Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Better equipment for the Gardai

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Fyr.Fytr

Sweet perfect for traffic corps, have the space and the speed and handeling they need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭the locust

Those Volvo's - i.e. the one at the college are for the RSU's only (regional supp units). They are a beast of a vehicle, purely police spec vehicles straight from volvo. I saw one beside a v6 mondeo and it made it look tiny! Massive engine!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭ImDave

That Volvo outside the college looks extremly cool. A few of them would be nice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Eru

the locust wrote: »
    Those Volvo's - i.e. the one at the college are for the RSU's only (regional supp units). They are a beast of a vehicle, purely police spec vehicles straight from volvo. I saw one beside a v6 mondeo and it made it look tiny! Massive engine!

That would make sense if they are going to be carrying weapons in the boot. Certainly seems to have bigger and easier to access boot space.

Surprised they arent buying secoond hand MET gunships! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭Ultravid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Fyr.Fytr

That would make sense if they are going to be carrying weapons in the boot. Certainly seems to have bigger and easier to access boot space.

Surprised they arent buying secoond hand MET gunships! :D

STOP THE PRESS!!!

AGS?? Common Sense???

I need to lie down

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

the locust wrote: »

Correct.

The state have spent 2million on 30 Volvo XC70's. These are comletely Police speck. The RSU will be driving the 3.0diesel tiptronic version. This will be the first time in the history of the Gardai that we will be driving domething that is complete Police spec made in Sweden for police. The one in the GC is for demonstration purposes only, not police speck.

About time i say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭FGR

yayamark wrote: »
    This will be the first time in the history of the Gardai that we will be driving domething that is complete Police spec made in Sweden for police. The one in the GC is for demonstration purposes only, not police speck.

About time i say.

The sooner they make this common practice the better. Uniformity and a common ground of safety should be the utmost for policing in Ireland.

At least all drivers would be aware of how every car would react/function as they would all be Volvos/Mondeos etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭opti76

al this talk of common sense and doing things right has got to stop ....i cant take it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭ojewriej

yayamark wrote: »
    The one in the GC is for demonstration purposes only, not police speck.

That's what I was thinking. It didn't really have anything unusual inside, apart form light&noise controls.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭shakin

i thought there was talk of the skoda octavia being made a standard car for the gardai, the psni have some?

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭roadruner

Should be BMW M3's & M5's

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

Ultravid wrote: »

Certainly is interesting.

One thing I saw is the extra wing mirror for the pbserver. Should have them installed on all cars with extra inside mirror.

roadruner wrote: »
    Should be BMW M3's & M5's

unlikely

why dont garda cars have some sort of bullbars fitted like american ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

To what end, are bulls roaming the public highways causing a particular risk to squad cars?

civdef wrote: »
    To what end, are bulls roaming the public highways causing a particular risk to squad cars?

i was thinking more cars being chased rather then a bull. i didnt know bullbars were specifically made for impact with bulls?:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 tintin

TheNog wrote: »
    Certainly is interesting.

One thing I saw is the extra wing mirror for the pbserver. Should have them installed on all cars with extra inside mirror.

Ever notice on road wars the extra rear view mirror for the observer next to the drivers internal mirror?? handy little gimick and for what extra cost?! Wasnt there an issue recently though that the new automatic reg. plate reader wouldnt fit in the boot of the volvo s40???

tintin wrote: »
    Ever notice on road wars the extra rear view mirror for the observer next to the drivers internal mirror?? handy little gimick and for what extra cost?! Wasnt there an issue recently though that the new automatic reg. plate reader wouldnt fit in the boot of the volvo s40???

ya it would be cheap alright.there is an issue in germany at the moment about the legality of the anpr, hope it doesnt spread here

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭roadruner

shakin wrote: »
    unlikely

Pity

BMW M5's work for the germans
    And BMW 3's & 5's do the job for the london coppers.
    Doubt the irish budget would stretch so far :)

Way more taxpayers money should be pumped into protecting us! God knows we pay enough

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭cushtac

ya it would be cheap alright.there is an issue in germany at the moment about the legality of the anpr, hope it doesnt spread here

Germany doesn't work off the Common Law system, so it's doubtful if any challenge there would affect it's use here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭cushtac

i was thinking more cars being chased rather then a bull. i didnt know bullbars were specifically made for impact with bulls?:rolleyes:

Garda don't go ramming other cars.

cushtac wrote: »
    Garda don't go ramming other cars.

no but wouldnt it defend the car in a pursuit a bit better?

roadruner wrote: »
    Pity

BMW M5's work for the germans
    And BMW 3's & 5's do the job for the london coppers.
    Doubt the irish budget would stretch so far :)

Way more taxpayers money should be pumped into protecting us! God knows we pay enough

ya but its not all bmws in london they have their share of 1.4 cars id imagine, you see a lot of astra hatchbacks on road wars(not necessarily london i know)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭Musashi

Aye i know. I found a company here in Ireland, www.caulfield.ie , that sell the authentic maglite led replacement unit. Ordered it last week. Should probably ring them and see where the hell it is.
    TheNog is offline Report Post Reply With Quote

As far as I know, the Maglite LED unit has poor heatsinking, means the light will dim as it heats up and eventually quit altogether. There are better drop in LEDs for Maglites though, battery life extends x Six and less breakage as there is no filament to go if dropped or struck. You can go all out and instal an aspheric lens for throw with a super bright bulb for Lumen output.

http://www.lighthound.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2559

http://www.lighthound.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=3372

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=169749

Surefire now do LED lamps as well, but if I were a Garda I'd be looking at Fenix! I've a semi custom Nuwai QIII that throws 120 lumens for half an hour on a CR123a battery, no good for use every night! Fenix have LED light using AA batteries that can go from 8 lumen for general lighting to 120 Lumen Turbo modes, and a lot cheaper to run than custom lamps!

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/

http://www.fenix-store.com/

https://www.fenix-store.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_69_71&products_id=195

That's 2xAA giving Two modes of output, selected by turning the bezel:

General Mode: 9 lumens (55hrs) -> 40 lumens (10.5hrs) -> 80 lumens (4hrs) -> SOS

Turbo Mode: 135 lumens (2.4hrs) -> Strobe

Of course I have lights by Mag, Inova, Nuwai, and some custom jobbies, but for general use a Mini-Mag with LED or a C/D cell Mag with LED is all the light you could ask for! Fenix would be Gucci kit, but imo worth it.

Musashi wrote: »
    As far as I know, the Maglite LED unit has poor heatsinking, means the light will dim as it heats up and eventually quit altogether.

Are you sure about that? I'm not, I have a 6-cell Mag converted with a Mag-Led module and it works just fine. Though by the rest of your posts, I'm assuming you'd meant Mag AA/AAA bulbs, which blacken out in no time and are, imho, rubbish. I've not had any problem with bulbs for Mag torcehs, except of course poor battery consumption.

The best torch seems to be the surefire LED units, you can get one for about £55 I see on some internet retailers.

BTW, I always thought the third wing mirror on the traffic cars (typically big volvo estates) was for the driver, to remove a blind spot, not for the passenger seat. Thoughts on this and this apparent blind spot?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

Ultravid wrote: »
    BTW, I always thought the third wing mirror on the traffic cars (typically big volvo estates) was for the driver, to remove a blind spot, not for the passenger seat. Thoughts on this and this apparent blind spot?

I always presumed it was for the observer but could be wrong. Would be a handy thing to have nonetheless.

TheNog wrote: »
    I always presumed it was for the observer but could be wrong. Would be a handy thing to have nonetheless.
    My guess is it's useful for overtaking and pulling in again quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Eru

anyone that drives a patrol car is taking a needless risk with their careers and thats a fact!

Cars not suitable for prisoners, no additional protection against collisions and no protection in law concerning lights, sirens and responding to an emergency!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭Musashi

Are you sure about that? I'm not, I have a 6-cell Mag converted with a Mag-Led module and it works just fine. Though by the rest of your posts, I'm assuming you'd meant Mag AA/AAA bulbs, which blacken out in no time and are, imho, rubbish.

Not sure but going by what the flashaholics (Jamies) on CandlePowerForums tell me the actual Mag Instruements LED drop in conversion is a poor unit. If you have one take a look at it. There is no contact with the torch body, meaning heat can't drain away so the LED (Despite running cooler than incan. bulbs) gets hot and dies off over time. Drop in LED Units from other makers include heatsinking to a degree and last longer as well as producing more usable light. CPF has all the graphs to show this including heat over time type studies. I have fallen asleep with my mini mag left on, Terralux LED still on when I woke, but it had melted Mags' plastic reflector.

The larger Maglites with a Terralux LED can be fitted with custom metal reflectors, smooth (throw) or "Orange Peel" (density, no more holes or dark spots in the beam). As I said, using an Aspherical lens will give throw into hundreds of metres, especially if combined with a ROP (Roar Of the Pelican) lamp assembly. For ease of use and zero work, a nice Fenix will fill most uses for belt kit. Drop an ARC or ORB RAW in the pocket and you are set for life!

I usually carry a Surefire Incan. E2D or semi custom Nuwai QIII with a Cree emitter and UCL (Ultra Clear Lens), but my Inova or Mini Mag won't leave me down either way.

LED is the way ahead, more life, sucks the guts out of batteries and Bright!

At the moment, unless we are talking weapon lights (Gladius or Surefire) then Fenix and Terralux are the way to go.

I agree that the Mag Incan. bulbs are fragile and expensive rubbish, but these drop ins have resurrected a few lights I thought were past it!

amsolmod.jpg for the single AAA lights, keyring stuff!

tltle5k2.jpg for the minimag, I have three and they are good!

tltle6ex.jpg for the larger C/D cell lights, mini spotlights but you need new lenses!

FLLBF521mm.jpg Ultra clear lens, 90%+ light transmission and no melting!

fllmmucl.jpg Same Borofloat lens for a MiniMag, must get several!

mlmmreflect.jpg Minimag reflector, if your building a light for work you may as well go all out!

I hope this has helped dome Garda out there, the LED Lenser is a decent light, but as always there's a lot better out there for small money. Mate of mine is up in Templemore, guess what I'm getting him a present of ;)

Advertisement