Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your best and worst customer service experiences [rant & praise]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Merged into Best / Worst Customer Sevice thread.

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

can someone please summarise for me, I'm not even going to bother reading with the melodramatic "Bedlam" in the title.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Poor
    can someone please summarise for me, I'm not even going to bother reading with the melodramatic "Bedlam" in the title.

Some kids tried to skip the queue on the poster. The poster said it to the kids and they went to the back of the queue.

Separately to that it appears the poster thought the supervalu was understaffed.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

linguist wrote: »
    I related the whole thing to the guy at the till and got the usual non-committal grunt that passes for customer service in this country. The security guy had disappeared and the guy at the till conceded that they were understaffed and hadn't expected the shop to be so busy. Seemed like a normal suburban Sunday evening to me. I suggested that if they couldn't police their shop they might like to pay the customers to do it for them:)

Did you expect a security guard to police queue jumping? For me this is serious mountains out of molehills.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭linguist

Then why did you bother commenting you silly troll? And for your information, you can blame the mods for putting it in here as I had created a thread of my own.

• Advertisement

Did you expect a security guard to police queue jumping? For me this is serious mountains out of molehills.

What I expect is for any trader to run their business in such a way as customers aren't faced with the options of:

a) tolerating queue jumping etc and having a quiet life
    b) having to take matters into their own hands will all the risks that can involve in today's society where a lot of people will either respond non-verbally or indeed counter allege something in return

Yes, I expect traders to anticipate that kind of thing so I don't have to.

@linguist - Please do not attack posters. Such behaviour is not acceptable in this forum.

dudara

I'm sorry - the poster's attitude to me was unnecessarily dismissive and rude and you need to deal with it too. Why respond in such a vein to somebody?

I'm sorry - the poster's attitude to me was unnecessarily dismissive and rude and you need to deal with it too. Why respond in such a vein to somebody?

Please do not argue a mod decision on thread. If you have an issue with a post you can report it, using the Report Post function. A moderator will then review and decide is action is warranted.

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 11,989 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

What I expect is for any trader to run their business in such a way as customers aren't faced with the options of:

a) tolerating queue jumping etc and having a quiet life
    b) having to take matters into their own hands will all the risks that can involve in today's society where a lot of people will either respond non-verbally or indeed counter allege something in return

Yes, I expect traders to anticipate that kind of thing so I don't have to.

How was it tolerated, did staff tell you not to ask the kids to move?

This whole 'experience' is beyond blown out of proportion, everyday incident which has been overreacted to would have been a more appropriate title.

Should they hire someone to manage queues so that the more sensitive customers dont have to interact?

• Advertisement

everyday incident which has been overreacted to would have been a more appropriate title.

Good on you. Well sure you just let every unmannerly twelve year old go ahead of you and we'll all wait behind.
    Should they hire someone to manage queues so that the more sensitive customers dont have to interact?

Of course not. But, when a situation presents itself, as it frequently does in this particular supermarket, where a certain element of kids come into the newsagents in significant numbers, mostly to loiter while a few pick up the odd bar of chocolate or whatever, I would expect the management to see to it that reasonable order is maintained. Given that the off-licence is in the same part of the shop and not shielded off, it really is their job.

Anyway, some of the reactions here just serve to prove why certain things in this country are as they are: that people would actually prefer inaction in the face of unruliness as opposed to a bit of discipline.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,989 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Good on you. Well sure you just let every unmannerly twelve year old go ahead of you and we'll all wait behind.

Of course not. But, when a situation presents itself, as it frequently does in this particular supermarket, where a certain element of kids come into the newsagents in significant numbers, mostly to loiter while a few pick up the odd bar of chocolate or whatever, I would expect the management to see to it that reasonable order is maintained. Given that the off-licence is in the same part of the shop and not shielded off, it really is their job.

Anyway, some of the reactions here just serve to prove why certain things in this country are as they are: that people would actually prefer inaction in the face of unruliness as opposed to a bit of discipline.

No you seem to have misread the reactions, mine anyway. I dont think its the shops responsibility to tell kids not to skip you, its yours, and you did, like I would, but id leave it there. You didnt state anywhere in the original post that its a regular occurrence with people skipping the queue, different story then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Good

That's just it. This is about unmannerly children, not a consumer issue. The store can't take the blame nor should they have to police the situation or provide staff in case these kids just happened to come in. It's the job of the parents and responsible adults to deal with this and you did. It would annoy the hell out of me and I would certainly have put them in their place but I wouldn't be angry at the shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭nkav86

That's just it. This is about unmannerly children, not a consumer issue. The store can't take the blame nor should they have to police the situation or provide staff in case these kids just happened to come in. It's the job of the parents and responsible adults to deal with this and you did. It would annoy the hell out of me and I would certainly have put them in their place but I wouldn't be angry at the shop.

Exactly the point I would make, I work in retail and I see adults regularly skipping each other, where possible I try to correct it, but I don't always see it, some people are just rude in that way, it's not my job to put manners on people

To be honest, it is the job of the business to look after the customer experience. Let me give a different example: if you're sitting on a flight and your seat is being kicked behind or another passenger is being inconsiderate - putting seat back during meal times etc, I've had it confirmed to me on a number of occasions that the correct approach is to raise it with cabin crew rather than risk a direct confrontation with the other passenger. But as I say, the context there is quite different.

I really feel quite frustrated by the reception I have received here particularly since I never sought to post this in this particular thread - it was moved here - and I have been personally ridiculed by the grouch and given no satisfaction when I finally sought redress in the 'correct' manner requested.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

To be honest, it is the job of the business to look after the customer experience. Let me give a different example: if you're sitting on a flight and your seat is being kicked behind or another passenger is being inconsiderate - putting seat back during meal times etc, I've had it confirmed to me on a number of occasions that the correct approach is to raise it with cabin crew rather than risk a direct confrontation with the other passenger. But as I say, the context there is quite different.

I really feel quite frustrated by the reception I have received here particularly since I never sought to post this in this particular thread - it was moved here - and I have been personally ridiculed by the grouch and given no satisfaction when I finally sought redress in the 'correct' manner requested.

To be honest I don't think our responses would be different if they were in their own thread, besides the TL;DR comment.

The situation on a plane is different where people are forced to share a small space for several hours and the cabin crew have more powers to control customers to prevent air rage. In fact it's their duty to control passengers to ensure the safety of the flight. Nothing comparable to some kids skipping the queue in a shop.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

The poster is a teacher- and probably has to put up with kids of this ilk for hours on end every day. At least in their personal life- they shouldn't have to admonish wayward children- they are bringing their day job into their own time- is where I think the poster is coming from?

If I were the manager of the Supervalu- I'd be moving on the kids anyway- I wouldn't want kids using my store as a place to congregate- it is intimidating- and an annoyance for other customers- and to be brutally honest- what the hell are 10 kids doing buying a packet of chewing gum.

Most stores of any size at all- have a discrete security presence- to deter lighthanded individuals- and there are always cameras at checkouts- so- putting a few security screens on the wall behind- might deter the kids- at no ongoing cost to the business?

Anyways- we're all getting far too exercised over this- life is too short- lets move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,173 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

The poster is a teacher- and probably has to put up with kids of this ilk for hours on end every day. At least in their personal life- they shouldn't have to admonish wayward children- they are bringing their day job into their own time- is where I think the poster is coming from?

If I were the manager of the Supervalu- I'd be moving on the kids anyway- I wouldn't want kids using my store as a place to congregate- it is intimidating- and an annoyance for other customers- and to be brutally honest- what the hell are 10 kids doing buying a packet of chewing gum.

Most stores of any size at all- have a discrete security presence- to deter lighthanded individuals- and there are always cameras at checkouts- so- putting a few security screens on the wall behind- might deter the kids- at no ongoing cost to the business?

Anyways- we're all getting far too exercised over this- life is too short- lets move on.

i would have a thought a teacher would have no problem putting a 12 year old in their place without getting upset.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Paid in store for a bed on the 4th and for delivery within 10/11 days. Got a letter Monday in the post (was dated the 5th) asking me to call a UK number to arrange delivery. Earliest date they can deliver it on now is the 26th.

Third day on the phone/Tweeting to Argos who acknowledge it was their mistake but insist the earliest date for delivery will be the 26th. I'm not looking for any compensation or a refund of the delivery fees but talking to them on the phone and on Twitter it feels like no attempt was made to even try to get the bed delivered sooner. Starting to think the bed was probably never in stock in the first place. Never again.

I recently ordered a replacement Intel Core i7 label for my laptop off Intel who not only delivered it free in record time but sent it tracked from Glasgow to Shannon to my house within 24hrs by courier. Big envelope for a small sticker. That's customer service.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭goodlad

Because the logistics of transporting a bed and a 1inch square sticker are comparable? :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Merged with the best/worst customer service thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

Pizza Dog in Drumcondra.Ordered out of here and the hot n spicy chicken wings here covered in salt.Rang to see if they would rectify teh situation.Was looking to send back the wings and order another pizza and just pay teh difference.

Well whoever got on teh phone o me was so rude.Kept talking over me and trying to tell me i didnt like spicy food.Really if i rang all the time complaining i could understand but wouldnt do anything to help the situation at all.Just very rude,needs to learn to deal with customer complaints.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

dubstarr wrote: »
    Pizza Dog in Drumcondra.Ordered out of here and the hot n spicy chicken wings here covered in salt.Rang to see if they would rectify teh situation.Was looking to send back the wings and order another pizza and just pay teh difference.

Well whoever got on teh phone o me was so rude.Kept talking over me and trying to tell me i didnt like spicy food.Really if i rang all the time complaining i could understand but wouldnt do anything to help the situation at all.Just very rude,needs to learn to deal with customer complaints.

That's brave, ringing complaining with the intention of ordering more.

<SNIP>Mod: not appropriate

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

That's brave, ringing complaining with the intention of ordering more.

<SNIP>Mod: not appropriate

Ye seemed like a good idea at the time :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Gettingtogrips

3ireland have to be up there with the worst customer service and technical support in Ireland at the moment. They all seem well trained to drag you round and round in circles getting nowhere and I have always had to give up in total frustration without ever once having an issue resolved. For that reason I am taking my complaint about them to ComReg. All they appear interested in is getting the maximum amount of money out of you. I will never use them again even if I do end up having to pay their monthly charge for the next 17 months - but hopefully not! They are to be avoided.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

3ireland have to be up there with the worst customer service and technical support in Ireland at the moment. They all seem well trained to drag you round and round in circles getting nowhere and I have always had to give up in total frustration without ever once having an issue resolved. For that reason I am taking my complaint about them to ComReg. All they appear interested in is getting the maximum amount of money out of you. I will never use them again even if I do end up having to pay their monthly charge for the next 17 months - but hopefully not! They are to be avoided.

Wait til you experience Comreg's "customer service"...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

L1011 wrote: »
    Wait til you experience Comreg's "customer service"...

Or the Data Protection Commissioners........

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Or the Data Protection Commissioners........

I've had the two of them on the same issue before. I'm fairly certain my hairline receeded about half an inch over the months that took.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Gettingtogrips

OMG, does anyone work properly in this country? They (3_)have so many sneaky ways of getting out of doing their job properly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

Posted a cheque at Rathmines Post Office at 2pm on a Wednesday with a 70c stamp as supplied by the cashier.
    It arrived safe and sound at it's destination in Cork at 11am the next day, Thursday. Well done An Post!:)

Advertisement