Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Murder of Benazir Bhutto/ Treatment of women in Muslim culture

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

Bhuttos 19 year old son has been appointed joint party head.

Imagine if he got elected to power, it would be like some really bad American college movie :p Ordering invasions to acquire Afghanistans cannabis heartland and becoming the first Islamic country to ban young women from wearing any clothing. Real Dude Wheres My Car territory here :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Tha Gopher wrote: »
    Bhuttos 19 year old son has been appointed joint party head.

Imagine if he got elected to power, it would be like some really bad American college movie :p Ordering invasions to acquire Afghanistans cannabis heartland and becoming the first Islamic country to ban young women from wearing any clothing. Real Dude Wheres My Car territory here :p

That'd be a cool movie! Just imagine Rob Schnieder landing the role!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DhAR5nOVVo

Rob Schnieder is an oxford graduate who had it all. Only problem is he's about to become .... *record scratches* ...... president!

Rob Schnieder is .... Bilawal Bhutto! Rated PG.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Miss Fluff wrote: »
    You do know India and Pakistan are separate countries right??

Pakistan and India share many cultural similarities. Before the partition of India, Bangladesh, India and Pakistan were all the one country.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

tech77 wrote: »
    Again fair enough.
    I accept that Pakistan is more "progressive" (God, why should i have to even put the word progressive in quotes here...) than Saudi Arabia.
    But what i'm really talking about is Muslim culture generally (specifically the more fundamental and stricter strains but any strain really..) and its treatment of women.

Religion is important when it comes to Pakistani culture, but then you can't ignore that fact that Pakistan has a lot Indian cultural elements as well. The concept of a generalized Muslim culture doesn't exist at all. Things a very different from country to country. Most of the time what you see is a blend of Islam and the local culture to create a unique culture unto itself.

My point here is that generalizing serves no useful purpose as there is no such thing as a single Muslim culture, but rather many different Muslim cultures. While I understand what your getting at, I don't believe an answer is possible.

Advertisement