. Back in the times I worked in pubs or hotels you'd get xmas day off and that was it....you could be assured of working at least 80% of the days over the festive closure period....I hated that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    I went back to work today.

Most people [I know all my mates do] seem to have `shut-down` jobs - where their office closes around December 21/22 and doesn`t re-open until January 2 or sometimes later. It means they`re forced to take holidays at Christmas whether they like it or not.

Where I work I just get three days off - December 25/26/27 - if one or two of these days falls on a weekend then I get the next working day/s off. Naturally I can take other days off if I want - out of my annual leave allocation. This year I had six left so I stopped work on December 14 [took 17/18/19/20/21/24 off].

This forced Christmas break is somewhat excessive in my opinion. What`s even more annoying is that my local Centra had no hot food available today [I couldn`t get a breakfast roll] as they assumed there wouldn`t be the demand. Likewise the deli I frequent for lunch is shut until 2 January.

You really notice it on internet forums where traffic is far quieter - a symptom of people mostly posting at work as opposed to home.

Anyone else think the break is too long?

No.

Earthhorse wrote: »
    We only close for a week and a bit. Three of those days you have to take off.
    That is so sh*t. Never heard of it before tbh. Really shabby policy.

• Advertisement

Really? I thought it was a pretty common practise.

First thing I get back I'm gonna find out who my union rep is, draw up a letter of complaint, march to his desk and...ah who'm I kidding, sounds like a lot of work.

Earthhorse wrote: »
    Really? I thought it was a pretty common practise.
    Oh I'm not doubting it, it's just that I had never heard of it before. Doesn't happen anywhere I've worked.
    First thing I get back I'm gonna find out who my union rep is, draw up a letter of complaint, march to his desk and...ah who'm I kidding, sounds like a lot of work.
    A lot of work it may be, but you could use the spare time of your enforced holidays to do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

i'm off on a months christmas holidays from college atm. not back until the 14th of jan.
    BUT i have to work full time hours at my part time job.
    Damn busy christmas

Dudess wrote: »
    A lot of work it may be, but you could use the spare time of your enforced holidays to do so.

Yeah, that doesn't sound like me. To be honest, I don't mind it that much. I still have 17 days annual leave to take, and our holiday year runs from July to June. That's not counting flex-leave either so I should be a well rested Earthhorse by the time summer comes round!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I get one day off, on the 25th, provided Christmas falls on a weekday. As every one of my clients was off on the 26th this year it made for a pretty boring day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

People don't stop getting into fights, having accidents or getting sick and checking into A&E just because it's christmas or the New Year, so I had only Christmas day off.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Wertz wrote: »
    In the construction sector, sites and open jobs invariably close down for the fortnight, most tradespeople whether working for themselves or as employees have no choice but take that time off and in the case of employees, it is a form of forced leave (paid for, but days taken from yearly entitlement).
    Do people get "fired" and re-hired at christmas like they do for the builders holiday in summer - so the employer can save two weeks pay ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

It happens but it's never happened me. Would depend a lot on the trade and the size of the company (or site), would also depend on the skill level of a worker, their seniority, perhaps on their nationality and of course whether they're in a union. I always tended to work for smaller firms so no union, but didn't feel I needed one.
    The majority of companies are okay about holidays (only 20 days per year + BHs mind), it's unusual to see people getting duped, but it does happen...

Advertisement