Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath Slang

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 DeeBE

In North Meath you get as a greeting...

"are ya Rale well" as in ... are you real well
    or
    "How a ya now"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 MeathLassie

mickrourke wrote: »
    So anyone got any slang terms specific to Meath.

such as the one made famous by tommy tiernan 'the sneer'
    as in 'come on, we're going down the town for the sneer'

'Now you're sucking diesel' ( i have heard this originated in Balivor, not sure about the truth of that though)

quote]

actually it comes from killyon the old petrol station there ( mitchells)
    Im from Killyon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭alanajane

how about - 'going in for the shift' a term for the good old days of the slow sets

• Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

'Horrid' seems to be widely used in Navan. It is often used in a positive manner which is strange.

"I thought he played horrid well."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭washiskin

Two spring to mind:

"Up she flew and the cock flattened her" my brother-in-law used to say that for absolutely no reason - apparently it's a Bohermeen thing.

"Lovin' lamb of jaysus, I nearly calved" - I heard this on a night out with a gang of lads from Curragha.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭alanajane

someone phone in tommy and hector with all this tomorrow morning, i sure they could add a few to it....ah the cup of scaldy tae

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Skr4wny

'Stop the lights' is a favourite of mine.

The Horse/horsebox thing is Meath wide, but generally it's used more in Navan/Kells.

Also the below.......

Q: How are you?
    A: Like a small farmer, struggling but getting by.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 MeathLassie

my nanny used to say 'ya water hen' or 'heres the water hen' when ever i got out of the bath, i have never heard anoyone else say it and she lived in Meath her whole entire live so she wouldnt have herad anyone for another county say it

Advertisement