Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Famous atheists

Options
  • 06-12-2007 11:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks,

I think this website is interesting: http://www.celebatheists.com

It basically is just a list of well-known people believed to be atheists, and quotes from them suggesting as much. Some of them are a bit vague, but others quite explicit.

There are some suprising ones on there and ones I wasn't aware of.

eg.
    Lance Armstrong
    Interviewer: "For a miracleman, you're not very religious."

Armstrong: "I don't have anything against organized religion per se. We all need something in our lives. I personally just have not accepted that belief. But I'm one of the few."

Noam Chomsky
    "As for the various religions, there's no doubt that they are very meaningful to adherents, and allow them to delude themselves into thinking there is some meaning to their lives beyond what we agree is the case. I'd never try to talk them out of the delusions, which are necessary for them to live a life that makes some sense to them. These beliefs can provide a framework for deeds that are noble or savage, and anywhere in between, and there's every reason to focus attention on the deeds and the background for them, to the extent that we can grasp it."

Noel Gallagher
    "The hard-living Oasis star Noel Gallagher has revealed to the New Musical Express that he has read Richard Dawkins' book The God Delusion and loved it. 'Anything that disproves God, bring it on,' he is quoted as saying."

Sir Ian McKellen
    He doesn't know God, but does love a good congregation. ("I was brought up a Christian, low church, and I like the community of churchgoing. That's rather been replaced for me by the community of people I work with. I like a sense of family, of people working together. But I'm an atheist. So God, if She exists, isn't really a part of my life.") -- from a January 19, 1996 profile by Tim Appelo found in Mr. Showbiz.

Interesting indeed...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭SubjectSean

Yes very interesting. Noel is one of my all time favourite philosopher poets. Are these celebs saying Einstein was wrong?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Are these celebs saying Einstein was wrong?

Wrong about what? General Relativity?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭stereoroid

Depends on what you mean. Einstein had some Deistic beliefs, but got annoyed when Theists took that to mean he was on their side.

When it comes to those Deistic beliefs: yes, Einstein was wrong. I have no trouble saying so, and it doesn't bother me if anyone else says that, either. He might not think the same way were he here today, a century later. Still, he got the important stuff right, and that's what we remember him for: just like Newton, Faraday, and Kelvin. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Fallen Seraph

Einstein was wrong about loads of things.

Quantum mechanics for example. That was kinda a biggie.

stereoroid wrote: »
    Still, he got the important stuff right, and that's what we remember him for: just like Newton, Faraday, and Kelvin. :)

Indeed. All God botherers :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

wasn't newton an alchemist too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Mordeth wrote: »
    wasn't newton an alchemist too?

Actually Newton was an alchemist, who in his spare time developed a little bit of science. He spent years working on alchemy. Though in fairness to him it was hundreds of years ago before a detailed knowledge of chemistry, so he didn't really have a reason to believe it couldn't be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

My personal favourites -

Richard Dawkins (God among atheists :D )
    Karl popper
    Ian Mckellen

Other interesting ones -

Isaac Asimov
    Marie Curie
    Thomas edison
    Michael Shermer
    Jodie Foster
    Seth green
    Angelina jolie
    Bruce lee
    Julianne Moore
    Jack nicholson
    Christopher Reeve
    Penn & Teller
    Gene Rodenberry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I heard a rumour that Richard Dawkins is actually a dirty fence-sitting closet agnostic............. Just throwing that idea out there! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Theists:

Footballers:
    Kaka
    Cambiasso
    Adriano
    Kanoute
    Messi

Others:
    Leonardo Da Vinci
    Lorenzo de' Medici.

Pick the right team...pick the winning team. I will give ye Bruce Lee though..good signing.

• Advertisement

Theists: yore ma

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Theists:

Footballers:
    Kaka
    Cambiasso
    Adriano
    Kanoute
    Messi

Others:
    Leonardo Da Vinci
    Lorenzo de' Medici.

Pick the right team...pick the winning team. I will give ye Bruce Lee though..good signing.
    Topic of thread: Famous atheists

Topic of your post: Famous theists

Therefore, your post is: Off topic

Thus, I recommend: You are executed and/or banned

good god man, you're an atheist *and* you don't drink? what the hell do you do?

DaveMcG wrote: »
    Topic of thread: Famous atheists

Topic of your post: Famous theists

Therefore, your post is: Off topic

Thus, I recommend: You are executed and/or banned

Is that really the Atheist way? I'm suprised by the hatred and anger shown by a poster of this forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Asbad wrote: »
    My personal favourites -

Richard Dawkins (God among atheists :D )
    Karl popper
    Ian Mckellen

Other interesting ones -

Isaac Asimov
    Marie Curie
    Thomas edison
    Michael Shermer
    Jodie Foster
    Seth green
    Angelina jolie
    Bruce lee
    Julianne Moore
    Jack nicholson
    Christopher Reeve
    Penn & Teller
    Gene Rodenberry

Edison was probably more of an agnostic, or possibly a deist.
    A couple of Edison quotes:
    "I do not believe in the God of the theologians; but that there is a Supreme Intelligence I do not doubt."
    (concerning whether there was an afterlife) "It does not matter. No one knows."

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,284 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Now, now esteban, what have you been told about trolling? It's bad, remember? Now repeat after me - trolling is bad.

You've already posted tonight that you're not a troll, and yet according to Wikipedia a troll:
    is someone who intentionally posts controversial or contrary messages in an on-line community such as an on-line discussion forum or group with the singular intention of baiting users into an argumentative response.

Now given that this discussion is about famous atheists, your post was intentionally contrary and you quite clearly had the singular intention of baiting the other posters into an argumentative response, ergo, you are a troll. If you want to start a discussion about famous theists may I direct you to the Christianity forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭stereoroid

Indeed. All God botherers :)
    Indeed - that is why I mentioned Faraday, for example, instead of, say Nikola Tesla, and could have mentioned Maxwell too. They did not let their religion stop them from doing science, partly because in their days religion was "normal". It was what you did, without thinking about it too hard, because what were the alternatives? Defying the Church in Victorian Britain carried very real consequences, including loss of employment or tenure, yet what's that about "by their works ye shall know them"?

I'd say that their religion in many an instance was what actually pushed them to describe the universe. I do have to confess to finding some wry amusement in the fact that nearly the entirety of scientific progress has been made by men who were fervent lovers of God. Seemingly perhaps It was favouring them over the Athiests :) I wonder if any Athiests have ever made an important scientific discovery?

the fact that you read this thread and still asked that question disqualifies you from an answer.

the fact that you read this thread and still asked that question disqualifies you from an answer.

Er..well yes I can see that now.

Marie Curie & Richard Dawkins. Is that really it?

No Atheist giants at all?

• Advertisement

carl sagan
    richard feynman would be another

and to be honest, you're kind of hurting your argument. If you're saying that all the greatest scientists and thinkers of the world have been religious, it doesn't say an awful lot for the state of religion that they have been unable to prove the existence of god.

and to be honest, you're kind of hurting your argument. If you're saying that all the greatest scientists and thinkers of the world have been religious, it doesn't say an awful lot for the state of religion that they have been unable to prove the existence of god.

Yes I'm saying that all our greatest scientists and thinkers have been religious and many of them deeply so. Perhaps these ones who were aware of God on a personal level didn't feel the need to 'prove' anything. Perhaps they felt the proof was already all out there and blindingly obvious. What kind of proof would you require?

Compared beside the genius calibre of candidates in the God-accepting group Carl Sagan and the other fellow you mention are strictly B list I feel. I feel bound to mention therefore that so far the Atheist candidates have been somewhat sub-standard. Is it true to say that Athiests have contributed virtually nothing to the greater good?

.....ok

you can feel all you want, you still don't know what you're talking about.

.....ok

you can feel all you want, you still don't know what you're talking about.

An unsubstantiated claim. I feel :)

I don't see your objection. You think Feynman is the equal of Pythagoras or Einstein perhaps? Or does it just rankle you that all of our greatest thinkers have had a conception of God?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

It's usually around this point of the discussion that someone pipes up with the Pythonesque line of "If they were alive today then they would probably be atheists". I've seen this used in the last few weeks about both Galileo and Einstein.

The correct response, of course, is "And if my mother was a chimpanzee then I would be your brother."

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

PDN wrote: »
    It's usually around this point of the discussion that someone pipes up with the Pythonesque line of "If they were alive today then they would probably be atheists". I've seen this used in the last few weeks about both Galileo and Einstein.

The correct response, of course, is "And if my mother was a chimpanzee then I would be your brother."

Great-uncle, possibly.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

An unsubstantiated claim. I feel :)

I don't see your objection. You think Feynman is the equal of Pythagoras or Einstein perhaps? Or does it just rankle you that all of our greatest thinkers have had a conception of God?

Then again, somebody being good at science or being a 'great' thinker does not make them infallible.
    Most of them believed stupid things.
    They were smart all right, b ut most people put a far greater emphasis on their intelligence than they would.
    Why should anybody care about what anybody in the past thought, regarding this?

Pythagoras did make it so that vegetarians were called pythagoreans though, which is a much better name.
    All hail God Pythagoras.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

PDN wrote: »
    Edison was probably more of an agnostic, or possibly a deist.
    A couple of Edison quotes:
    "I do not believe in the God of the theologians; but that there is a Supreme Intelligence I do not doubt."
    (concerning whether there was an afterlife) "It does not matter. No one knows."

I happily stand corrected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Son Goku

You think Feynman is the equal of Pythagoras or Einstein perhaps?
    To be fair quotes like this are fairly standard on internet message boards. Both the work of Feynman and Einstein are postgraduate level topics in physics and to rank them against each other if you don't know their work is a bit silly.

First of all Pythagoras and most of the other famous Greek mathematicians are not the true great mathematicians of Ancient Greece. For instance Euclid was a compiler, none of the "Elements" is his own work. Also Crucio, who invented irrational numbers was probably the greatest genius of ancient greek mathematics, yet he is never mentioned. It's actually hard to find a mention of him on the web.

Most of the great innovations in science took place in the twentieth century and most of the great scientists lived during that time. Since it is my area here is the greatest physicists and mathematicians ranked roughly in terms of importance with their religous beliefs. References for my list available. I just thought it might be interesting since this tends to pop up every now and then

Physicists:

Albert Einstein - Spinozian (effectively a believer in Plato's prime mover with no extra philosophical properties like compassion) with Agnostic leanings.
    Isaac Newton - Christian, Non-denominational with leanings toward mystery religions.
    Paul Andreas Maurice Dirac - Athiest
    Galileo Galilei - Christian, Catholic
    James Clarke Maxwell - Christian, Personally Non-denominational
    John Bardeen - Unknown
    Julian Schwinger - Unknown
    Richard Feynman - Athiest
    Ludwig Boltzmann - Athiest/Christian, hard to know, however probably Christian for the majority of his life.
    Erwin Schrodinger - Christian, Catholic
    Werner Heisenberg - Athiest
    Wolfgang Pauli - Mystic
    Abdus Salam - Muslim, Ahmadi (some Muslims argue that Ahmadi are non-muslims, however I'll leave it as he saw it.)
    Steven Weinberg - Athiest
    Sin-Itiro Tomonaga - Japanese Ancestor worship.

Mathematicans:

Carl Friedrich Gauss - Christian, Lutheran
    Muhammad ibn Mūsā al-Khwārizmī - Muslim, denomination unclear, possibly Shī'a.
    Crucio - Tunisian sun worship.
    Leonhard Euler - Christian, Calvanist
    Bernhard Riemann - Christian, Lutheran
    Georg Cantor - Kabbalah Christian and later mathematical deist
    Augustin Louis Cauchy - Christian, Catholic
    Gottfried Leibniz - Christian
    Siméon Denis Poisson - Athiest
    Joseph Louis Lagrange - Athiest
    Henri Poincaré - Chrsitian, anti-clerical Catholic
    Karl Weierstrass - Christian, Lutheran
    Évariste Galois - Athiest
    Alexander Grothendieck - Unknown, possibly now a Christian, but he has disappeared.
    Kurt Godel - Athiest
    Gerolamo Cardano - Christian, Catholic

Perhaps somebody with more knowledge in the relevant areas might list some biologists and chemists.

• Advertisement

Che Guevara was an Atheist.

Advertisement