Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do you not drink?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭source

I had a lovely incident with a bottle of sambucca a few years ago, and still get violently ill at the smell of it, since then i've drank a little but not very often and now i just get ill if i even have a pint...and i'm not talking about the next day either it usually happens about half an hour after having a pint, so the drink is not for me. I also don't like not being in control of my actions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Man, reading this, I feel like I've wasted the last 12 or so years of my life boozing (I'm 29). I'm definitely gonna give the last year of my 20's the best chance - save cash, stay happy, healthy and fit.

And no, I'm not drunk now - just an industrial strength insomniac (probably brought on by years of drink :D).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭gillyfromlyre

I haven't drank in 6 years, I bought myself a €40 bottle of wine 3 years ago with the intention of stylishly letting loose for christmas day only to find it gone, the hubby polished it off xmas eve, I took that as a sign, the hand of god in disguise, and haven't ventured near an off license since

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,478 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

If I might troll briefly for a moment...

In a lot of the other threads in this forum, people bemoan being in a pub and being asked why they don't drink. So why is it more acceptable to be asked your reasons on the internet?

People in the pub are probably either:
    (a) interested in why you are not drinking because it's unusual and unusual=interesting
    (b) just making conversation.

So is there any reason why explaining your reasons is fine on the internet but not fine in real life situations?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

You only have to do it once on the internet.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,478 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Earthhorse wrote: »
    You only have to do it once on the internet.

Ok, but it seems to me that that is inevitable and is not something to get annoyed about. For example, if I meet some friends that I haven't seen in a long time, they will probably all ask the same questions - how are you? what have you been up to? where are you working? etc and if 10 people all ask the same questions it can get repetitive, but it wouldn't bother me because I know they are all just trying to make conversation and that's not a problem. I believe it is the same when people ask non-drinkers why they are not drinking, and to get annoyed by that is kinda like an unemployed person getting annoyed because people ask what he does for a living.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭NonDrinkersClub

Ok, but it seems to me that that is inevitable and is not something to get annoyed about. For example, if I meet some friends that I haven't seen in a long time, they will probably all ask the same questions - how are you? what have you been up to? where are you working? etc and if 10 people all ask the same questions it can get repetitive, but it wouldn't bother me because I know they are all just trying to make conversation and that's not a problem. I believe it is the same when people ask non-drinkers why they are not drinking, and to get annoyed by that is kinda like an unemployed person getting annoyed because people ask what he does for a living.

Hiya JS...still trollin' I see...yeah, I reckon the reason why people are asking this question here is pretty obvious don't ya think? The best way I can put it is that it makes non-drinkers feel like there are others out there who don't drink for the same reasons as them and it makes them feel better.

Asking someone 'how are you? what have you been up to? where are you working? etc' ten times is fine because the answer usually changes from day to day. Asking someone why they don't drink over and over is annoying. It's like asking someone why do they wear t-shirts everyday. The answer doesn't change.

I don't show it on the outside but it does annoy me a bit when the same person keeps asking me why I don't drink. I think it's great that people are free to discuss this on the forum. It's not like everyone is so uppity that they're walking out of the pub everytime someone asks them! It's nice to hear what other people's experiences are.

An unemployed person can go get a job and stop the questions. In many cases, a non-drinker doesn't have a choice in the matter. Having a job is a good thing. Drinking isn't a good thing for a lot of people.

You are so concerned with this forum, but why? You seem to be the only person here who agrees with yourself. Why not check out the Drinkers forum? I'm not giving out though - feel free to post here but maybe consider your audience first.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Yeah, I think it is more that you have to explain yourself to the same people over and over again. I don't mind strangers, people I've just been introduced to, asking me why I don't drink for the first time. It's people you've repeatedly explained your reasons to but somehow feel compelled to ask you again. It took years before many of my friends would accept the fact that I was ordering a soft drink or not ordering anything at all. And, as NDC says, we're not as sensitive as all that, it's just a little frustrating sometimes is all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,771 ✭✭✭TommyGunne

Just to introduce a counterpoint, I do drink, and think its fantastic. It makes me feel warm and fuzzy and happy on the inside!

Yummy yummy yummy I got Jagerbombers in my tummy!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

I would on average only have about 6 or 7 bottles of bud on a night out. Enough to get me merry but that a bit of dancing at the the end of the night would quickly burn off. I'd always be back on the verge of sober when it was time to go home. I would never have a hangover after those nights.

So I was by no means a heavy drinker to start off with but when you add up the other expenses like taxi's and entrance fees and cloakroom fee's and a bit of grub on the way home, you are still talking about €100 for a night out.

I did a bit of math and I realised that even a light drinker like myself was spending about €400 a month on drink for just 4 or 5 nights. Now I enjoyed those nights with a few drinks but not 'that' much. I knew I was capable of having 95% as good a night without any drink as I had often done that too. Not drinking would also save me Taxi fares as I could drive and would save me crappy takeaway bills cause I wouldn't get the munchies.

So by not drinking I saved 400 euro a month. Added that to the 400 euro a month I was already spending on a car, traded in said car and bought

this........

darren018aqu5.jpg

This is why I haven't had a drop of alcohol in 2 years. Worth it? You betcha!

Now, if only I could give up the smokes as easy, then I could afford an Audi R8!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭NonDrinkersClub

Nice! :D go you

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Feeling down one Sunday, in bed, 4pm, 60 euro down. I was just pondering stuff, looking at the ceiling, I said to myself, ' ..this is crap'. Stopped cold on August 16th, 2007.

Nothing is instant.. took a good few weeks, but I soon noticed my skin cleared up and I could shave without looking like I'd been mugged by a bag of cats.

Enough of an incentive for me.

Took about 3 months before I stopped 'thinking' of drink walking into Dublin, or getting anxious at the thought of being without it.

My Mum was amazed, she thought I'd joined a cult, very pleased. It is great to get feedback from your family and to realise things get better, which they have.

A six pack or a bottle of spirits is a mouldy crutch to lean on.

My reason's pretty simple - I don't like the taste of the stuff. I also tend to puke which is a serious turn off for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭experiMental

I hate the taste of beer. I also get hammered after two pints. Most important reason, though, is that I can't make up pretentious comments when I'm drunk. I get 90% of my credibility for them :D

Advertisement