Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could religion ever die?

Options
  • 09-12-2007 11:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭

Being an atheist and a skeptic, I am constantly frustrated by the wall of unbreakable belief that I am faced with in day to day life. I often end up wondering if there will ever be a day when the religious are in the minority and atheism and critical thinking prevail. Although I would like to think that it could happen some day in the distant future, I really dont think that it ever really could. Any opinions???

Will religion die out??? 15 votes

Yes, hopefully
    0% 0 votes
    No, unfortunatly
    100% 15 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,524 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Nope, Thats never gonna happen.
    Theres far too many "good" things that can be gotten from religions and so many people that benefit from that goodness.
    Plus the worse off your situation the more need there is for something/someone to believe in. Theres a lot of people in this world in very bad situations on a daily basis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

No never will happen

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

TheThing! wrote: »
    Being an atheist and a skeptic, I am constantly frustrated by the wall of unbreakable belief that I am faced with in day to day life. I often end up wondering if there will ever be a day when the religious are in the minority and atheism and critical thinking prevail. Although I would like to think that it could happen some day in the distant future, I really dont think that it ever really could. Any opinions???

Many individual religions/cults/belief systems have pretty much died, normally with the civilization that spawned them.

Never happen? It is already happening!

There are a number of countries in Europe with atheists in the majority, with church attendance in single digit percentages of the population and the numbers still declining.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I think people, in general, will always believe in something. They will always see agency in the events that shape their lives. Apparetly its hardwired into us to some degree.

Ultimately we evolved to survive, even if our brains need to lie to us to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

pH wrote: »
    Many individual religions/cults/belief systems have pretty much died, normally with the civilization that spawned them.

There are a number of countries in Europe with atheists in the majority, with church attendance in single digit percentages of the population and the numbers still declining.

True. However that is balanced to a degree by the rise in Christianity in other countries.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭TheThing!

pH wrote: »

Never happen? It is already happening!

But could those figures ever appear on a global scale?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Perhaps such a world is possible (although not with our current set-up) but religion/superstition could easily make a come back if the atheistic civilisation were to decline or be ended abruptly by some disaster.

simu wrote: »
    Perhaps such a world is possible (although not with our current set-up) but religion/superstition could easily make a come back if the atheistic civilisation were to decline or be ended abruptly by some disaster.

A curious statement.

Could you explain where this atheistic civilisation is located?

I would argue that there is a rise in the number of people identifying with the 'spiritual' throughout Europe. This is of course to the detriment of various religious institutions. Though from a Christian perspective I would again argue that this isn't a bad thing in the long run as there is a corresponding resurgence in 'grass roots' belief.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Eh, that would be the hypothetical atheistic civilisation.

Double post

• Advertisement

A curious statement.

Could you explain where this atheistic civilisation is located?

I would argue that there is a rise in the number of people identifying with the 'spiritual' throughout Europe. This is of course to the detriment of various religious institutions. Though from a Christian perspective I would again argue that this isn't a bad thing in the long run as there is a corresponding resurgence in 'grass roots' belief.

The annoyance factor of people going around stating that they are spiritual rather than simply religious would probably be quite high too. In fact I would probably have to crack open the nunchucks

The annoyance factor of people going around stating that they are spiritual rather than simply religious would probably be quite high too. In fact I would probably have to crack open the nunchucks

Humm... critical thinking indeed!

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭SubjectSean

I don't think religion will ever dissapear, the belief in God goes hand in hand with consciousness

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

Humm... critical thinking indeed!

Dude, he was joking.

I don't think religion will ever dissapear, the belief in God goes hand in hand with consciousness

Could you expand on that?

womoma wrote: »
    Dude, he was joking.

So was I, Dude!

Could you expand on that?

Ya the belief in God is the inevitable product of having minds like ours. It arises naturally like laughter or music.

Ya the belief in God is the inevitable product of having minds like ours. It arises naturally like laughter or music.

Yeah I have heard something like that before, but surely if people can see the reality of the situation like all those atheist out there then this alone doesn't doom us to a world of religion

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Religion holds all the cards. An afterlife, see all your loved ones again, someone watching over you, a sense of community, answers to where we came from....

As long as people want these, we'll have religion.

Dades wrote: »
    Religion holds all the cards. An afterlife, see all your loved ones again, someone watching over you, a sense of community, answers to where we came from....

As long as people want these, we'll have religion.

I see what you are saying but it could be argued that atheism holds all the card because it is actually correct

• Advertisement

I see what you are saying but it could be argued that atheism holds all the card because it is actually correct
    Thats a pretty sweeping/groundbreaking statement.....
    What's correct about it?
    Not saying that there's anything wrong with it but wondering why it is more correct than anything else on this small little speck of dust.
    Kippy

kippy wrote: »
    Thats a pretty sweeping/groundbreaking statement.....
    What's correct about it?
    Not saying that there's anything wrong with it but wondering why it is more correct than anything else on this small little speck of dust.
    Kippy

It is not a groundbreaking statement, atheists have been saying it forever. It is correct to not believe in something which has as much evidence backing it up as what I am about to write:

The universe was created by an enormous chocolate doughnut drizzled with monkey cum

Religion and god and all that jazz was literally made up like the preceding statement, and therefore not believing in it is the correct path

It is not a groundbreaking statement, atheists have been saying it forever. It is correct to not believe in something which has as much evidence backing it up as what I am about to write:

The universe was created by an enormous chocolate doughnut drizzled with monkey cum

Religion and god and all that jazz was literally made up like the preceding statement, and therefore not believing in it is the correct path
    That of course is taken from an Atheists standpoint.
    That however, does not make it (atheism) correct - from my standpoint.

kippy wrote: »
    That of course is taken from an Atheists standpoint.
    That however, does not make it (atheism) correct - from my standpoint.

You believing otherwise, or a billion christians believing otherwise, doesn't invalidate the fact that there is not evidence for god or any of the claims of all the various religions that subcribe to these views. I may think that 8 and 8 is not 16, and I may go to a building each sunday and pray to the big 8 and 8 is 19 god, but it doesn't change the facts

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

As long as each ego seems to itself the only important little pool of light in a great dark universe, we will have religion. What monstrous lies will we not tell ourselves, when most of us would rather see the stars dim and fade, than that this one little light should go out?

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Scofflaw wrote: »
    As long as each ego seems to itself the only important little pool of light in a great dark universe, we will have religion. What monstrous lies will we not tell ourselves, when most of us would rather see the stars dim and fade, than that this one little light should go out?

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Believing that your existence has importance and being an atheist are not incompatable, if thats what you're saying

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Believing that your existence has importance and being an atheist are not incompatable, if thats what you're saying

Only a select few understand what Scofflaw is saying! think of him as a highly educated uncle who's come to Christmas dinner and has had a little too much too drink - you're sure what he's saying is terribly clever if only you could fathom it ... wait isn't that Chitty Chitty Bang Bang on TV?

Yeah I have heard something like that before, but surely if people can see the reality of the situation like all those atheist out there then this alone doesn't doom us to a world of religion

I do not believe that Athiests do see the reality of the situation. I think they belittle the phenomenon of sentient consciousness and are so set against the many stupidities of organised religion that they fail to see that the First Cause has to exist. Most of the progress made by humanity would not have happened without our belief in God.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

most of the progress made by humanity would not have happened without the wheel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

Yes, and the religious will be in the minority one day. However, It would be quite optimistic to suggest that it will happen in any of our lifetimes.

Advertisement