Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where are all the Catholics???

Options
  • 06-12-2007 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭

Greetings brothers and sisters in Christ!

I often wonder that in a country which is supposedly mainly Catholic (86%?) that there are so few active Catholics on this forum!

I seem to be the only one around here actively advocating and defending Catholic teachings. There are many times when I could do with some moral support when "battling" with several Protestants/non-catholics.

Why is this?

I thought it might be a good idea to have a catholic sub-forum under Christianity but would there be any point?

I really think it's a poor reflection on Catholics at the end of the day. While I think that infant baptism is perfectly valid, being a sacrament, adult baptism has the advantage that the "candidate" has consciously made the decision to be a disciple of Christ. I feel that many Catholics don't appreciate their faith and fall away from the Church due to poor education/misunderstandings in/about the faith, bad and often unfair media, apathy and the usual worldly snares/lures.

So Catholics out there, why are you in hiding!? Come out and be counted!

(And I need more support :))

God bless you all! :)
    Noel.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

kelly1 wrote: »

Maybe they have seen the light and have become converts :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭SuperSean11

There are many times when I could do with some moral support when "battling" with several Protestants/non-catholics.

Noel.

Thats very christian of you, fighting with people because of there beliefs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

Maybe they have seen the light and have become converted :)
    ha ha :) No, they're mostly lapsed. The lack of attendance at Mass is very concerning.

Thats very christian of you, fighting with people because of there beliefs.
    Hello SS, nice to meet you.

To me it seems like a battle at times. It's a debate of course.

P.S. Your judgement of me is un-Christian too. Have you read my posts?

Nice to meet you Kelly1 ill try to pop over to the Christianity forum from time to time for a look from now on

• Advertisement

ha ha :) No, they're mostly lapsed. The lack of attendance at Mass is very concerning.
    Theres 7 remaining Catholics in my family and I dont think any of them have set foot in a Church (except for weddings & funerals) for well over 10 years!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

Why battling? Aren't we all Christians? (RuOrthodox)

Does seem to be a lack of practicing (in a Mass/prayer sense) of Catholic people on this forum, but variety is always good:)

Theres 7 remaining Catholics in my family and I dont think any of them have set foot in a Church (except for weddings & funerals) for well over 10 years!.
    I'd well believe it. None of my friends have any interest in Christianity never mind Catholicism. Most are atheist/agnostic or neo-pagan/new-age adherents. God have mercy on us!

BanzaiBk wrote: »
    Why battling? Aren't we all Christians? (RuOrthodox)

Does seem to be a lack of practicing (in a Mass/prayer sense) of Catholic people on this forum, but variety is always good:)
    Hello BanzaiBk, greetings :)

Battling is too strong a word hence I put it in quotes but I frequently feel like the lone ranger on this forum. Yes we are all Christians but I have the brass neck to claim that Jesus founded the Catholic Church and that it is the only Christian church that teach the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

Naturally that leaves me open to a bit of fire - sometimes not so friendly :)

God bless,
    Noel.

I'd well believe it. None of my friends have any interest in Christianity never mind Catholicism. Most are atheist/agnostic or neo-pagan/new-age adherents. God have mercy on us!
    So realistically speaking you could probably reverse that figure of 86% around to 14% it would be more of a realistic figure for practicing Catholics in Ireland. Although most of those 86% will eventually be burried at a Catholic funeral service.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I am Christian but don't consider myself Catholic, even though I was raised that way. I would more consider myself a protestant actually, though I am and probably always will be an 'official' catholic.

HavoK wrote: »
    I am Christian but don't consider myself Catholic, even though I was raised that way. I would more consider myself a protestant actually, though I am and probably always will be an 'official' catholic.

Why do you think of yourself protestant? im just wondering

Why do you think of yourself protestant? im just wondering

I believe simply in what I feel is right, and it just so happens to contradict everything I've been taught, being far closer to the ideals of Protestantism then Catholicism.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭ryoishin

Hey,

Sometimes I think that people dont come here for serious dialouge (not all) but just a bashing session. But what can you do! Id consider myself Catholic and really people in Ireland have either only a small understanding or untrue ideas of what being a Christian is about. Well from my experience.

Sorry for the bad spelling.

So realistically speaking you could probably reverse that figure of 86% around to 14% it would be more of a realistic figure for practicing Catholics in Ireland. Although most of those 86% will eventually be burried at a Catholic funeral service.
    I don't think it's quite that bad but if you were to count those who put God at the centre of the lives, it could be that low but I hope not!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

There are many times when I could do with some moral support when "battling" with several Protestants/non-catholics
    make a point/argument etc i agree with,and i'd "battle" alongside you :D
    that is if your army is open to pagans ;)

I believe simply in what I feel is right, and it just so happens to contradict everything I've been taught, being far closer to the ideals of Protestantism then Catholicism.
    Greetings HavoK :)

May I pry and ask what difficulties you have with the Catholic faith?

God bless,
    Noel.

No real difficulties as such, but I'm not inclined to believe in Gods authority being transferable for a start :)

No real difficulties as such, but I'm not inclined to believe in Gods authority being transferable for a start :)
    It is scriptural...

John 20:23 Whose sins you [ the apostles] shall forgive, they are forgiven them; and whose sins you shall retain, they are retained.

Isn't this an account of Jesus granting the apostles the authority to forgive sins? The same goes for the authority to teach and baptize in Christ's name:-

Matthew 28:18 And Jesus coming, spoke to them, saying: All power is given to me in heaven and in earth. 19 Going therefore, teach ye all nations; baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost.

John 10:16 He that heareth you [the apostles], heareth me; and he that despiseth you, despiseth me; and he that despiseth me, despiseth him that sent me.

Peace,
    Noel.

Scripture never helps when talking to people who are nt Christian. People want more structured philosophical dialouge.

• Advertisement

ryoishin wrote: »
    Scripture never helps when talking to people who are nt Christian. People want more structured philosophical dialouge.
    Thanks ryoshin but HavoK is Christian.:confused:

sorry did nt mean it to sound like that. but even amoung Christians Scripture often wont help. (like i mean its important but "it says so in the book" often turns people off.) I think a Scripture arguement helps amoung like minded belivers but can often divide.

ryoishin wrote: »
    sorry did nt mean it to sound like that. but even amoung Christians Scripture often wont help. (like i mean its important but "it says so in the book" often turns people off.) I think a Scripture arguement helps amoung like minded belivers but can often divide.
    Yes, I agree. e.g. different interpretations of scripture can be a major sticking point among Christians.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Even allowing for recent dramatic fall offs in mass attendance I think there would still be more Catholics observing their faith in Ireland than all the other denominations put together. So why so few Catholics on this board? I think there are several reasons.

1. The Catholic Church in Ireland would tend to be retaining more old people and less young people, whereas evangelical churches are predominantly composed of the younger sector of the population. For example, last Sunday I preached to a Pentecostal congregation of 500, but I would reckon there would there were probably only about 20 of that number aged over 50. Internet discussion boards tend not to attract too many wrinklies. Therefore this method of communication would be more appealing to the average evangelical than it would be to the average Catholic.

2. Many Catholics are not used to having defend it or discuss their faith with others of differing views. Catholicism has traditionally been seen as the Irish religion almost by default, whereas evangelicals, as a minority, are more used to being challenged about their faith.

3. Many Catholics have imbibed their faith since childhood and therefore lack the fervency of new converts. It is noticeable that Noel, the most vocal Catholic poster on this board, had left his faith and then returned to it - hence his zeal is similar to that of evangelicals who mainly converted during youth or adulthood.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Splendour

P.S. Your judgement of me is un-Christian too. Have you read my posts?

Though I may not agree with everything kelly1 has to say, he is always a gentleman and never offensive in his posts (not that I've seen anyway!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 laughin'joe

Were are all the Catholics gone....good question but first you have to ask why are they gone and not were. Seriously have you lived in Ireland the last few years, with all the crap the Catholic Chruch done on the people in this country you ask that question. The youth of today seen first hand what the chruch are capable of and me and the rest of my age bracket suffered at the hands of these so called men of God. Take for instance hiding all the pedo's around the world to avoid being locked up or charged, yes this is your church the lies and the constant denial of these sick twisted people they employed. Let it be Christian Brothers, Nuns or Priests I have had experiance with them all and I have no time for either of them. Our country is ruled by religion and it is now pulling away from it and we are liberated finally. Everything years ago in this country was based around the Chruch and how many roofs have there been events for...how many roofs do these chruches need and being the most powerful and richest religion in the world and preaching "God helps those who help theselves" why are they always asking for our help ?? and then we have the spread, enormous spread of HIV in Africa were the Chruch moved in and done it's preaching about sex and the no no on condoms, yes they helped these people but at what cost....to the world. I feel religion is dying out because more and more have had it with it, all it does it make you think there is something missing in your life and there isn't really. I grew up in the 80's in Ireland and while we were all starving the Chruch was eating great and still asking for money....is this greed ??? I think so. Forgive me for being blunt but for me there is GOD, we don't have to go to some place to pray to him ,after all is not Jesus who said Iam all around and you can pray to me when ever you want I will hear and why is the Chruch holding back on the gospel of Thomas ??? In his Gospel he has said the Jesus himself said not to build buildings in his or his Fathers name but to spread the word of God and love your fellow man. Not kill milions to take the Holy Land and anyone that doesn't believe kill them, are we forgetting that the Catholic Chruch has killed more people than Hitler and yet he was the most and still is the most evil person ever on the planet. And what about the Popes are we forgetting about the history of the Chruch. I believe all religions are praying to the same GOD they just got different messengers/profits and when you think about it all these Bibles were written by men and after the so called "profit" had died and does it seem strange that all the religions don't give women an inch in the books and women have still are feeling the effects of this in modern life.

I often wonder that in a country which is supposedly mainly Catholic (86%?) that there are so few active Catholics on this forum!

I seem to be the only one around here actively advocating and defending Catholic teachings. There are many times when I could do with some moral support when "battling" with several Protestants/non-catholics.

Why is this?

I thought it might be a good idea to have a catholic sub-forum under Christianity but would there be any point?

I really think it's a poor reflection on Catholics at the end of the day. While I think that infant baptism is perfectly valid, being a sacrament, adult baptism has the advantage that the "candidate" has consciously made the decision to be a disciple of Christ. I feel that many Catholics don't appreciate their faith and fall away from the Church due to poor education/misunderstandings in/about the faith, bad and often unfair media, apathy and the usual worldly snares/lures.

(And I need more support :))

God bless you all! :)
    Noel.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭SubjectSean

all the religions don't give women an inch in the books and women have still are feeling the effects of this in modern life.

Well then they should have made up their own religions instead of jumping on the bandwagon with the ones we'd invented shouldn't they? They've only themselves to blame IMHO :)

Hey,

I dont know how to put other peoples quotes up so sorry if this is all over the place.

I dont think alot of Catholics feel like they need to defend their faith or the Church. Young people (like myself) dont like the rigid regimental church structure that was so characteristic of the Irish church scene. I think its starting to develop a bit sometimes in both the right and wrong direction. Young people want more of the spiritualistic aspects of faith which is very rich in the Catholic faith but has never been apart of public teaching in schools and to the community in general.

Theres a genuine lack of a spiritual experience for young people for many reasons.

Language has changed meaning as time has gone on and so some of the teachings seem outdated.

I think that the Catholic faith has to be a living experince for people and not just an obligation.

I think the treatment of women in the past was cultural thing and not just a church invention. But sure the Church did nt help. theres only one place in Scripture that i can think of that is "anti-women" but thats a different think altogether.

(Im not making any sense)

sorry for the bad spelling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

That's just encouraging division.

We are one under Christ Jesus, Jew or Gentile, male or female, slave or free.

• Advertisement

Good points raised there PDN.
    PDN wrote: »
    1. The Catholic Church in Ireland would tend to be retaining more old people and less young people, whereas evangelical churches are predominantly composed of the younger sector of the population. For example, last Sunday I preached to a Pentecostal congregation of 500, but I would reckon there would there were probably only about 20 of that number aged over 50. Internet discussion boards tend not to attract too many wrinklies. Therefore this method of communication would be more appealing to the average evangelical than it would be to the average Catholic.
    Yes sound about right. I'd suggest that many younger people have left the Church because they can't accept it's moral teachings. "I'm not having any pope tell me what I can put on my John-thomas!" etc. I imagine that most "traditional" churches are finding a fall-off in membership due to the lures of "the devil, the world and the flesh".
    PDN wrote: »
    3. Many Catholics have imbibed their faith since childhood and therefore lack the fervency of new converts. It is noticeable that Noel, the most vocal Catholic poster on this board, had left his faith and then returned to it - hence his zeal is similar to that of evangelicals who mainly converted during youth or adulthood.
    Yes, agreed, like a reformed alcoholic! The CC does a very poor job of evangelizing in this country but I think that will (must) change.

God bless,
    Noel.

Advertisement